Sign in to follow this  
roscoepc

Wiping a laptop and reinstalling Windows..

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

roscoepc

Here's one for the Geek's here!! I've got a Compaq Presario F500 laptop, has Vista on it, That has become EXTREMELY slow booting and general web surfing. So I've decided to wipe the hard drive and attempt to use the recovery disc's I made when I got it to see if I can get the unit to perform like it used to. The problem?? I've never done this and don't quite know how to start although I'll be Googling the procedure while waiting on a response.

And no wisecracks about Vista please!! I personally had good experiences on 3 different computers that used it!! :P  ;)

DaveO430

And no wisecracks about Vista please!!! :P  ;)

You expect a response with limits like that. :Face-Smile-Big::confused-face-smiley-emoticon:   Sorry, I ain't a computer geek.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Estella's desktop turned belly up.  She got a new (refurbished) one for her birthday.  She went from Windows Vista to Windows 10.  The jump from Vista is probably easier than 7 to 10 simply because she does not have expectations of using it like she would have going from 7.

roscoepc

My wife's desktop died also and also went from Vista to 10 on the new one. She love's it!! During the in between time though I dug out this laptop and tried to use it and it's slower than refried molasses!! I tried hitting the earliest restore point I could and that seemed to help a bit... Still wanna do a complete wipe though......

AZgl1800

I hope that you verified the Boot Restoration disks were working when you made them.

So many folks just use the 'Create a Restore" disk to create their backups and then never test to see if the boot disk will actually work.

dwsonar

Youtube probably has videos. 

roscoepc

I hope that you verified the Boot Restoration disks were working when you made them.

So many folks just use the 'Create a Restore" disk to create their backups and then never test to see if the boot disk will actually work.

John I created the  Restore disc's but I never knew I needed to check them!!! Now I'm wondering about my desktop!! After all I created recovery/restore disc's for this when it was 8.0... Now it's 10?? Wonder how that's gonna work out??!!!!  :roflmao:

AZgl1800

Restore disks and images are only good for the OS that created them....

That is why I make a new backup image of my Desktop every 2 or 3 months.

I got bit hard about six months ago.... something happened that made me decide to just reimage it back to where it was only 7 months prior....

holy hell, I had forgotten how much new stuff i had put on it, and I had forgotten how much work I had put into setting up my new Forum Index bookmarks..... I have cried a lot of tears since I made that blunder.... and still find stuff that is NOT RIgHT even yet today....

there just is not anything that can replace a proper Backup image, and a good set of TESTED RECOVERY BOOT DISKS.

Your Win 8.0 backups are totally useless to you today, unless you wish to go back in time and loose all the data you have collected since then.

I have two USB backup hard drives.

1) this one is online 24/7 and "Allway Sync" keeps it updated following certain folders only.  the important DATA folders.

2) this one is offline until I make the quarterly total Disk Image backup.  on that one, I keep about 5 or 6 copies of prior backups.

yes, I have "recovered" an old image backup and found that it was corrupted. so, I punted and used the one prior to that. that is when you discover the value of frequent Image Backups... and the value of a dedicated Image Backup hard drive.

• Like 1