Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
beenshot

front tire

31 posts in this topic Last Reply

beenshot

I have liked the Avon Trike tire since mile one but have waited until it has outlasted all other tires that I have tried before giving it a real thumbs-up.

I now have 10,000 miles on it and it is still ready for more. 8,000 to 10,000 miles is all that I have ever safely got from any other brand including the sport bike rears that most people are using.

It now has my :thumbs-up: and after this one is worn out, another Avon Trike tire will replace it.

• Like 3

jobe05

I have read some good things about the Avon Trike Tire, it should treat you well.

I have the 180 kit on mine with a Michelin Commander II on it and it is wearing like iron.  Should get between 30K and 50K on it depending on how I ride......  Im guessing I'll be closer to the 30K end..........  Can't help it..... :Face-Raspberry:

beenshot

Not all of us can afford that big semi tire front end kit. :roflmao:

• Like 2

jobe05

Neither can I.......  But luckily the Previous Owner could.....

• Like 2

Parman

That darn trike of yours has more rubber on the ground than my Silverado does John. :roflmao:

That front tire is huge.

• Like 1

pwhoever

I will keep the Avon in mind after the conversion. I will start off with the Bridgestone G709 that is on there now because it only has around 2000 miles on it for now. Might as well use it up first. I have another rim with a BT45 mounted on it and that still has a lot of tread left on it. Once both of those are done, the Avon trike tire will be next...

• Like 1

Geordiemuppet

The Bridgestone is too soft for a trike as it gets scrubbed off on the bends. Chris did have an Elite 3 as they seem to wear pretty well.

She is now on her first Avon Trike tyre and so far very happy with performance - we shall see how long it lasts!

Costs about 20% more than the E3 here in the UK but worth it if the results are right.

m2102

My bike is going in Saturday or Monday to have my kit installed. I'll run what I have on the front now, stone G709 till time for new. Next question is where do you guys get your front tires at? Would like to get jump on looking around for a front tire.

beenshot

I bought my mine from Avon that was set up at the Sturgis Rally. I am not anywhere close to needing to replace it yet and have not done any research on where to purchase my next one yet but it will certainly be an Avon Trike tire. Hopefully there is an online source that will be a little cheaper when the time comes.

CrystalPistol

Love our Avon Cobra Trike Radial on the '97 GL1500SE / Lehman GTL we have.   Even if it doesn't last as long as the only half wore out MPA now hanging on the wall,  it more than makes up for it in ride and handling and feel. 
Below is a quote of a post I made someplace back in March 2016.   It holds today still.

What can I say ...... I love this new Avon Cobra TRIKE radial that I put on our '97 GL1500 / Lehman Trike. Before today I had only had the trike out for the one short 7 or 8 mile local ride on local roads at 55 mph or less and while it "promised" a good ride, that was not a great test.

Today, "Wife Unit" and I got up early, coffeed up, etc .... and by 8:30 am were on the road to meet up with other chapter folks about 45 miles from home on Rt 11, about 10 miles of I-81, and Rt 250 west to Churchville and from there, we lead the group over to Highland County for the "Highland Maple Festival" ..... then we rode up to Franklin, WV for a late lunch and then took Rt 33 back across the mountains to Va. and then the ride down 11 home. Total mileage for "Wife Unit" and I was near 240. Speeds ranged from 65-70 on a super smooth portion of I-81, lots of 55-60 on good state primary highway, lots of 50-55 on not so smooth state secondary roadway in the mountains over ridges and along side creeks and "South Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River". Lots of tight curves, sweepers, straights, smooth, rough, and some loose material thrown in.

I've ridden these same roads a bunch over the years and this radial soaks up the bridge expansion joints and roadway irregularities that accompany patches as found on these roads as a mild "nudge" instead of the harsh "thump" of the bias tires ..... and putting this tire on was like adding a steering stabilizer as well. That low speed twitch one feels as the rear wheels go over irregularities at angles, where the handlebars are pulled left and right .... that is diminished to the extent you don't even notice it. Likewise, when you go into a turn, high speed or low, the handlebars tend to stay where you intended with less shake when there's a ripple or dip or other rough spot running across the roadway. Owing to all of that, this tire is far less tiring on the rider on these not so smooth crooked mountain roads. I am sure that "Wife Unit" is tired of hearing me say how much I like this tire, but it's such a huge improvement up front.

There may someday be developed a better front tire for the "trike" but for now ..... no MPA or M-50 compares. I've had both, and as far as the Bridgestone option ..... judging just from riding other trikes with the Bridgestone, I'd say it beats that too. I know, $155 and up is not cheap, but when looked at in terms of added smiles per mile ... it's a good deal and even if I only get 3-4 years or 10-15,000 miles out of it, I'm sold.

We got to take a few other rides before some issues stopped our riding this past  Summer .... but we'll get back in 2017.

• Like 1

glester

Just put the Avon Trike tire on my 07, so far, it's been a whole lot better than the BT-45 that was on it.  Rides and steers so much better, and seems quieter too.  Also seems to hold air better.  So far in a couple of months, it hasn't lost any air, the BT-45 always seemed to need to be topped off.  I'm happy for now. :Face-Smile-Big:

Gene

• Like 2

Halfling

Am I correct in assuming that I can expect faster wear on the front tire of my trike?

pwhoever

I don't know about faster wearing but they will start taking on a flatter profile before long. That is one of the reasons a rear tire is highly recommended for the front because they have a deeper tread.

Halfling

I don't know about faster wearing but they will start taking on a flatter profile before long. That is one of the reasons a rear tire is highly recommended for the front because they have a deeper tread.

Are you running a rear tire on the front Mike?

pwhoever

Yes, Niehaus mounted a Michelin Pilot Activ rear tire and I have to say I think I like it better than the Bridgestone BT45 that I had on there. And Niehaus highly recommended that it be mounted backwards which I was already aware of. I know some guys are highly recommending the Avon Trike tire. Niehaus had it but said it was more expensive and I would get less mileage for a higher cost. I know Beenshot swears by it but I figured I would give the Pilot Activ a try first. I have seen where guys are easily getting 20,000+ miles out of them. I was told the key is the air pressure. It was recommended to run it at 41psi. One of the big differences is that the edges will no longer wear on the front tire because you dont/can't lean a trike. The front tire will now wear like a car tire and only down the center.

• Like 1

DougW

I had a BT45, it cupped terribly. Put one of the Avon tier tires, radial, on it earlier this year and so far I like it a lot. Smoother ride and handles well. The footprint is pretty much the full width of the tread, Running it at 36 PSI. Tread life remains to be seen.

• Like 2

Halfling

Well I suppose I'll wear this one out first and then try a rear tire...thanks for the info!

pwhoever

What tire is on there now?

Halfling

Bridgestone G709

m2102

Had that one on my front when I took it in to trike it. Had a little over 4k miles on it. I thought I could get enough out of it to finish this riding season but once it started to go, seems it went quick. Now have a MPA mounted backwards with only about 400 miles on it. Well see how it wears and mileage.

• Like 1

Halfling

Anyone have any updates on this subject? I'm thinking I'll put a new tire on the front before our long trip this summer so I'm in the market!

Dusty Boots

Not on a trike John, but I have tried quite a few double dark tires up front and of them all, the MPA was the best of the lot of any of the rear tires I tried up front. Very good grip and handling.

Dusty

Halfling

Looks like there are different sizes available, what size is appropriate for the front wheel?

2018-03-10_6-35-59.jpg

Dusty Boots

130/70-18  ...  same as what's on yours now, except it's a rear tire

• Like 1

Halfling

Haven't shopped around much yet but this is looking pretty good...

2018-03-10_6-47-29.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,