Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
rcameron

3rd Brake Light On Trailer

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

rcameron

Okay, my wife bought an LED brake light strip and wants me to mount it in the middle on the back of our HF trailer. I have the flat 4 trailer connector that connects to the bike.

How do I wire this to come on with my brake lights, but not flash with the turn signal either direction but burns steady when I put on the brake?  If I wire to both left and right then both lights flash when I turn the turn signal on.  I could wire to just the left or right, but it will flash if I am using that direction turn signal.

That is my conundrum................

:puzzled-smiley-emoticon:  :puzzled-smiley-emoticon:

DaveO430

You have to have a separate wire from the brake light circuit, not going to work otherwise. I though of diodes for a minute but then it would flash from either side when not using the brake.

• Like 1

DougW

The only way for it to work properly is to put in a 5 wire connector with a separate wire for the brake lights.

• Like 3

AZgl1800

I have already done that, used a SuperBright Pulsar Laser 18 LED strip in the dead center of the trailer.

Added a 5th wire, used BLUE because that is the standard code for trailer brakes.

super simple, just wire it straight to the brake light wire on the bike, no relays needed at all...

that extra brake light, that is NOT part of the regular running/turn/brake light setup...

results in traffic Backing Off when you touch the brakes.

that extra light catches their eyes.... whereas the old style "running light" that just gets a little bit brighter when braking, does NOT

thecruiser

You have to have a separate wire from the brake light circuit, not going to work otherwise. I though of diodes for a minute but then it would flash from either side when not using the brake.

I'm sure Rex already has this handles but My first thought was to use diodes too and don't understand Dave, why it would 'flash' when not using the brake?  :Face-Raspberry: Using diodes and a four-wire system, in my mind it would 'flash' when using either turn signal but if you were using the brake and turn signal at the same time, it would stay 'on'.

I get it... that what you meant when you said, "from either side", huh?  : EMBARRASS : 

AZgl1800

IMO, trying to do anything EXCEPT running a new wire for a separate brake light circuit is fraught with a lot of problems.

Once you make up your mind, this is going to be a 5 wire trailer, your troubles will simply disappear.

The trailer's existing light setup will become "Turning Lights" and running lights only.

The newly added brake light wire will then power up the new added on Brake Lights....

this has a LOT of advantages... the existing light setup runs sort of dim all the time, and when you hit the brakes, all that happens to the observer is:

the trailer's lights are brighter....

Now, if the traffic behind you is not paying attention, they do NOT notice that your trailer's light are BRIGHTER and you are stopping.  They just keep coming on and sometimes, run over our trailers/bikes.

When you install the added 5th wire and separate brake lights, the whole PICTURE CHANGES!  Uh oh!!! there are MORE lights up on that trailer, he must be stopping, and then the traffic will back off for you.

Now, if you will install one of the super bright Pulsating Brake light flashers with 18 LEDs in it, that flashes 10 times and then goes solid......

Traffic will BACK OFF almost every time you touch the brakes. 

This is how I have my trailer wired, and in almost 10,000 miles over the past 18 months, EVERY SINGLE TIME that I have hit the brakes, the traffic BACKS OFF........

you can take that to the bank, I already have, and I will never again run a pull behind trailer on my bike unless it is wired as I described... that 10 flash LED strip dead center between the outer brake lights GETS ATTENTION...

• Like 1

thecruiser

I would agree wholeheartedly, John. I have an Aluma and that's the way I (re) wired it.  :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Back in pre-historic days when 3rd brake lights just started becoming the norm, we used to get a little module that was tapped into the brake light wires and the output was the 3rd brake light.  I have one of those and are thinking about putting a set of red LEDs on the back of our trailer.  

I think that one of the electronic godfathers of gold wing nets, Rudy, has a design to make 4 wire towing vehicles work on 5 wire trailers.  Some diodes, capacitors to trigger the 5th wire brake light transistor.  The flashing effect is canceled by capacitors that bleed down slowly before releasing the transistor and by that time the next turn signal impulse resets the whole process until the turn signals are cancelled.  I think it would fit the bill for 3rd brake lights.