Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 T-Shirt Orders Have CLOSED!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
Sign in to follow this  
jobe05

Cover Bungee Cord

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

If you haven't checked the bungee cord that goes around the bottom of the cover to your camper, I suggest you do.

I was driving back from NY last week and looked in my review mirror to see my cover flopping around.  When I stopped for gas at the next exit, I noticed that the cord was broke.  I was able to tie the top down with extra bungee cords that I had on hand.

When I got home I noticed that the cord where it attached to the hooks on the camper had worn through, and was weak in all the connection points from wear.

I ordered some new 1/4" marine grade cord and replaced it today.  The old cord was thinner than 1/4" and was very hard to fish through the hem and eyelets of the cover.  The new 1/4 cord just feeds right through.  The whole job took about 10 minutes to do.

The old cord was attached together (The two ends) with wire that was wrapped tight around the cord in 3 places.  I put a piece of 3/4" shrink wrap on the cord, tied a good knot, and using 14 guage ground wire, wrapped the cord tight on each end to secure it.  I then shrink wrapped the knot and wire ties, so I am confident that it's not coming apart.

Im not sure I have the bungee cord  tight enough, but I'm sure with age, it may stretch out and I will tighten it up at that time if needed by just tying a knot in one of the corners. 

Heres a pic of the worn spots of the old cord, and the black cord is the new cord that I put on.

IMG_1603.jpg

• Like 1

AZgl1800

on the wife's car, the front air dams attachment holes are broken...

the plastic plugs won't hold anymore.

I have used those little 3/8" bungee cords on it for years.....

they last just about two summers, and they are frayed to a frazzle.

they are cheap, change them every year if worried.

DougW

Just for those who may be interested; Our local Tractor Supply has bulk bungee cord, you just buy it by the foot.

• Like 1

AZgl1800

Just for those who may be interested; Our local Tractor Supply has bulk bungee cord, you just buy it by the foot.

hmmmm, do they have the crimp on hooks to go with it?

if so, I gotta check that out.

DougW

I don't remember what all they had to with it, I was making a handheld snatch cord for the snowmobile at the time so all I needed was the cord.

Dusty Boots

Just reuse the old ones, John

jobe05

Just reuse the old ones, John

It was broke in 2 different places, worn almost through in a third and started to wear in a fourth spot, not worth even trying to reuse.  The replacement cord was cheap and I got 100' of it for a couple other projects that I want to do. 

Worthy of replacing in my opinion.  The larger, stiffer cord seems to hold on better without putting stress on the hem of the cover like the old smaller cord did.

Dusty Boots

I meant the other John! :)

jobe05

I meant the other John! :)

Theres more John's than me?..........  Noooooo........

Monkeytrucker

Theres more John's than me?..........  Noooooo........

Heck yes!  The woman's John and the men's John.  There there is John Deere, the Johns the gals on the street corners are looking for and then.............

All kidding aside, I will give ours a good look over.  The grommet rings on ours fell out of the cover on the big trip last year.  

AZgl1800

umm, that is spelled  'jon' in lowercase MonkeyTrucker.....

not the same at allllll, and don't you ever forget it!!!!!!!!!!  :Face-Raspberry:

Monkeytrucker

But there is the question that long has been argued among the fisher folk.  Is it Jon-Boat or John-Boat???????????????

:puzzled-smiley-emoticon: