Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Galaxyhunter

Wheel Bearing Grease

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Galaxyhunter

A couple of weeks ago I was inspecting my brakes. to do that, you need to remove the outer bearing.  To my dismay, I was shocked when I noticed how little grease was on the bearings. It was next to none. 

I realize that these are light weight trailers, and they have 12" tires & not the 8".  But even with that, I thought that there would be more grease from the factory then what I found.  I ordered a new pair of seals & repacked 

the bearings before I start out for  W. Virginia  tomorrow.  BTW, the markings on the seals " TKS "   "1710"   "10-80"  will get you nowhere at Advance Auto & Auto Zone.  I was able to get them at OReilly Auto.

Federal Mogul #40382

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

Glad you caught it, Carl and thanks for the 'Head Up'!!

jobe05

A couple of weeks ago I was inspecting my brakes. to do that, you need to remove the outer bearing.  To my dismay, I was shocked when I noticed how little grease was on the bearings. It was next to none. 

I realize that these are light weight trailers, and they have 12" tires & not the 8".  But even with that, I thought that there would be more grease from the factory then what I found.  I ordered a new pair of seals & repacked 

the bearings before I start out for  W. Virginia  tomorrow.  BTW, the markings on the seals " TKS "   "1710"   "10-80"  will get you nowhere at Advance Auto & Auto Zone.  I was able to get them at OReilly Auto.

Federal Mogul #40382

Good info on the seals!!  Good reminder for all if you get any new trailer, to check those bearings!!!

• Like 1

Pearl Rider

Already planed

See ya Tuesday

• Like 1

youngnbald

Already planed

See ya Tuesday

I will admit, I haven't checked the bearings.  Hope the camper is everything you wanted and more Alan!  Our new to us camper is a 2002.  I wonder how those bearings look?

Monkeytrucker

actually wheel bearings are not being packed heavily today.  It cuts drag, todays grease will stay in place, and all that is needed is just enough to form that little bit of lube.

The front wheel bearings on modern cars are packed like that.  They go hundreds of thousands of miles.  And they are factory sealed hubs that you just replace the hub assembly instead of repacking them.  Makes for easier and quicker assembly at factory.

Oh BTW, if you have a new Ford Fusion look in the spare tire wheel.  They are finding form fitted bundles of pot in them.  Guess that is how Ford in Mexico are making happy owners.

Pearl Rider

i made a good living replacing those factory packed bearings, so i think if i have my bearings in my hand and look at them and then pack them the way i been doing for years i will continue to do so but everybody has there own ideas

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

I still pack them much in the way we used to.  One thing people do is put those so called bearing buddies on their trailers.  I have questions about using those.  First question is really not that much of a question as a thought.  When grease is pumped into the bearing it is usually just the same grease as you would grease your tractor.  That is actually not a bad bearing grease.  The big problem is that some pump grease in in copious amounts and often.  Where does that grease go?  It fills the hub,drives grease thru the inner bearing and blows the wheel seal right out of its pocket.

Back in my oil field days we bought some special white grease that would not wash out with water.  It was supposedly good for wheel bearings so I used it.  It was great for greasing universal joints on all of our trucks.  It stopped those problems.  Would love it if a case of that stuff would fall off a truck in front of my home.  I cannot even remember the name of it.

AZgl1800

Lubriplate?

I remember my dad always kept that stuff on hand, he would grease up the clutch throwout bearings with it.

Monkeytrucker

No it was not lubriplate.  It was a grease that was not fat based.  Most grease will function as hand cleaner.  You put a drop of this grease in the palm of your hand and then put your had in a bucket of water and you could not wash is off.  Grease the pump jack bearings that have a heavy load on them and they are exposed to rain with that grease and you only had to re-grease them once a month or so.  Traditional soap/fat based grease would wash out in one rain.