Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

A question for those who have had it done to them

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Hip replacement.  What are the downsides and upsides.  My hip is giving away and is giving much pain when it does so.  Yesterday when we stopped for gasoline I about could not walk.  

How long are you laid up, not able to work, not able to do needed work around the compound and the biggest question How long is one banned from gold wing riding?  

PM me if you feel like you have pertinent information about this or put it out on here.

m2102

When you have it done you will know your limits and no heavy lifting for a while. PM sent.

Monkeytrucker

My wonderful Bride (if she is still living) signed me up to see the orthopedic surgeon.  She did it behind my back......  Guess she is tired of hearing me scream "OUCH" when I turn.  

Together we got all of the windows in her greenhouse and it is now sealed up, tested by the cats who go in and out of there and were protesting about being trapped inside.  So the door now has a cat door and they learned quickly how to go in and out.  They have plastic tubs with a little dirt in the bottom that they like to sleep in on the plastic pallets Estella uses to grow plants on.  It was in the low 40s today outside but the thermometer said it was 104 in the greenhouse.  Still have a thought about building a solar collector to provide heat in the home  Greenhouse is just too far to collect the solar heated air..  LP gas is cheaper than it was but if we save several gallons a day it would be money in the bank.

Have to finish moving the Big Dog House that we park the Aspen in.  Got it close but when we got up on the back deck and looked at it we realized it is just slightly not square with her Dad's building so tomorrow I will have to winch it around a bit more.  If you make something just out of kilter you will see it with no trouble.  So make any line several degrees from what you are registering it to and it will look like you wanted it that way.  The human eye can see a 1 degree angle and say "Boo Boo!"

Monkeytrucker

48 degrees outside and a good day to ride.  Had trouble getting on the bike but when I went to stand it up my hip said "NO RIDE TODAY!" 

Really depressing thing is that I do not even feel like going to the shop to work on another project.

m2102

You need to get that hip taken care of. Once you do you'll ask yourself why did I wait so long. It won't get any better only worse then recovery takes longer.

JGL351

I has mine done 7 years ago before it got to the point where I couldnt walk to work 3 mi.  I had surgery in November and was riding again in April, but we have winter here so I wouldnt have been riding anyway.

Monkeytrucker

Went to the surgeon today who we figured would be doing it if he did.  He took a x-ray and it showed bad arthritis with extreme thinning of the pad.  So he is sending me to the surgeon who now does them.  The first MD said the reason he does not do them anymore was that the new and better front entry surgery requires a VERY expensive special table and he did not feel like he wanted to spend that kind of money since he is a old horse riding Doctor.  He thought we might be back to riding in a short amount of time.

So we now wait to see the new MD.  I said "lets do something and do it quick as I am tired of the hurting."

m2102

Gary when I had mine done the Dr had a diagram of the table and how I would be positioned on it. He went over the procedure and made sure my wife and I understood it. He also told us that some patients have very dense muscle mass where they go thru to get to the hip. That was the case for me, heavy muscle mass. The spreader they use to make space to work without cutting muscle didn't work for me. He had to use a bigger spreader to pull the muscle that coincidently he designed for just such a reason. That caused my recovery to be a bit longer but didn't stop my getting back on my bike. He loaded up numbing agent that helped for afterwards. My left hip area was numb for over a year. When you go to talk to other Dr ask him every question you and your bride have. When he talked about scheduling procedure I asked him " what are you doing tomorrow". Got a chuckle from him. I was using a walker for about 4 weeks then a cane and then was able to drive a car. It takes some time for the muscle around the hip joint to close up and keep the new hip in place. When I started to walk better without a.c cane I would go out to my bike and stand on the peg to get a feel of I could get leg over the saddle. It was hard to do but I put riding on the back burning till I was ready to try. Don't rush getting back on bike. You will be ready to ride by the riding season starts.

Monkeytrucker

Going for a two-fer.  My oncologist wants to do a marrow biopsy.  Maybe while the hip guy is shoving a metal joint (if he decides to do it,  Will see him on the 14th) into the femur he can get a sample of the marrow.  

Just saw on the boob tube that the average life expectancy of people in the USA has dropped to 78.8 years.  With our great health care for our senior citizens one would expect it to go up.

Monkeytrucker

Any one with a dull knife, drill, hammer, a rusty hinge and maybe some super glue?  Worked in the shop yesterday and today I am paying for it.  Need to get some relief soon.

Galaxyhunter

Gary, I'd be happy to try some exploratory surgery. After all, I won't feel anything.  :SmileyTooth: Just make sure your Bride has your life insurance up to date.

m2102

How long will it be before you can get replacement? It got to the point for me that I asked Dr for something for the pain. I don't make it a practice to use something for pain and I have a high tolerence for pain. But their were times I was glad I had them.

I'm holding out till next year to go my Dr about my right hip and knee. I already knew my knee would need replaced and starting to have dejavo on my right hip. I know I'll have to do something but will have to see what the Dr says about it and which one to do first. As of now I would have hip done first. For now I cope and take a pain pill ONLY when it gets bad.

Hang in there Gary, I know what you are going threw.

Monkeytrucker

I see the hip doc tomorrow, Wednesday, and will find out what is recommended.  I hope something is done one way or the other.  I have one doc who is trying to find whatever, another one who decided they needed to mess with some of my medications so now I have not slept much in the last few days.  Then I came down with a cold or flu.  Doc prescribed an antibiotic for that but the pharmacist refused to fill it because it is known to have serious reactions with one of the new medications.

Carl, do you do house calls?  Too be truthful I feel like head butting a semi running 90 mph.  Maybe a little excessive but I can guarantee you all, 

OLD AGE AIN'T FOR SISSIES.  

Nothing that a nice long ride on the gold wing would not cure.

: THIRST :

m2102

Couldn't agree more on the old age part. I'm pushin 65 and have slowed diwn a bit. The hardest time i had for pain was extended sitting and getting out and in a cage. I felt lots better when i rode my bike. People thought i was crazy about riding but i felt better and little to no pain when on the bike. Hang in there and don't push it. Not easy but know your limits till you can get something done, be it cortisone shots or replacement. Been there.

Monkeytrucker

It is now official and scheduled for February 27th.  Estella and I have to go to new hip school 2 weeks before.  Who would have guessed that we old hippies have to go to hip school.  I asked the Doc if he could do it yesterday but evidently his mid-evil table is scheduled well in advance.  The x-rays showed extreme ostio arthritis and a very narrow bit of the pad left.  And yes he said I would be using a walker for a month and any sexual activity would be out upon which I said "No problem, we have been married well over 50 years so that activity stopped years ago."

:jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon  :Face-Crying:

m2102

wow Gary sounds like you been dealing with a bad hip for a while. Never heard of new hip school. A month with walker is about how long i used one. The good news is you have a replacement date.

If i can ask where you having it done?

Monkeytrucker

Going to be done in Vincennes, IN.  The hip school is to explain what is going to happen, how it is going to happen and to educate my "Hip Coach" about what she needs to do and how to do it.  He did give the option of chemical pain relief and physical therapy.  Told him no more drugs and if my normal activity was not enough then we jack up the frame and put a new ball joint in.  Now it is just the wait.  Have enough to do in the shop to keep me busy till then.  Just have to be careful about any quick movements that stress the joint.  Do figure I will get our December, January and February rides in.

AZgl1800

Mardonna's brother called her last night.

he has always been the picture of health, doing whatever he wanted to do.

then last week, he got up and started for the shop, and hit the floor.

saw a doctor who told him your hip is evaporating ????

you either get a new hip, or you don't walk anymore...

he has an appointment for January 17th.

Monkeytrucker

In my research a hip replacement is the most successful joint replacement.  Much less problems with it than there is with a knee replacement.  My guess is that we will soon see whole broken bones replaced with hard 3D printed bones.  What is driving this surge of joint replacement research?  Returning war causalities.  

• Like 1

thecruiser

What is driving this surge of joint replacement research?  Returning war causalities.  

Also an aging population that doesn't want a wheelchair.  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

Galaxyhunter

Well Gary, with all seriousness, I sure hope your results are years ahead of one my Nieces.  Whitney had a hip replacement (roughly 10 years ago) in her early 30's.  It was a total bomb. After a couple of years later, she had to have it replaced.  She still walks around with a limp.  Hopefully, you get all the left over luck she didn't get. I don't know any details of what kind of replacement it was.  IIRC, it was done at U.W. Madison.

Monkeytrucker

They have a new table now that allows them to go into the front way.  Ski boots to lock your feet in, screw clamps to secure your lower legs, hand wheels that move your legs how ever they need them and a hand wheel at the bottom of your foot to pull your leg down to dislocate the hip joint.  They are able to just move the muscles aside so less recovery time required compared to the old way where they cut the muscles.

I am just tired of the constant pain in my kiester (well not the pain I call my Bride).   Hate to have the down time.  This mornings project was installing her new ceiling fan that she got for Christmas.  It was what she wanted so I made her pick one out.  She was going for the cheap ones but I could see her eyeing a more decorative one that was not that much higher in price.  So we got it.  So what better way for a guy with a knee that gives away, a hip that screams, a eye that does not work to well and over half way to starting year 74 than getting up on a step stool and an end table taking down a ceiling fan with bad bearings and putting up a new one.  Maybe I will put new bearings in the old one and hang it in my shop to stir welding smoke around.  Speaking of which I should be going down there and keep cleaning it up.

AZgl1800

28 degrees here in Oklahoma, from what my brother-in-law says in Ft. Wayne, IN the temps are not favorable for you working in the shop.

His thermometer is indicating 2* F

Monkeytrucker

Went out to the shop and loaded some more stuff onto the trailer.  Got it all balanced and hooked the trailer to the hitch ball on the front of the zero turn.  Knew I was in trouble when the hard frozen ground turned out to be soft.  Got almost to where I was headed and that Hemi engine on the engine stand fell over putting its weight on the back of the trailer.  Of course that put the back of the trailer on the ground.  Wiggled it around trying to get free and it would not happen.  So I went back and got the Honda 3 wheeler and got a short hook onto the part of the trailer in the ground.  About that time Estella came out after hearing the mower and the 3 wheeler running.  So she got on the mower and together we got it out of the dirt and mud.  I then used the mower to get the trailer into the tractor solarium.  By then my hip was screaming.  Time to come into the house, take some strong pain meds and sit down in front of this dumb box of transistors.

Rampal1955

I saw this cartoon and thought it might make someone smile. I hope I haven't offended anyone. paul

post-4420-0-57276600-1482585846_thumb.jpg

• Like 3