Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
brianinpa

Texas to Pennsylvania... in August

54 posts in this topic Last Reply

brianinpa

What am I thinking - it's gonna be a hot one!

Our son has been accepted to Texas Tech University for his Doctorate Degree in Music Performance so I have to do the unthinkable.  I have to give up my Jeep Liberty so he has a way of getting around.  After dropping him off in Lubbock, I need to beat feet to Houston for a training session for a few days and then eventually make my way home to PA.  Rather than flying everywhere, I am going to do the cardinal sin and trailer the 84 down to Texas with me and then ride to Houston and then home.  At least I am going to use an enclosed trailer so no one will see that there is a Gold Wing inside it. :D

I am giving myself seven days do go 1500 miles so I might actually be able to enjoy some sights along the way and add some new color to my map.

• Like 2

irish66

Ok, i would at all cost avoid i10! It s.....

From lubbock you could meander on down towards fredericksbutg, bye way of mason and brady. I can maybe meet you near fredericksburg, and run some back roads i know through new braunfels, more back roads from here to houston.

What part of houston?

Fredericksburg has the nimitz museum, aka war of the pacific museum, it is not far from luckenbach.

Just looked at the map if you take 283 to 377 to 87 it will run from santa anna, to fredericksburg.

You want to avoid 290 going through austin, austin really s...s for traffic.

From fredercksburg you can run south through luckenbcach, ya just have to see the dance hall, then south to blanco, newbraunfels, good food here! From here it is about three hrs to houston running out through lockhart, bastrop, brenham and into houston. Its about 550 miles, lubbock to houston, or about ten hours.

brianinpa

Houston VA Medical Center is where my training is at. I am leaning towards avoiding the super slap at all cost and Lubbock to Houston looks like 84, I20, 36, 190/6,and 290 into Houston. Since that's going to be a long day, I don't think I want to make it any longer.

irish66

Brian,

Figured ya might want to see the nimitz museum!

There is construction going on west of austin, on 290, in parts it will be stop and go traffic lights,

Me i try and stay as far away from austin as i can,

brianinpa

It is tempting... If I had an extra day, that would be possible.

brianinpa

Change of plans...

My initial destination is now Austin instead of Lubbock.  My brother in-law and his family is in Austin and they have some things they would like us to bring along with us, so I am going to fill the trailer with their stuff.  So rather than having to ride from Lubbock to Houston, now I will only have to ride from Austin to Houston... with a slight detour.

It seems there is a well known motorcycle road in the Texas Hill Country area, so while I am there I may as well ride it.

jobe05

THe offer is always open Brian, If you need a place to crash, eat, do laundry, wrench on the bike, you are always welcome!!  You have my address right?

irish66

Ok,

There are lots of great roads in the hill country!

When will you be in austin?

I am about one hour south on 35.

There is the three sisters, and a lot of great roads between austin/ new braunfels, and the kerrville area.

Should have my wing back together this weekend, and hopefully out of my achilles boot on the 19 th of the month..?

beenshot

If you get close to northeast Arkansas on your way home, give me a holler. That is, if it is after the 8th of August.

roscoepc

You coming back near Marion??

brianinpa

If you get close to northeast Arkansas on your way home, give me a holler. That is, if it is after the 8th of August.

Pine Bluff looks to be the further North I will be getting in the great state of Arkanas on the 13th.

You coming back near Marion??

I will be coming up the BRP, so not too close to Marion.

Halfling

I may ride a ways with you Brian, when do you expect to be at my place?

• Like 1

brianinpa

Ok,

There are lots of great roads in the hill country!

When will you be in austin?

I am about one hour south on 35.

There is the three sisters, and a lot of great roads between austin/ new braunfels, and the kerrville area.

Should have my wing back together this weekend, and hopefully out of my achilles boot on the 19 th of the month..?

I will be in Austin on the 7th and 8th of August and the Three Sisters in on my list.

I may ride always with you Brian, when do you expect to be at my place?

Sunday night the 14th.

brianinpa

THe offer is always open Brian, If you need a place to crash, eat, do laundry, wrench on the bike, you are always welcome!!  You have my address right?

A place to crash may be out of the question due to things I want to do in the Linville area, but I want to at least stop in and grab a burger.

jobe05

What dates are you looking at to be in my area.

I have to be in NY this coming Mon, to Wend,  THen Ill be back in NY 22 - 25, and again in NY in August, from about the 7th to the 20th

brianinpa

What dates are you looking at to be in my area.

I have to be in NY this coming Mon, to Wend,  THen Ill be back in NY 22 - 25, and again in NY in August, from about the 7th to the 20th

Looking at the 17th. If it doesn't work out, there will be another time.

jobe05

I can make that work. Sent you a ok. I don't need to be in NY past the 14th so I can be home by then

roscoepc

I will be coming up the BRP, so not too close to Marion.

Actually, not too far either!! If you can lemme know when yer gonna be near the West Jefferson/Fancy gap area! That's not too far and I'd like to meet for at least a Handshake and possibly a short ride together!! I feel a "Sick Day" coming on....... ;)  :D

BTW, if you want a PDF map of the Blue Ridge Parkway Lemme know! I'll email a copy to ya!!

• Like 1

irish66
I will be in Austin on the 7th and 8th of August and the Three Sisters in on my list

If ya are planning the sisters on the 7th, can meet you some where out there, early am. Monday have to work.

brianinpa

Most likely it would be Monday on my way to Houston... the long way to Houston.

irish66

If by some chance after 330 pm monday you are on i10 headed to houston, i work at 10 and ackerman, and there is a pretty good bbque joint not far from there, or if a little later, know a couple of good eateries her in n.b.

• Like 1

brianinpa

We made it to Austin and I rolled the bike off the trailer and fired it up. When we went to dinner, guess how I got there?

I told my wife that there is a very good chance I may look like a brisket by the time I get back to PA. Tomorrow the fun begins!!!!!!

• Like 1

roscoepc

Lemme know when you're gonna be near here on the BRP!!

brianinpa

The 17th. Exact time yet I am not sure.

• Like 1

jobe05

Unfortunately, I will be in NY during the time your going to passing through.  We'll plan a time to get together........  Maybe a camping trip to Seneca Rocks this fall.........

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,