Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
jobe05

Jack stand Holders

35 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

I now know of at least 3 instances this year alone of a jack falling down while on the move with the trailer.  In particular the rear stand.  I trying to thing of a way to double lock these in place. 

The rear ones, if you have a bumper is somewhat easy, just put a small flat bar 4" or 5" long,  on the bottom of the bumper that once the jacks are up, you swing the bar out under the jack, Done!  But what of you didn't have a bumper?  I was thinking drilling a hole in the frame of the jack into the jack and use a ball locking pin to hold it up.........??...... 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

brianinpa

I am not sure if you have the clearance for it, but when I was younger, my parents had a pop up camper that we had the same problem.  This was solved by drilling a few holes in non-structural areas and inserting something to this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cht-25010?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-curt-manufacturing&gclid=CjwKEAjw2PK7BRDPz5nDh9GjoGcSJAAybcS3hjEDZlU-isufFfMWCFsthISu3JH4Msc2W3B3mMxfsRoC4gbw_wcB

• Like 1

jobe05

THat was the idea with the pin ball lock.  Its a small pin that has a bearing ball toward the end of it that locks the pin in the hole.

I have SS wire that I could make a small tether for them to keep the pins hanging there........ 

Halfling

I believe it was Jim (JGL351) that drilled matching holes in the two foot plates and when they were up you extend the feet towards each other and put a trailer pin through the two holes locking them together in the up position.

• Like 3

jobe05

THats a good idea for the back jacks!!

Pearl Rider

Small stainless teather for front jack would be easy. On the front jacks of an aspen which way do they fold???

On my bunkhouse the front one fold to the rear and the rear ones fold side to side. Not sure how to fix the front but I will be following this thread

jobe05

Same on the Aspen, front fold back and the back ones fold into the center behind the bumper

• Like 1

Pearl Rider

Looks like it's time to get under there with the spiders and find a solution

pwhoever

Jobe, does this seem to be a problem with the original Jack stands? Has anyone had a problem with this after replacing with the newer version shorter jack stands? I just ordered the newer version as the original ones interfere with the rear spare tire continental kit. And these original ones were always stiff as heck anyway, I'm hoping the newer ones are a little easier to deploy...

• Like 1

jobe05

Not sure if it has anything to do with size or age of the jacks.  I think it's more operator error when latching them up, or thinking they are latched up.  Mine, probably due to age, seem Lose.  They still lock in, but they move a lot.  Just trying to figure a way to prevent event the human error factor.  If you have a pin to insert once you raise the jack, then there is no doubt that they will be locked into place.

thecruiser

Jobe, does this seem to be a problem with the original Jack stands? Has anyone had a problem with this after replacing with the newer version shorter jack stands? I just ordered the newer version as the original ones interfere with the rear spare tire continental kit. And these original ones were always stiff as heck anyway, I'm hoping the newer ones are a little easier to deploy...

Mike, where did you find the new shorter jacks. I've been looking for a long time, haven't found them yet.

pwhoever

I called the Trailmaster number I received in an email and spoke directly with Peggy. The number is 1-800-398-9090

The shorter jack stands are $29 each and they are shipping them to me as we speak.

thecruiser

Thanks Mike, But I'm thinking that price is just a tad high. As is most dealership pricing.

jobe05

I thought a tad high also, BUT.........  They are a name brand Jack and they are the ONLY 10 1/2" long jack that I could find anywhere on the internet!!!

thecruiser

I thought a tad high also, BUT.........  They are a name brand Jack and they are the ONLY 10 1/2" long jack that I could find anywhere on the internet!!!

As I said, looked all over the internet and couldn't find any either. What's a guy to do, huh?

I'll wait a while yet but I suppose I'll eventually break down eventually. I have a while yet though. I wasn't going to use the MM 'til next summer but I'm trying to work it out to get just one more trip in before my back surgery.

youngnbald

For you guys that bought new stands, what are you doing with the old ones?  I could use one stand to mount under the tongue.  With my cooler set up and extended tongue, I cannot function the front stands and hold up the camper by myself anymore.  Pain in the butt.  I think the stand on the tongue would be an easy fix.

pwhoever

Now I am getting mixed messages. I got the jack stands yesterday, removed the old ones and bolted one of the new ones on. Guess what, it is the same size. I called Peggy back and told her what I discovered. She said the whole Jack stand thing has been frustrating. She said when she called the factory for mine, she told them to ship the shortest ones they had. She said she doesn't think they have the 1" shorter ones. At the IL M&G last year, I was positive that Brady said they did. Either way, mine were hanging up and these new ones work much better. I still would have liked to have the shorter ones...

jobe05

When I talked to Brady about a month ago he said he received a pallet of the short ones in from China, but not a single one of them would extend, they were all jammed up inside and rusted so he had to send them back.  He said his replacements were here from the States, and they cost more, but he didn't indicate that they were the short ones.  If he got them here in the states, they probably were not.

Mark:  I would go with Johns suggestion if you have the room on your tongue.  The jack is nice, but it's hard to lift up on the tongue and lower or raise the jack at the same time also.........  Easier than lifting it to lower one on the trailer itself, but with the wheel, it's easier to move around.

PS....  I think Larry is running radials on his

youngnbald

I was considering the tongue jack like that, but didn't want all the weight.  I guess the other option is just as heavy.  Where did you buy it?  I believe our tongue is 2" sq?  I wonder if they make light duty models out there?  Lots of these jacks are rated for 2,000 lbs!  Not needed for our applications.

John.  I do set up the trailer as you called out.  My worry with a tongue jack is the ability to bend up the tongue from the unknown force these things can apply!  I believe Pwhoever had a bent tongue and my thoughts are the previous owners used the tongue jack to lift the camper to level it.  Our set ups won't handle that and bending would occur at the tongue in front of the camper.

Halfling

I was considering the tongue jack like that, but didn't want all the weight.  I guess the other option is just as heavy.  Where did you buy it?  I believe our tongue is 2" sq?  I wonder if they make light duty models out there?  Lots of these jacks are rated for 2,000 lbs!  Not needed for our applications.

John.  I do set up the trailer as you called out.  My worry with a tongue jack is the ability to bend up the tongue from the unknown force these things can apply!  I believe Pwhoever had a bent tongue and my thoughts are the previous owners used the tongue jack to lift the camper to level it.  Our set ups won't handle that and bending would occur at the tongue in front of the camper.

I searched all over the place for small and light but this was the best option I could find and it is adjustable which most are not. I took the wheels off and it's aluminum so it's not all that much extra weight. I mounted it back towards the ice chest rack as well. At that point on the tongue I can raise a fully loaded trailer with the rear stands down , high enough to change a tire. I see no evidence of a bent tongue.

Fulton F2 Twin Track Trailer Tongue Jack

Maintenance free - designed to eliminate the need for lubrication and maintenance

Corrosion resistant coatings cover internal and external components - will hold up in harsh environments

Ergonomic design - crank, release pin and integrated wheel wedge are made of strong, engineered plastic for a comfortable touch

Limited lifetime warranty

• Like 1

beenshot

I think that I have one of the tongue stands that Aspen sells for the classic. I have no need for it and never installed it.....13 inch tires solves many issues.

It is just a basic fold down stand but if you are interested in it, Mark, I could send it to you when I get back from my Yellowstone trip.

• Like 1

youngnbald

Larry, I got an itch here at work and did a bunch of research.  I just ordered the standard trailer stabilizer.  Just like the ones on the aspen camper.  Extended it gives me 19" of lift and lighter in weight than other options.  Thanks for the offer and I jumped already.  Wanting to get everything installed prior to the next trip.

• Like 1

pwhoever

Mine was bent from an accident that the previous owner was involved in. It was bent up a bit and skewed to the right. I changed out the tongue to a longer one and slightly persuaded the A frame part back to where it was supposed to be. It was fine towing to and from Il M&G. I haven't had the opportunity to take it any where after that due to the knee surgeries and then the broken leg. It will be coming with me tomorrow on the 18 day trip and this will be the real test. If there is any other frame tweaking, I will just do a frame swap from Aspen. I was quoted by Brady of a cost IIRC of around $300 for new frame.

Parman

Mike you leaving after me or getting back before me? I plan on being gone 20 days. :roflmao: