Sign in to follow this  
Flyone

SE Regional Meet and Greet - Brunswick/St. Simons Island, GA

229 posts in this topic Last Reply

Flyone

Here is the motel information: (Thanks Snorebabe!)

Property Name: Days Inn Brunswick St Simons Property Address: 5033 New Jesup Highway I-95

Confirmation #: 56141165
Call 800-363-2297 for individual reservations and reference the above confirmation number

Group Name: Southeast Meet & Greet, Block

Arrival Date: 3/17/2017
Departure Date: 3/19/2017

Room Rate:
Nonsmoking with 1 king bed
3/17 1-2 adults $63.99
3/18 1-2 adults $59.99
Nonsmoking with 2 double beds
3/17 1-2 adults $67.99
3/18 1-2 adults $63.99

To change or cancel your reservation, please call: 1-800-363-2297.

* Total Room Rate reflects all rooms and all nights on this confirmation page. Other charges may apply for local amenities like safe warranties and telephone access. Local surcharges or service charges are not included in the total room rate. Taxes are not quoted above and are additional. Extra persons may incur additional charges at time of check in. Please check with the property for further details.

Cancellation Information: 24 hours prior to arrival by 4pm hotel time

Everyone, just wanted to keep you guys in the loop of what I'm thinking.......

I'm now starting to think about doing a SE Meet and Greet. I'm doing some research on this now and will be calling forum members in the next few months as well for input and ideas.

Here's where I want your suggestions.......

Where to hold the event? I'm looking for somewhere in the SE that is a nice place to ride and accomindate campers and motel folks alike. Do you have knowledge of a place that meets this need? The SE is wide open for your suggestions!

Time of year question......... This is the tough one, I'm thinking early in the year as summer being very warm (hot) in the SE and might keep members away but If we do it in the winter, this also might elimate members that live in northern climates because of snow unless they trailer down. On the other hand, the folks who are sick of all the snow may want to come south as the weather is great in the SE during what we call "winter" (Temps in the 50's and 60's!) so I'm thinking Feburary or early March to do this event and also not to conflict with other M&G events.

I want this to be an annual event like the ones I have started and coordinated in the past. There is a lot of exciting things in the works within this forum and community that we believe all the members will like and obviously want the members to come to and participate in to become more like family and just have fun! That has always been the goal of Halfling and myself as owners of this forum. The friends all of us have met because of the love of Goldwings are irreplaceable and we want to keep this going strong and meet new ones as well so you don't have live in the SE to come to this event, we would like people to come from everywhere!

So post on this thread and give me your thoughts! I will take all suggestions into consideration as this event is going to be put on by the members for the members.

• Like 1

AZgl1800

When I went down to buy the White Knight "1500" in Tampa, I was there ~ March 12-15

the weather was pretty nice, it rained some once in a while, but the daylight riding was good.

I think March might not be a bad time, do it over the School spring vacation?

jobe05

March 12-15

I think March might not be a bad time, do it over the School spring vacation?

Worst time ever!!!

Halfling and my annual Florida ride this year was during spring break.  Camp grounds and hotel rooms were impossible to find and if you did find one, prices were at a premium do to spring break. 

We won't make that mistake again

• Like 1

Flyone

I appreciate the input and feedback! I will take all of it into consideration. Keep it coming members!!!!

jobe05

Sorry Bill, For some reason when I came to this thread the first time, it didn;t even show your post as it went right to post #2..... 

An earlier event would be a great idea, and it's a great way to kick off the season.  As I eluded to in my earlier post, Halfling and I take our annual florida vacation/ride.  What we discovered in the 2 years doing this is the further south you go in Florida, the more reassurance you can get for better weather.  Last year we stayed up near the panhandle area and had two types of weather, Dry and cold, or wet and cold........  It was 29 degrees the morning I left Florida for home......  We decided then that we need to be further south for any assurance of warmer weather.  BY the way, at the same time it was 29 at night and 64 during the day, Georgia was having 75 to 80 degree weather.......  Spring is a crap shoot from NC to the upper 1/3 of Florida in the spring.  Some years are great, others not so much.

We also still have the BRP spring M&G held later in the spring, although not in the extreme SE.

Halfling

I think the very first step in this process may be for our event coordinator to document all of the existing M&Gs (regardless of source) that our membership likes to attend and let's have a look for possible opportunities. Could probably start posting them up on the calendar I guess. Again, we won't be able to keep everyone involved but smaller subsets would be fine.

Halfling

I don't think he's a member here unless using a different name. We should probably pop that one up on our calendar.

• Like 1

Rebel Girl

I like riding in Georgia much more than Florida. But, wherever we can get to is OK with me. 

• Like 1

Flyone

Thanks Rebel Girl! I am definitely thinking about the great motorcycle roads in North Georgia!

I appreciate your input!!

Parman

I will tell you anything before May and 90% of the northern riders are out. We usually can't really start riding until end of April. The April weather is too unpredictable to chance a trip on the bike. :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

Trailering a wing is a sin. :roflmao:

• Like 1

Flyone

I will tell you anything before May and 90% of the northern riders are out. We usually can't really start riding until end of April. The April weather is too unpredictable to chance a trip on the bike. :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

Trailering a wing is a sin. :roflmao:

Yeah, I know Don but the later in the year, we would start having heat issues in the SE and we would conflict with other events. This is a 2017 event so we got some time to figure all this out. I do appreciate hearing from our "Northern" members as I know the struggles you guys have during this time of year. Maybe we need to get snow skis installed on your GW or if you're tired of shoveling snow, cage it on down to the warmth!!!

brianinpa

Georgia... Six Gaps... The two just seem to go together!

• Like 1

Russell lawrence

I live in SW Florida near Ft. Myers...  When I want to get away for camping trip,,, I go to Sebring, Fl to Highlands Hammock,,, http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/highlands-hammock-sp/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=FL&parkId=281036...  A real nice campground with clean restrooms,,, great showers w/plenty of hot water...  There are lots of areas and I am sure that we can get a area by our selves...  Sebring has a lot of good restaurants to go to or a group ride around lake okeechobee where there are some good places to eat...

This is one place and I will check with my friend Wayne(Wayne M) who is an motocamper  for some more possible sites... 

• Like 2

beenshot

The Keys in late Feb might be nice

• Like 2

Pearl Rider

Helen Ga. Beautiful place

• Like 2

Flyone

Keep them coming!!! I love the input!!!

Flyone

Thanks guys! No suggestion is right or wrong! I appreciate all the suggestions!

beenshot

I didn't figure that cheap and the Keys were two words that were ever used in the same sentence. :roflmao:

camping didn't seem to be real high considering the area.

â€‹

Pearl Rider

Too many creapy crawlies there for me to camp

Russell lawrence

I just received this from the Florida parks...  It shows the parks all over Florida...

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLDEP/bulletins/14e35c9

This might help for Florida...

Flyone

Thanks Russell Lawrence!!

OnaWingandaPrayer

I think if Fl. is on your mind consider Nov- March ( perhaps October) unless your immune to heat/humidity. 

• Like 1