Sign in to follow this  
Goldwings 4 Ever

What is a CKP Sensor?

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Goldwings 4 Ever

2014 Airbag.  Yesterday my bike wouldn't start.  Just rolled over but no fire.  The MIL threw out a code 19 which is the CKP sensor.  The sensor is under the front engine cover but I can't figure out what it is for.  Since it's under warranty I got it loaded in the trailer to take to the dealer, but before I left this morning I though I would give it one more try.  Bike fired right up and is running fine.  Started it several times over the day and then got brave enough to take it for a ride and all seems fine now.

jobe05

Crank position sensor.

No idea why it would work one minute and not the next.  Unless debris of some sort got in there and blocked it's ability to do what it does.

jobe05

Just did some quick checking and code 19 can be a couple of things, most commonly caused by a weak Battery......  Next time, IF it happens again, check the voltage on the battery and see what it is.  If it's lower than normal, yet can crank the bike, more than likely, that would be the culprit.

Goldwings 4 Ever

The battery voltage is fine.  My troubleshooting manual says to check the connector for corrosion or poor contact, however, the plug for the connector is under the air filter box and requires some major work to get at it.  If it doesn't cause me any more problems I'll wait until winter downtime to check it out.  I still don't know what this sensor is for.

• Like 1

Parman

Just another part for Mother Honda to make a buck off of us. lol

A crank sensor is an electronic device used in an internal combustion engine, both petrol and diesel, to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. This information is used by engine management systems to control the fuel injection or the ignition system timing and other engine parameters. Before electronic crank sensors were available, the distributor would have to be manually adjusted to a timing mark on petrol engines.

The crank sensor can be used in combination with a similar camshaft position sensor to monitor the relationship between the pistons and valves in the engine, which is particularly important in engines with variable valve timing. This method is also used to "synchronise" a four stroke engine upon starting, allowing the management system to know when to inject the fuel. It is also commonly used as the primary source for the measurement of engine speed in revolutions per minute. When it fails, there is a probability the engine will not start, or cut out while running.[cita

Cville

I had the same problem with my F6B, it has happened several times since it was new, it always started again the same day, maybe hours later, but it started.

About a month ago it didn't start again, 4 days it didn't start, code 19 every time. As you stated above the plug is under the air box, it was a big job for me but I had some really good help. I replaced my sensor and did the filter at the same time (20K). Parts were $94, got air filter, sensor, and a new gasket for the front engine cover.

It is running lake a champ again.

Cville

Goldwings 4 Ever

It's still only happened the one time. Mine is an airbag model which makes the airbox even more difficult to get to, however, I have 7 years warranty on this bike, so it won't be me changing it. :thumbs-up:

• Like 2

Indianawantsme

Goldwings4ever:     Did you get the dealer to fix it?

I didn't see this post until now.

I had a post about mine after yours. 

Mine did the same thing the one time and I had 10 days warranty left. They replaced the sensor and said they checked the connector, but not way up in the airbox area. Supposedly, just the closest one right above the chain cover. 

Goldwings 4 Ever

I haven't taken it to the dealer.  It's never done it since.  Unless they have changed it, the nearest connector is under the airbox.  There isn't one just above the chain cover.  I looked for one there to see if I could clean it up and it's not there.  I wouldn't put it past most dealers to cut the wires and install a connector to save them time on the warranty work.

Indianawantsme

I looked in the repair manual and you have to take half the bike apart to get to connector.  It says you have to take the gas tank out to get the airbox off.  What?    Such a simple part and some idiot at Honda makes you go through all that for a simple pulse generator replacement or to clean the connector. 

I had read somewhere that you can get to the connector by taking the panel off above the chain cover is why i posted that.  I probably can't find that info again and question whoever said that.  

No way they took all that apart since the dealer mechanic told me "it wasn't a bad job at all".  So how in the heck did he install the new pulse generator  without taking all that apart. I am pretty sure he didn't so he must have cut the wires.  Than i guess he lied when he told me he cleaned the connector and won't have problems for trip next year.  

I need to call the dealership and see if i can talk to the mechanic.  Be like pulling teeth probably.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Indianawantsme

Is my 2012 different than anyone else's?   The connector is easy to get to on mine just behind the black plastic above the chain cover.   

I have the wire pulled out a little and then it is the red connector. 

The HONDA REPAIR MANUAL is WRONG.  It says to take the shelter off and gas tank out so you can get the airbox out to get to that connector.       WHY?

102_2419.JPG

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goldwings 4 Ever

There is no connector there on my 2014.  I looked hard hoping there was a way I could get to it from the front.

Scott03clo
On 5/31/2017 at 2:45 PM, jobe05 said:

Just did some quick checking and code 19 can be a couple of things, most commonly caused by a weak Battery......  Next time, IF it happens again, check the voltage on the battery and see what it is.  If it's lower than normal, yet can crank the bike, more than likely, that would be the culprit.

Charged battery on Valkyrie after code 19. Fired up after charge.

thanks for valuable information.

this Arizona heat takes some of the charge even though sounds strong

• Yay 1

Victor

I got the code19 and a friend told me about the battery so I connected to the tender. He inform me that every time he gets off his bike he connects his up. I will check it out in the morning