Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

OK Guys and Gals. Tis the season to start pulling the campers out of storage!

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

That season again.

Where is your first hoped camping this 2017 season.  Anywhere exciting?  Ours will probably be Land Between the Lakes. SOON and cannot be soon enough.  Just waiting for the weather to work with us.  At least it is in the better direction season wise.

:jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

jobe05

I almost pulled my camper out yesterday and set it up, but it's suppose to rain here so I held off.  I did remove 1/2 the cover to take a peak inside.........  I get nervous opening it up not knowing what critters might have done to it over the winter.........

I made a new battery box for the trailer, for lights and stuff.  I have been batting around ideas of what battery I should use, then decided that I'm going with a regular motorcycle battery.  That way if I'm out on the road and my bike battery goes, I have a back up!  I don't run that much off the battery box anyways, just a few LED light strips and maybe a quick phone charge now and then.

Dusty Boots

Mine is still in storage, inside my 10' x 14' aluminum shed by the shop.

My 1st planned trip with it will be down to the NAGF 3rd Spring Blue Ridge M&G in early June (2-4) and then heading from there down to the 8th Annual Cherohala Chill Out (MotoCampers.com event) for the following week end. I'll probably squeeze in a day ride down to Atlanta to visit with my good buddy Rudy and Mrs Rudy while there..

Dusty

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

It is highly likely that ours is coming out of the dog house today and pulled up into the carport, or maybe shop and preparations made for hauling donkey down to LBL this weekend.  Supposed to be a couple days between the occurrence of that dirty 4 letter word that begins with an R.  Except for our friends up north it begins with S.  

Do not know what the hip replacement people will think about it but what the heck.  Will be pulling the Aspen behind the Fiat.  At least that is my hope for this weekend.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Change of plans.  Estella has a bad tooth infection so she does not want to go.  She is taking anti-biotic for the infection so the Dentist can pull the offending teeth and repair another.  Something happened to me last evening.  PT had to cut the therapy really short today due to severe lack of energy on my part.  Old age is not for sissies.  Old age can cut your plans short in a heartbeat.  Old age is a real B***H.  Old age is a condition that causes severe depression.  Old age is __________!

:Face-Crying:  Sorry, we both are just depressed.

AZgl1800

I can really relate to that Gary...

I am trying hard to get my mind out of the gutter and start thinking about getting outside the house.

it is tough when you life's partner is no longer with you...

it would really be tough on my if our daughter did not live with me and keeps pushing me to get out and do things....

like today, she wanted the push mower started up so that she could mow some grass.  i worked on it, but to no avail, it won't start.

I thought it was flooded but the spark plug is dry, so tomorrow I will go give it another try and see if it will start up and run.

going to buy a new spark plug for it and give it another whirl.... it is a rope start engine and I tire out really fast.

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

When was the last time you had it running, John??  Sounds as if you didn't 'winterize' it with some Seafoam in the gas tank and the jet is gummed up. (?)

Monkeytrucker

When was the last time you had it running, John??  Sounds as if you didn't 'winterize' it with some Seafoam in the gas tank and the jet is gummed up. (?)

Ken, I would bet that John's daughter sabotaged the mower someway.  Best way to make any man bust out of a funk is to put a cantankerous motor in front of him.  Especially if it has a pull start, crank kick start, or a almost dead battery that he hopes the next feeble turnover will be the one that it starts on.  Cussing and kicking always resets one's mind.  John, if you keep pulling that rope alternating hands you might start looking like Charles Atlas or Jack LaLane.

Monkeytrucker

Happy Birthday to our Aspen and Happy Retirement to Estella

Just realized that it was 2 years ago today that we got our Aspen Classic and Estella retired from the hospital system.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

With some luck the Aspen will be at some campground this weekend.  Weather prognosticators are predicting the weather to be cool but dry.  Just need to put the essentials in and pick a campground above water. 

Dusty Boots

Might be hard to do with the amount of rain falling lately.

Good luck to you both for a dry weekend of camping!!   :thumbs-up:

jobe05

I was going to drag mine out today but once again, rain has decided to visit us all day......

Going to add a 120v power inlet to the box so I can add an outlet in the box for battery charger and stuff, then add an out let on the bed so I have power in the sleeping area as well.

pwhoever

Next week, mine will be going back to Trailmaster so they can take a look at the frame. It got tweaked a bit in an accident prior to me buying it. Luckily they are located right in El Paso, Il and I will be going right by there on my way to Bloomington to see my oldest daughter graduate from Illinois State University! I'm guessing it will probably get a new frame but I already checked on costs and it is pretty reasonable...

• Like 2

jobe05

I thought you figured out it was just in the tongue Mike, and straightened it a bit.........  But, as I recall the frame was just a couple hundred bucks, for the piece of mind knowing it's right, it's probably well worth the money to get it done and over with.

I picked up a 120 V power inlet receptacle today and got it installed on my trailer.  Now to run electric outlets inside the storage box and one in the bed, along with a USB charging receptacle in the bed.  I called Brady and he is going to email me the schematic on the bed frame so I will know where to cut the holes for the outlets without cutting into the bed frame work.

pwhoever

I did straighten out the front of the frame and put on a new longer tongue. It made a huge difference in how it pulled. However it was starting to show signs of going out of whack again. And it was pretty evident on the tire wear that there was more to it than just the tongue. A couple hundred for a new frame beats buying another Aspen to replace it. The fiberglass is all fine, no cracks so a new frame and I will be golden.

• Like 3

jobe05

I Got the power inlet receptacle installed, and one outlet in the storage box.  Then I was having a hard time deciding where to put the outlet on the bed board........  It had to be far enough left or right to keep space for the mattress, or in the front side..........

I decided I would dill a hole and put in a desk cord pass through and installed a 8outlet, 2 USB power strip that will just lay on the bed.  I can put it away when packing up or just tuck ot between the mattress's.  Simple, sweet and gives me the power that I need and then some.

Now I have to let it dry out since it rained last night, so I can take it for a test run down the road and make sure the electric brakes are OK for the season.

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

We have our camper set up and in use.  Use by our grandson before his job with University of Southern Indiana summer theater program starts it's season at the New Harmony, IN theater.  He was hired as a set carpenter.  Three shows in 2 months so there will be a lot of set building going on.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Barring any big Boo Boos or sudden weather changes it looks like we are going camping for 3 days.  Just have to have a break from all of the gotta dos.  If one does not think there is climate change going on just try to find a dry weekend that does not have threats of boll weavels that have moved north to a less hot environment.

Grandson was hired as a carpenter but most of the first production calls for welded sets so he is a welder.

OnaWingandaPrayer

......  If one does not think there is climate change going on just try to find a dry weekend that does not have threats of boll weavels that have moved north to a less hot environment.

I think there is climate change , as there has been since the planets beginning . My skepticism is in the "man caused" climate change that is putting $$$$ into certain folks wallets.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend away .

Monkeytrucker

We had a great 3 days of "decompression" time. Going south out of Henderson, KY we got caught up is some semi trucks trying to muscle each other and there was no way we were going to make our off ramp.  So we went to the next one with the idea of cutting back and getting back on track.  Well the GPS kept wanting up to keep going straight.  So what the heck came into play and we decided to follow it's directions.  Well it lead us to Mexico!  So we drove around Mexico just for the heck of it.  Mexico, Kentucky that is.  Was a nice ride across the north edge of KY and then down into the Land Between the Lakes.  The next morning we mounted up and rode down the Trace to TN. and back before lunch.  I told Estella "it was just not fun" so we had some boiled ham on lettuce and sat in the shade all afternoon and evening reading on our tablets.  Did have some that were looking at the Aspen with interest so we invited them to come have a look at it.  First thing noticed was the a/c.  Then when Estella opened up the door it was "WOW"!!!  We now have no more brochures to give out.  A couple of "We have a motorcycle (well a HD) and a little box trailer.  Sleeping in a tent on the ground was great at first but now we pull a big camper with a truck.  This motorcycle camper just might be the way to enjoy both joys.

By the time we got folded up on Wednesday afternoon we had a pleasant ride back home even with a lot of wind.  A little over 500 miles.  We were ready to stay another night but Social Security funds lacking and the home health people coming here on Thursday stopped that idea.  

Met a nice guy riding a BMW 700 twin sport bike.  Geared up to the max for safety.  The guy rode up to the shower house just next to us to do laundry.  Immaculate dresser with a well groomed hair cut.  Said hi to him and got an answer back.  We got to talking and the voice and the fact that his shirt poked out a bit in front quickly put two and two together.  "She" was a neat person living on her bike and had been since she bought the bike a year ago new.  A real religious person who said Jesus lifted the bike off her when she fell over in a gravel parking lot.  Sure wish I had her funding "Mommy Bank " and the 1800 to travel all over.

Looking forward to traveling to one of the Army Corp of Engineers camp grounds where we can stay for $9 a night with electric hookup.  Look forward to 3-4 days of just sitting and reading.  Only way I can get away from the "I want to", "I need to", "I got to", and the "Absolutely have to do's with this place".  We sat out on the deck after we got home today and looked out over the place and had to say it is beautiful and it is a lot of work to keep it that way.  So tomorrow morning I start mowing 6 acres.