Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

Facebook (The Evil Among Us)

31 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

OK folks, I've absolutely had it! For several weeks now I have been telling my wife Nancy that I've had it with Facebook and that I was either going to unfriend almost everyone or better yet, totally deactivate my account. She laughs at me saying that I can't do that, I'm addicted. Well dang, she's probably right, but the first step to recovery is recognizing the problem and the second step is recognizing that the problem is yours! So, here I am, I have a problem and it's Facebook.

Here's a piece I've found from 2013 and I can honestly tell you that I agree with most of it! Rather than bore you with the entire article I have trimmed it down to some essential points. Here's the link for the entire article if you are interested: http://pitweston.com/facebookevil/

Bottom line my friends, as soon as I finish here I am moving over to Facebook and start removing things (I can't totally remove my account because of our Facebook Forum presence but for other stuff, I'm done). This forum is a much better vehicle anyway and crap, there's always this expensive phone I have, let's see if I remember how to call someone!

Anyone want to join me?

Facebook Is Evil & It Will Consume Your Soul

Facebook is evil. It’s a horrible place and it will ruin you. This is not an opinion piece. This is not just me talking out my butt and saying things just for a laugh. I am speaking the truth. I am telling you how it is and how Facebook is not a place for entertainment or catching up with people. It will pull you in and it will use all its’ power to keep you there, grasping on to you tightly until you are no longer a person but just another number to Matt Zuckerberg. You are now a statistic. Congratulations.

I was a Facebook whore. The site was all I thought about. I was always on it. I was always lurking about and always hoping for the red tag to pop up when someone liked, shared, or commented on something I posted. It was what I craved. It is what you crave. No one goes on Facebook just to look. They don’t just go there to post something and forget about it. They want someone to reply.  We want someone to comment on the photo of our dog or the delicious brownie we instagrammed and instantly linked to Facebook, because not linking those two site together would isolate you from ever seeing what your friends eat.

I quit Facebook in January of 2013. I never went back and while the first few days were tough, I stuck through it and reminded myself that I don’t need Facebook to have fun or to communicate with family and friends. It may sound weird but I was having withdrawals. I wasn’t having panic attacks or losing sleep over it but I was contemplating whether or not I should just give up this silly absence from Facebook and go back to the liking, the poking, and the friending to people I hardly know or care for. I was away for 6 full months. I eventually forgot about Facebook and it didn’t bother me that I was missing out on the exciting things Facebook has to offer, like invading your life and having them creep on you like big brother from 1984.

• Like 1

Halfling

Wow! That was absolutely fun, fun, fun! I "unfriended" 156 people that were not my family. I am sorry if you were unfriended but please understand that I'm not going to be looking or posting anything of interest to you on Facebook anyway! I'm cutting the chains that bind me!!!

I also had a great time "unfollowing" all of my news feeds and such!

What a liberating feeling!

:jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

• Like 2

Halfling

Ha! This is way too much fun! I just remove the freaking Facebook App from my phone!!!!!!

:thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Mysticfour

Facebook? what is that?

• Like 2

brianinpa

Is facebook anything like a face palm????

I deactivated my account about 8 years ago. 

beenshot

I am about ready to follow you John :roflmao: or at least like and share.....

• Like 1

jobe05

For years I only used Facebook for immediate family and 75 or so people that I grew up with and went to school with. It's fun to be able to talk to old school buddy's that I grew up with even though I haven't seen most of them in 40 years. Then I started allowing people in from "groups" that I belong to.... But every now and then I'll go through my friends list and remove those group friends as we don't really talk. The one thing I find handy is the instant messenger phone feature. With it, and a decent Wifi connection, I can call people on my friends list, like several Canadian friends, Pete &Helen for free!!! Awesome feature!!

thecruiser

Wow! That was absolutely fun, fun, fun! I "unfriended" 156 people that were not my family. I am sorry if you were unfriended but please understand that I'm not going to be looking or posting anything of interest to you on Facebook anyway! I'm cutting the chains that bind me!!!

I also had a great time "unfollowing" all of my news feeds and such!

What a liberating feeling!

Wow John,... Now when your ears burn...  you'll never know WHY!   LOL

Road Runner

Wow John,... Now when your ears burn...  you'll never know WHY!   LOL

:agreed-with-sign:  About Facebook...

roscoepc

One form of communication that never really seemed to catch on is the video call provided by Skype!! To me at least it's great to not only talk to someone in "Real-time" but see them as well!!!

jobe05

I hate Skype...... It's like company dropping in announced...... Do you really want to see me sitting there in my underwear......

Halfling

If all you want is to talk for free over the internet, I have a my own Mumble server set up for just that very purpose!

http://www.mumble.com/get-mumble.php?gclid=CIPmlM74hc4CFYw2gQodFacHFg

All you need are the login details and you're good to go!

roscoepc

I hate Skype...... It's like company dropping in announced...... Do you really want to see me sitting there in my underwear......

OOOooooooooh,,,,,,, Baby............  :Face-Raspberry:

jobe05

I just checked....... We're not friends no more........ How will I ever communicate with you.........

• Like 2

Halfling

I just checked....... We're not friends no more........ How will I ever communicate with you.........

Absolutely no clue!

:Face-Raspberry:

Galaxyhunter

The third finger salute comes to mind. :roflmao: :SmileyTooth:  

I know that I'm a member of the minority crowd,  but I never could understand the need to know what everybody is doing every minute of every day. 

I have noticed that at the M&G's that I go to,  out of a group of say 10 people, only 2 or 3 are actually talking, the rest has their nose buried in their phones. That is not much of a GREET factor.

• Like 1

Halfling

Update: It's been a week now and I have not expired from lack of sensory input from the Facebook stream! There is a certain sense of freedom associated with not opening Facebook 20 plus times a day to see what is going on...Did I have withdrawal symptoms, sure did but I got over it! I now only have 49 family members on my friends list and I don't have to check it very often at all. Maybe a couple times per week will keep me up to date with the family!

Don't miss it, my life is better without it, I ain't going back!

• Like 2

jobe05

Well I sure do miss ya...........  :Face-Crying:

AZgl1800

I look at facebook maybe once a day, sometime two or more go by.

the only thing of interest to me is my forum friends....

i think I need to unhook from some of the groups, especially that GWRRA group, hundreds of posts per day on there from people that I don't know...

people I want to see, I am already friends with, and that is good enough.

I hate skype with a passion, I installed it just to talk to a freind up in Nova Scotia.  too darn hard to get it set up, I just called him on my cellphone and we enjoyed our visit.. then I uninstalled it....

I also hate Messenger, it is a mess... I don't have it on my cellphone, too darn intrusive...

folks I know have my phone number, and we SMS or actually gasp! call and talk for a while....

DaveO430

Finally someone agrees with my feelings about FB, I rue the day I signed on. I look at it maybe once a week anymore just to clear off all the notices and have had the thought of deleting my account. It was fun for about a week, until I realized it was mostly just garbage.

Dodge

Never had an account probably never will. I know several people whose marriage almost dissolved over Facebook comments and posts.

• Like 1

DaveO430

I just got done deactivating my account.

• Like 1

DigbyODell

I know that I'm a member of the minority crowd,  but I never could understand the need to know what everybody is doing every minute of every day. 

I have noticed that at the M&G's that I go to,  out of a group of say 10 people, only 2 or 3 are actually talking, the rest has their nose buried in their phones. That is not much of a GREET factor.

I like to cruise FB at night when I am bored..  I agree 100% about people spending to much time with their face glowing..  Annoying as hell!!

• Like 1

roscoepc

Hey Digger!!!!!!! It's been along time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parman

I'm guilty as charged.