Sign in to follow this  
Flyone

SE Regional Meet and Greet - Brunswick/St. Simons Island, GA

229 posts in this topic Last Reply

Flyone

Thanks OWP!

AZgl1800

last June after having attending the Willville M 'n G put on by Jobe05, I went down to Georgia to ride with my son.

he showed me some very neat roads north of his Dawsonville, GA home...

He told me that the infamous "Tail of the Dragon" is both dangerous because of high speed idiots, and that it is no where near as pretty, or technical to ride on as the roads he has closer to his home.  Plus, it is cooler up in the mountains where we were riding. 

I'm not familiar enough with Georgia to pick out a nice M 'n G area, but I sure did enjoy the roads while was there.

A side note: on the way home, it started raining during the night before I left.... it was solid overcast until mid-afternoon, and I had my GPS set up to show "up ahead" as top of the screen.  As I headed out to the northwest towards Huntsville, AL the twisty turns and going around the mountains got my head all confused as to "which way is up".

I kept having this terrible dread that I was headed to the Florida Keys instead of Huntsville and Memphis... :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

I pulled into an old antique country store to get my bearings.  After perusing their aisles and just being totally engrossed in old saddles plopped on the floor underneath the sugar and peanut butter on the shelves, I set the GPS to show "North as Up" always.....  That finally got my mind in the groove and convinced me that "yes, John, you really are going west towards home" :SmileyTooth:

• Like 2

youngnbald

I have done two trips in early May each time.  Seemed like the best time to slip out of the North weather.  Had to use heated gear in the morning, but was enjoyable.  I will keep an eye on what you come up with.  Would love to travel all over the place, but work creates the money at this point in my life.  I will see what balance I can create and hope to get there and other events.

• Like 2

Flyone

Thanks guys and gals for the input! I'm in Indianapolis, IN this week and Oshkosh, WI next week, The Snores are traveling out west and Gator is working as well so it will be a couple of weeks before I get back on planning this event. Keep the feedback coming! I love it!

• Like 1

AZgl1800

I have been a pilot since 1969, and not once, have I been able to make it to Oshkosh for the aviation extravaganza...  :(

Flyone

I have been a pilot since 1969, and not once, have I been able to make it to Oshkosh for the aviation extravaganza...  :(

We need to change that John!

• Like 1

DaveO430

I set the GPS to show "North as Up" always.....  That finally got my mind in the groove and convinced me that "yes, John, you really are going west towards home" :SmileyTooth:

Yep, the only way direction of travel up works is if you know where you are already.

• Like 1

Flyone

Now that I'm back from Oshkosh, WI, I will be digging into this more. Stay tuned as I am researching and looking for a place to fill our needs.

I'm on a mission to get this up and going! :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Halfling

Up until this year I had been doing a annual M&G in Murfreesboro, mostly just a ride to eat thing. The reason I stopped is because of lack of attendance.

Flyone

Up until this year I had been doing a annual M&G in Murfreesboro, mostly just a ride to eat thing. The reason I stopped is because of lack of attendance.

Well I'm shooting for a long weekend event so hopefully people will participate! (Including you!) :angel-praying-smiley-emoticon:

Halfling

I'm in of course although Jobe05 and I have a standing springtime traditional ride/camp thing in Florida for a couple of weeks...usually in March. Now if it was the weekend we started our trip or the weekend we are finishing our trip then it could just fit right in nicely!

• Like 2

AZgl1800

Well I'm shooting for a long weekend event so hopefully people will participate! (Including you!) :angel-praying-smiley-emoticon:

Just gives me a good reason to stop by and see my son in Dawsonville again :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

thecruiser

I've been watching for your updates Larry, I may move this one into a thread of its own so that it gets maximum exposure. I know a lot of folks will be praying for you (including Nancy and I)! Keep us posted when you can!

I'm kinda mixed on the idea of a new thread John. I appreciate the additional Prayers but most of the fellows on the board have no idea of who I am. I haven't made it to any of the meets yet. Hopefully that will change a bit next year.

• Like 1

thecruiser

I'm in of course although Jobe05 and I have a standing springtime traditional ride/camp thing in Florida for a couple of weeks...usually in March. Now if it was the weekend we started our trip or the weekend we are finishing our trip then it could just fit right in nicely!

John, are you and Jobe05 going to be in the pan-handle in March again? This year June and I will be in Bonifay for March.

Maybe this year we can touch base.

Halfling

John, are you and Jobe05 going to be in the pan-handle in March again? This year June and I will be in Bonifay for March.

Maybe this year we can touch base.

Well Larry, the current plan to for us to go further south and east next year, we have our sights set on Sebastian on the east coast just north of Vero Beach.

• Like 1

thecruiser

Well Larry, the current plan to for us to go further south and east next year, we have our sights set on Sebastian on the east coast just north of Vero Beach.

June has a childhood friend that has retired to Sebastian. When we were at Lake Wales (last three years) we visited them.

BTW there is a Kilwins Ice-Cream shop across from the city park in Vero Beach.

Hope the weather is kinder to ya this year.

Larry

• Like 1

Flyone

Well everybody, I'm getting the location narrowed down a bit. It looks like the first one is going to be in Georgia. I'm not looking to keep it in the same location year after year and letting it get stale if you know what I mean.

Looks like early March is the best bet and staying away from school spring breaks.......this way if the folks up north get a warmer than normal early spring maybe they can come too!

Stayed tuned..........working out some logistics and negotiations have begun for attractive rates......

• Like 2

thecruiser

Early March may work out very well for me. We will be in the pan-handle for the month of March and am free on Fri-Sat and Sundays.

Only problem is, is this a 'camping trip'? My camper will be in Michigan.

youngnbald

Well everybody, I'm getting the location narrowed down a bit. It looks like the first one is going to be in Georgia. I'm not looking to keep it in the same location year after year and letting it get stale if you know what I mean.

Looks like early March is the best bet and staying away from school spring breaks.......this way if the folks up north get a warmer than normal early spring maybe they can come too!

Stayed tuned..........working out some logistics and negotiations have begun for attractive rates......

Last time I paid you a visit in March (in Kansas), I had snow on the motorcycle that night!  Interesting ride home the next day.  Guessing what shinny surface was ice or just wetness.  Hopefully GA will be a different story!

• Like 1

jobe05

Your going to charge us all to stay at your house?     :roflmao:

• Like 1

Flyone

Your going to charge us all to stay at your house?     :roflmao:

Dang! I should have thought of that!!!!!

Flyone

Early March may work out very well for me. We will be in the pan-handle for the month of March and am free on Fri-Sat and Sundays.

Only problem is, is this a 'camping trip'? My camper will be in Michigan.

Larry, this looks like a motel event but I'm working on camping there too for those who want to lay on the ground!!!

• Like 1

Flyone

I haven't forgotten about this......I can't seem to stay home long enough to finalize the details!

Looks like St. Simons Island, GA is the place for the 1st SE Meet and Greet!

More details will be coming soon.

• Like 1

AZgl1800

Think I will have to pass on this one.... :(

mrswannabe

Me and Mark are up for an excuse to come see you and everyone else.  Like Parman said our weather up here is unpredictible due to snow, ice, and cold weather.  We will be going to Las Vegas for nationals for bowling the last week in March.  We will keep watching the post to what is decided.