Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

The Halflings Are Planning A Journey!

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Well, now that we are officially retired we have decided that a celebratory epic trip is in order. So, we are in the infant stages of planning a trip out to the California coast and back next June or July. Hopefully we will have our new ride by then! Total time spent travelling will most likely exceed 24 days. Any and all ideas and/or suggestions are welcomed!

Must see/visit:

Colorado

Redwood Forest

Glacier National Park

dwsonar

Isn't there a giant ball of string in Kansas? Don't want to miss that.

• Like 1

Flyone

Isn't there a giant ball of string in Kansas? Don't want to miss that.

Don't forget to stop at the geographical center of the US while diving through Kansas!

Dusty Boots

Time your visit to Glacier for the middle of July if you want to be able to ride TGTTSR!

• Like 1

Hodgy

Time your visit to Glacier for the middle of July if you want to be able to ride TGTTSR!

Yes the road is open today but the last time we did it in 2011 it did not open until July 13. It is worth the trip, do it East to West so you are on the inside of the road. I have done it three times and there was always construction on the road, mostly west of Logans' Pass. They do alternating stop and single lane through the construction.

Take your time as there are lots of stopping spots East of Logans' Pass, on the West side not so much coming down the grade. On a nice day the parking lot at Logans' Pass is full but bikes can usually find a spot. There is a nice short hike up the alpine meadow from the visitors centre.

Here is the link showing the status of the Going to the Sun Road.

Glacier National Park Current Road Status - NPS.gov

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

Yes the road is open today but the last time we did it in 2011 it did not open until July 13. It is worth the trip, do it East to West so you are on the inside of the road. 

Take your time as there are lots of stopping spots East of Logans' Pass, on the West side not so much coming down the grade.

Here is the link showing the status of the Going to the Sun Road.

Glacier National Park Current Road Status - NPS.gov

I prefer to ride it west to east as there are quite a few spots to stop and take photos on the west side of Logans Pass, which IMHO is the most scenic, but if you are camped in Glacier, ride it in both directions. Both ways have their merits   

Dusty

• Like 1

Hodgy

I prefer to ride it west to east as there are quite a few spots to stop and take photos on the west side of Logans Pass, which IMHO is the most scenic, but if you are camped in Glacier, ride it in both directions. Both ways have their merits   

Dusty

I was more thinking of staying away from the 18" rock wall that is supposed to keep you from falling into the abyss  !

• Like 1

Flyone

I love the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and the redwoods in CA!

jobe05

I love the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and the redwoods in CA!

THat was my suggestion.  Anything west of the cascades from Oregon border to Napa Valley.....

Parman

John,

Mike, Larry, Belinda and I are heading out to Badlands, Yellowstone, Tetons and Glacier in a couple of weeks. I will have a lot of info for you when we return. I have traveld the PCH from LA to San Fransisco that about it. Beautiful drive in the car. There is a lot to see out west depending on your route.