Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
m2102

Ground help

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

m2102

I had a problem with my trike and long story short it was the ground wire. Have suspicion it is under the fuel tank and don't really want to mess with it now. Any suggestions on where I could ground it? There bad ground nothing would work. Now grounded elsewhere everything works as it should.

TIA

Goldwings 4 Ever

You can ground from the battery negative side to anywhere on the frame.

m2102

Thanks Goldwings 4 Ever that's what I did but wanted to make sure someplace better than another.

jobe05

Don't be afraid of pulling the gas tank......  I wanted to change my rear spring on my '01 and procrastinated for months before doing it..........  OK......  Thats not why I procrastinated, Im a procrastinator by nature.....

The tank coming out is actually easier than taking the shelter off to get the tank out.  4 bolts and a couple electrical connections and hoses and it's out.....  Wasn't bad at all.

Once the tank is out, you have clear access to the ground connection, which has several ground wires attached to it.  My fear would be if that ground connection is corroded in anyway, grounding to a different spot isn't going to help the other connections that are on that grounding post.

m2102

I know I will eventually have to take it out a and check it out. Would like to wait until I do an air filter change. Drinks I think I will wait on pulling the tank for now.

Thanks for the heads up on tank removal. Will make job a little easier.

dadztoy

Agree with Jobe05  Mike - pulling the tank is not a bad job at all - have done my buddies twice now - once for the ground work and once for rear shock replacement...  Just take your time and using some silicone lube on the tank makes it go a bit easier...

m2102

I do plan on checking the ground under the tank but want to wait till I check/replace the air filter. I'm going to get a grounding strap from the parts store and put that on for the ground.

DaveO430

Just what did you ground to make it work and where are you going to connect the ground strap?

m2102

Instead of a strap i got a cable for a riding mower and ran it to a bolt in the frame. Several places to choose from and used the closest one. Ran the ground from the battery ground.

DaveO430

Instead of a strap i got a cable for a riding mower and ran it to a bolt in the frame. Several places to choose from and used the closest one. Ran the ground from the battery ground.

So your problem is the main battery ground, not the ground connection under the tank? Look behind the right engine cover, above and left of the dipstick. That is where the battery ground attaches.

m2102

Thanks Dave0430 for the tip. I'll look at it today

bcihil

Just be careful with the bolt on the right side. It is brass and breaks very easily.

One trick to remove the tank is to use plastic shopping bags on the frame where the tank rubs, both removing and installing the tank.

dadztoy

Just an FYI guys...  The outer shield from Coaxial, either RG58 or preferably RG8 makes an excellent ground wire...    This is an old Ham Radio trick where using wire with a large cross sectional area minimizes "skin effect" of RF interference...  Just get a length of coaxial cable and strip off the outer insulation and then pull the shield off the coax and use it for ground strap...  Insulate it with tubing if necessary...

Les

bcihil

There are multiple ground wires connected to the bolt under the tank. Just connecting a ground wire from the battery to a spot on the frames will not take care of all the bad connections under the tank. Why Honda out these connections under the tank is a mystery only they can answer.