Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
jobe05

Adding Electric Brakes

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

Well for Fathers day, I got the new hubs, brakes, and everything I need to add brakes to the Aspen.  I got a new set of rims, as I wanted something more open to allow air to pass through to keep the drums cooler.  I got an Inertia type controller that I will mount in a weather proof box on the trailer somewhere for activation of the brakes.  I also have been collecting extra LED lights to add to the new bumper I put on in the back, so lots of work to do this week!!!

I will try to take some pics and post as I go.

• Like 2

Halfling

Hey, post up your parts list and sources when you get a chance....it would be really useful!

jobe05

I got this set.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/371353059632?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Everything is included except the wiring and brake controller.  For the controller, I got this one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/142019325536?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will mount the controller on the trailer (facing back wards as if it were in the vehicle)

The rims are these:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/201593918334?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(Yes, I like EBay)......... 

The Brakes and hubs came with 2 sets of seals and bearings.  Not sure if thats by design or mistake, or if there is a size difference in the 2 sets for each hub they sent me as I haven't got into them yet to find out.

Another thing to consider is that these brakes and hubs will add 50 pounds to the trailer weight............. 

• Like 1

beenshot

My aspen already has brakes but I have never decided on a controller and hooked them up. Maybe someday I will get them operational.

jobe05

With the new rear braking setup on the Hannigan GenII set up, electric brakes are almost a must.  They went away from a car rotor, Caliper and brake pads.  IN stead they use a Brake set up from the rear of a Ducati..........  Why would they use a braking system off a 500 pound bike to stop a 1200 pound bike???  Stupid!

I had a few minutes today so I got one side installed (No Pictures).......  Getting ready to do the other side.  The hardest part of the job so far is the Darn tires, taking them off the old rims and putting them on the new rims.........  What a pain!!!  Actually, getting them to initially seat to get air in is what takes the longest time....  Wrapping a strap around the tire doesn't seem to help, at least on the first tire.

I'll try to get pics on the next one which I'll be doing in a few minutes.

Dusty Boots

I found using a ratchet strap around the 6 ply trailer tire helped in seating the tire.

17486572385_f363094474_c.jpg

16864011444_b96793e97f_c.jpg

17298935110_f10976a746_c.jpg

• Like 1

jobe05

Yea, I used a ratchet strap.  THe second tire took air with no problem, after putting the strap on.  But that first one, I had to ratchet it as tight as I could possibly get it to get it to finally seat......

Brakes are done, have been for a while, they were actually very easy to add on to the trailer.  I have them all wired and the controller hooked up and set.  Im finishing up the new brake lights and tail lights on the bumber now, then I;ll take it for a spin and see how the brakes work.

• Like 1

jobe05

Brakes are done and work Fantastic!!!  DOn't really notice them on slow roll type stops, I know they are there, but no jerking at all, on fast stops you really know they are kicking in as you stop much quicker, quicker than if I didn't have the trailer attached at all.

Some picks:

This is what I started with:

IMG_1271.jpg

.Heres the old hub.  THe PO installed Bearing buddies.......  I hate those things and glad they are gone!!.  I did use them after I repacked the bearings last year, yet no grease made it past the first bearing, Zero!  The grease on the left side was really runny and smelt burnt.  I suspect that side would not have made another 1000 mile trip.

IMG_1272.jpg

Heres the Axle with the hub removed, we wont be re-using these.  I'll clean them up along with the bearings and keep them as spares...........  OK......  thats a lie.....  I don't need spares, Im a Pac rat, its a simple as that!  I know I can use these someday for something........

I cleaned the axle to remove all the grease and dirt.  I notice a film of grease on the axle on the outside of the seal, so it had just started leaking, again, it may not have gone another 1000 miles either, so Im glad I am doing this now.  Notice the plate with 4 holes, this is the backing plate that the new brake housing bolts right up to.

IMG_1273.jpg

Heres the brake assembly bolted on.  I ran the shielded electrical through a hole in the plate to the back of the brakes.

IMG_1274.jpg

I grease up the inner bearing and installed it into the new brake hub, then installed the new seal.

IMG_1277.jpg

Heres the new brake drum installed, outer bearing is next.

IMG_1278.jpg

Outer bearing Greased and installed, Nut was tightened (40 FT Lbs) then back off and hand tight.

IMG_1279.jpg

Heres the finished product with the new rims.

IMG_1280.jpg

jobe05

I mounted the controller on the tongue of the trailer in a plastic box.  The box is temporary because it's what I had on hand and wanted to get this done.  That to is a lie......  It is what I had on hand, I did want to get this done, but I know I'm not changing it out till it starts to fall apart.......... so it is permanent.

IMG_1282.jpg

The wiring was very easy.  The wires to the brakes is a 12v live wire from the controller and a ground,  It doesn't matter which wire hooks to the brake magnet, their reservable.

IMG_1282.jpg

A close up of the wiring:  12v and ground to the brake, a wire to the brake light wire on the trailer and I had to ad a live 12v wire from the bike to the controller.  I had already installed a 6 slot fused panel that is fed from a relay, so I just had to tap into one of the empty spots and run a hot wire back to the electrical connector, same on the trailer, so I just plug the trailer up like I always do, and plug the one extra wire up when I use the brakes.

IMG_1284.jpg

Here's the extra 12v wire I ran:  Bike side

IMG_1285.jpg

Trailer side:

IMG_1283_1.jpg

I was somewhat hesitant to do this job but it was fairly easy and I am glad I did it.

The Brake set that I got from EBay, came with 2 sets of bearings and seals for each side in case you have 1" axle or 1 1/8 inch axle.  I needed the larger size with the Aspen Camper.

• Like 1

beenshot

Nice Job!!!

DougW

On the trailer I had with brakes the controller was inside the trailer. It is a set it and forget unit so having it out of reach was not a problem. It was safe from weather in there and out of the way.

jobe05

I thought about putting this one inside,,but wiring it I would have to put holes in the fiberglass tub which I don't want to do. Making adjustments to it is easier this way also, but your right, once adjust it should never need touching.

Parman

I like those rims. They look sharp.

• Like 2