Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Ghost Rider 2

Please keep Mike. aka M2102 in prayer

55 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ghost Rider 2

Talk to Mike  a while ago.  He should be home by noon today.

yooperfan

That was quick.  Let the healing begin.   Some people go to extremes to avoid having to go out dancing for new year's eve.  You could have just told Teri   NO.

Get well soon, but take your time.  Riding season is coming, but it will wait for you.

yooperfan

I'm glad you made it home in time for X-Mas.

m2102

well we made it home, finally.I laid in a most uncomfortable hospital bed for 5days before finally getting my hip fixed. they didn't replace it just screwed it back together. I think they used 5 screws altogether. The whole time I was bed ridden I couldn't use a bathroom for either reason you would need one. after the repair and back to a room they started letting use a bathroom. i use a cpap machine and was going to take mine but was told to leave it home. ended up using one of theirs anot a very good one. I did take my own walker and glad I did. The flimsy one they gave me i almost fell twice in a row. Thank God i had a strong helper to help me with the things i needed the help with. He really saved my bacon. come to find out they tried to get different walker and a chair i sat in. ehen i sat in the chair it rubbed the sides of my legs and where they did the work on me. Terri was a beaconof strength. when they tried to blow something off or double talk her she jumped on them with both feet. I would just smile and watch them squirm. well can't think of much more so this is good place to stop. everybody still riding keep the rubber side down and use caution.

• Like 3

thecruiser

Mike,

We're glad your home and on the mend. Our Prayers for your continued healing,

I know you went through a lot.

AZgl1800

been totally consumed with my gal's problems and missed this.

Mike sending prayers for a good outcome.... so sorry to hear of your problems with the ice.

Monkeytrucker

Mike, if hospitals ever did things the way we want them to do it would be the 9th wonder of the universe.  They always change my medications to the ones they stock and not the ones I take.  Thanks for the tip about taking my own walker.  I always get a laugh when they have to have an electrician come check my Bi-Pap machine cord, my phone and tablet chargers.  

I take it was your homemade hip if they fixed it with screws,  If it was the factory made one it probably have been repaired by welding and 1/2" bolts...

Take care.  Maybe we will pass by each other some time on our bikes.

m2102

Gary I wish we would have taken my cpap machine but was told we wouldn't need it. on last 2 days of the ordeal they brought me one the hospital supplies. poor fit, leaked and just didn't feel right. Yes be sure to take your must haves when you go in.

Didn't make moonshine this year but have every intent of going next year. maybe we will run into each other then.

Monkeytrucker

We missed Moonshine in 16 due to Estella's shoulder surgery and will miss 17 as I will only be about a month out of the replacement.  Yesterday I was ready to go to the shop and get a old ball joint and put it in myself.  It hurt that bad and last night I had to take enough pain killers to put an elephant into La La Land so I could sleep.  That stops all dreams about young 21 year old blondes on the back of a brand new fully outfitted 1800 pulling the camper.  In dreams one can wish outside the realm of all reality.  Dreaming about being like Dusty Boots and traveling (but not living in Canada) is a more real dream.

m2102

it seems like night is worst time for sleeping and pain. can't get comfortable. I'm finding that i need to get up and move around a little to keep working my hip and muscles to keep from stiffening up. I try and get my head around the"patch"that was done on my hip that bought some time before needing to replace it. I'm sure it seems like forever before having it done but do yourself a favor and start admitting to your limitations. it will help to feel better and keep further damage from being done.

Monkeytrucker

Mike, understanding our limitations is something that I hate to acknowledge.  I believe all limitations are simply others telling us we cannot do it.  The hard headed of us just look for another path around them.

• Like 1

Mysticfour

May i ask which hospital in Peoria took care of you?  If i had read this earlier I might have come checked on you as I live about 4 miles from the main 2 hospitals. Myself I prefer Methodist, I really dislike St Francis but you are not me.

I have my reasons to not like St Francis form way back, I guess I have some of same reasons for Methodist if I want to look at it that way

m2102

I ended up in St Francis. The path to there was a real PITA. St James in Pontiac was all set to take care of me but the Anethegeologist didn't think it would be safe. I think it is a little strange that they overide a Dr. He was ready to do the surgery. They called anothet hospital, i don't know which one, and they said no also. Thats how i ended up in St Francis. Ambulance to Peoria and laid in a bed for 4 days i think waiting for them ti decide when to fix my hip. They put 3 screws in it to make the repair. If it wasn't for the nurses and the person that made sure i was taken care of my wife was ready to sre a lawyer. It's a long upsetting story about what i had to go thru. Gave me a walker that was to flimsy for me and caused me to almost fall, twice. Thr male nurse caught me both times and he is smaller than i am. It was a nightmare i don't want to go thru again and my wife will see to it i don't ever go there again.

Monkeytrucker

Most anesthesiologists are MDs.  The pain center doctor I go to also fills in for the regular one.  Hospitals are funny places and that is not meant in a good way.  We have a hospital within 6 miles of here that was a County owned hospital but now has been sold to some corporation.  Well mediocre care went to $$$$ sign medicine.  The local ambulance services will not even take patients to then unless directly told to.  The big hospital about 16 miles from here (for who Estella worked for) has driven doctors away.  They formed a Physicians Network which basically means that unless a doctor is part of it they cannot be more than a courtesy visit MD.  Of course the MDs only have to work 4 days a week, do not have to make hospital visits unless they want to as the hospital has hospitalist MDs who are contracted to do the inside work.  Doctors do not have to have more than a nurse and receptionist as all book keeping, billing, insurance work and bill collective is done by the hospital. The hospital is non profit one but cannot spend money fast enough building fancy buildings that are a joke.  Now they are part of a hospital computer network with a large hospital 60 miles away.  The hand writing on the wall is they will soon merge.  It is rumored in the hospital system that the Physician Network MDs in return for joining are making north of $200,000 a year.  Did I say the hospital is raking in the money and the more tests the MDs order the more their bonus.

Do not get me wrong, it is a decent hospital and it seems that I know most of the nurses.  I even have one special housekeeper who gets the message to stop by my room.  So Mike, in the last of Feb I will be visiting them for a few nights.

Tonight is New Years Eve and I think I am going to go out to the Gold Wing and sit on it with the motor running and pretend I am riding into the new year.  Power of positive thought.

And for all who are active and sober this New Years Eve we hope your new year is a great one.

m2102

Gary I couldn't agree with you more.It isn't about the patient anymore it's the $$$. The hspital we have here in town, the one i first went to. We hada nice discouraging talk with the case manager that told the "seperate" company that does the anesthesia there is under contract and it ends first part of next year,2017,and won't be asked back. It's real sad that a hospital is at the whim of a few other Drs. The Dr we talked to when i got there was waiting for us and was ready to wheel me into surgery and do a complete hip replacement. We could tell he wasn't happy about the way things turned out. After laying in a bed for 4 1/2 days waiting to be worked in all i left with was 3 screws in my right ball joint and 2 in my femor. They said it bought me some time before needing to replace the hip joint. I would honestly would have rather had it done at our hospital and been done with it. I can remember as a kid the local town Dr would come to you if you couldn't get to him. Sadly those days are over unfortunately. A patient's well being is left to the nurses to take care of. I am so glad i had some very caring nurses looking over me.

Parman

My daughter ins a nurse and these doctors don't do much for patients. The nurse pretty much does it all.

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

My daughter ins a nurse and these doctors don't do much for patients. The nurse pretty much does it all.

I agree with you on that.  The nurses decide what medications the patient needs and calls the Dr. who says OK.  The nurses are the one who looks at the patient and makes the decision as to what materials will be needed.  The MD simply asks for them like the nurses have to go to town to get them.  In our area Nurse Practitioners are the norm.  One of my MDs left town but his NP is still taking care of his patients under the guise of the MDs former partner who also has a NP and shows up for a few minutes.

Our communist neighbors just off Florida (No not the ones who elected our president) have a medical system that trains MDs in 2 years.  Think about it.  Your MD see patients who are all suffering from the same virus or what ever is going around.  So they will see maybe 30 different illnesses in a year and the medications for most of them are the same.  Those who do surgery usually have their specialty.  ER MDs are probably the most versatile of all as they see everything from skinned knees to gun shot wounds with a few heart attacks thrown in.  So 2 years of practical training, without all of the music appreciation and other high school level classes, can train the average GP.  That is what we need as there are whole areas without a doctor closer than 60 miles.

• Like 1

m2102

so true.

Monkeytrucker

Mike, are you able to get up and move around? Anything to avoid the numbness of inactivity.

My Bride is supposed to push me towards the shop on Tuesday.  Have to get that tractor running.  The bad hip is a real buzz kill.  I think it is causing many joints to suffer.  I am sitting here at 12:30 trying to get some wild meds to put me in la-la land.  Getting there.

m2102

Gary I'm using a walker still trying to get my leg muscles built so I get on a cane and more mobility. Right now being on the mend my day consists of sitting my exercises and roaming around the house to also help make leg stronger.only time i leave house is for Drs appointment and out on deck for fresh air when not raining. The lack of more mobility is hard to take but i have learned to be patient and not push it. Yes the pain in one will effect other joints. I think it could be because we compensate using another area. When i came home my good leg, the left, felt like the right one and muscles and joints in left leg hurt the same. It has gotten better and can walk better. I go see the Dr Thursday hopefully to get staples out and that should help the mobility part. Your bad joints will dictate your limits. From how you have described your hip, the one i got replaced wasn't as bad as what you are going thru. Believe me i can understand what you are going thru and it isn't easy. All I could do when my left was done was take it real slow and when pain got bad pain pills and rest as good as i could. Just hang in there and take things slow and don't wait till pain gets real bad. Not being able to do everything you used to do and want to do is hard to back off of. I really feel bad for what your going thru Gary and wish i could offer more help. Our prayers are with you and your bride that relief is coming.

Galaxyhunter

Mike, are you able to get up and move around? Anything to avoid the numbness of inactivity.

My Bride is supposed to push me towards the shop on Tuesday.  Have to get that tractor running.  The bad hip is a real buzz kill.  I think it is causing many joints to suffer.  I am sitting here at 12:30 trying to get some wild meds to put me in la-la land.  Getting there.

Gary,  Isn't that what  Mr. Jack Daniel is for?  :Face-Raspberry:

AZgl1800

Mike and all,

not moving around is bad for us all.

I have been baby sitting my wife 24/7 since Aug 19th and it is really wearing me down.

I just don't feel like doing anything, I force myself to get up and walk, but I am not doing any real exercises.

this is not good for me and I know it.

but right now, I am so demoralized it just hurts to think.

m2102

John my wife and i send prayers your way. Terri has had to look over me more than once and it does take a toll. I don't want to stick my nose ehete it doesn't belong, but for your sanity and her piece of mind, is their any volunteer organizations that could help to give you some you time? Now before shooting daggers it would be hard to fo but you have to think of your own piece of mind. Don't hate me but it mite help.

Monkeytrucker

John, Estella and I are sending our positive thoughts to Madonna and you.  Yes we go thru hard times taking care of our mates.  But then we usually sealed the deal with the words "In sickness and in health".  Being the care giver is a job that is hard to understand until you have to do it.  So to John and others on this forum who have been the care giver or the care given I take my hat off to you.

My care giver just baked me some oatmeal cookies using my Mother's famous recipe so I would have some comfort food.  Had an injection in the hip yesterday in an attempt to lessen the problem.  Did not have any effect.  I have gone out to the shop the last 2 days.  Just had to get off my buttaco region for a while.  Am working on my Father in Laws IH 300 that has not ran for 5 years.  Hydraulic line leak in a hard to get to spot on a line you have to take the whole control tower apart to get to it.  Roughed it up with sand paper and coated it with J-B Weld.  Exhaust manifold had the pipe threads wallered out.  Son in Law came by yesterday with a 2" pipe tap but it was too far gone.  So he is going to get another pipe and braze it into the manifold.

Today I completed a Yard Art project.  When the paint dries I will get it out of the shop and get a picture of it.  It is a memorial to the triplet grand children we lost 12 years ago.

m2102

well I've had some time to start parking my walker and move to a cane. used the cane a little at least daily and today was a milestone, used it all day and I'm sore but happy i made it all day. get couple more full days in and I'm going to try driving and see how that goes. been out to my shelter my trike is and got my new zumo gps all wired in and ready for riding. i was really tempted to try and get on the trike but i must be getting wiser or something and didn't try.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,