Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Pearl Rider

Coleman 12 volt cooler

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Pearl Rider

Has anyone tried one of the Coleman or any brand for that matter. 12 volt cooler. I was given one from one of our team drivers. He says it works really good if you put a bottle or 2 of frozen water in it to start with. Biggest thing I can think of is they are inside the cab In the ac not sure how they will work out in the open on the tonque of the camper. Any ideas from you guys????

jobe05

I looked into do that a couple of years ago (put on tongue of trailer).  The issue with tht is the fan init is now out in the open air.  Driving down the road at 65 - 70 MPH will blow the fan fast, not to mention the road dirt and rain won't be good for it.

I have used one inside a vehicle and it didn't work to bad, lasted a couple of years before it lost it's cooling ability. 

DougW

We have one we used inside our trailer, they are not waterproof so we never put it on the trailer tongue.

They will lower the temperature inside the cooler to about 40 degrees below the surrounding air temperature. If you are going to be in really hot temps you will need to put frozen water bottles in it which could be a problem on a multi day trip. Ours said to NOT put ice inside as the water from the melting ice would damage the cooling system. If temps are moderate it will do OK.

jobe05

They will lower the temperature inside the cooler to about 40 degrees below the surrounding air temperature.

Yea, I forgot about the 40 degree thing.  Which is ok if its inside an AC vehicle thats in the high 70's range range.  Outside use......  not so much......

AZgl1800

I have 3 of them, in different sizes.

1 for a six pack of coke sized cans.

1 for a lunch box, and two bottle sized drinks,

and 1 that is about 24 quarts sized....

all of them work very well when they are inside, out of the hot air or sun.

the all drop the interior temp by 38-40 degrees...

I once put the little six pack inside the 24 quart, and was able to keep ice for a long time... :)

just had to do that, ya know..... :) :)

I used them when I was on the job, living on the highways all week from Monday morning to Friday afternoon.

they still work just like new..... and they all work best IF placed where the car's A/C can blow into the cooling fan's motor area.

none of them are worth a darn out in the open air.  unless it is never above about 60*

none of them are useful if left in a car that is not running, ie, in the parking lot...

interior temps reach 150* in a hurry, and the little electric box drops that to 110.... oh that feels so warm yet.

Pearl Rider

Well even inside the bunkhouse on a hot day I will not be cool enough evidently so i guess it will stay at home and collect dust like all the rest

Thanks for the insight guys I would hate for my honey and tea bourbon to get hot and melt my ice cubes when it's time for a toddy