Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
DougW

Headed to California, looking for suggestions

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

DougW

After attending the NASSIR event in Sioux City we are planning to head for the west coast. We have 4 weeks total for our trip. Currently the trip is planned to include stops at Deadwood for a day which will include a quick run down to Mt Rushmore (last time we were there the visitor's center was being rebuilt), a couple of days north of Yellowstone for the Chief Joseph and Bear Tooth highways ( we have been to Yellowstone twice already), A day for Glacier, staying west of the park, Then heading west to hit the coast somewhere near Portland, down to see the redwoods, a couple of days with friends in Sacremento, a day to take a drive around Lake Tahoe, then head east with A climb up Pike's Peak (on the Trike, not feet), then to spend a day or two with friends in Kansas City then on toward home.

This itinerary is pretty well going to use th 4 weeks as I have found a few things along the way to stop and look at but at this time is looks like a day and a half drive from Glacier to the coast, a couple of days along the coast, a couple of days from Tahoe to Pike's peak, and it will take a full day from Pike's to Kansas City then 2 days home form there.

I am looking for any suggestions on things to see along the way.

• Like 3

Steed

Enjoy your trip Doug and bring back some of your great photos.  Be safe my friend...

irish66

If you are going to be in sacramento why not run south down through goldrush country along the kern river, at the fork on the south end head over to yosemite!

I did this from grass valley south, a long time ago. My last vacation in ca before moving to texas.

The highway is 49

irish66

You can pick up 49 n.e. Of sacramento in placerville and head sourh.

It runs along the kern river, thrugh sutters mill and some other gold rush era towns. Amazing road to drive.

When you enter yosemite be prepared to pull left, after the tunnel and park, to just go o.m.....

Monkeytrucker

be sure to see the Grand Tetons.  Another place that is great is Spear Fish canyon west of Sturgess.  Crazy horse is also a great stop.  Of course the Pacific Coast highway and the giant redwoods.  

DougW

Route 49 to see sutter's mill and other CA gold history would be great, I will be looking to add that to the itinerary. We have been to Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Yellowstone (Twice) and the Tetons, They are great places but they are not on the list for this run,

beenshot

Stop by the 1880's town just off the interstate on your way across South Dakota. It is an interesting stop that doesn't take up a lot of time.

DougW

We have been to that once before, I am not sure if we will stop there or not. I do want to look at the Corn Palace, but that might be a day trip from Sioux Falls. Also plan to stop at wall drug, the wife loves this kind of shops.

DougW

Looks like we might be modifying our plan, the friends we were going to visit in Sacramento won't be there as they will be on their own vacation trip.

We will likely stay in the Rockies area, probably go to glacier then head south and come back east across Colorado. Still trying to get a general plan together.

Halfling

Dang Doug, this looks like the ride Nancy and I are going to do next year! I'll have to keep good notes!!!

dwsonar

I'm sure I've suggested this before, but it's one of the few places I've gone out west.

We drove from Laughlin, NV to Kingman, AZ on old 66. 

stopped in Oatman and fed the wild burros that come into town during the day. Good time there and a nice ride through the foothills.

Flyone

Doug, if you're going to hang out in CO, the Million Dollar Highway is definitely a must do!

DougW

Doug, if you're going to hang out in CO, the Million Dollar Highway is definitely a must do!

Been on the Million Dollar when we were at NASSIR in Montrose, pretty crazy road, I would like to do it again.

Our plans are still evolving, so we will see what time allows.

Halfling

Sure wish you were doing this next year Doug, Nancy and I both agree we would have loved to make the trip with you guys!

:sad-face:

DougW

Sure wish you were doing this next year Doug, Nancy and I both agree we would have loved to make the trip with you guys!

:sad-face:

This is probably the last year I will have the chance to get 4 weeks off in a row so it is now or wait until retirement gets here.

• Like 1

Hawggy

Do it when you can Doug. You just never know what the future has in store. Have fun and GL at 9.

Dusty Boots

Winger77 and I did the Silver Thread , Black Canyon of the Gunnisn NP and Colorado National Monument.

Did you run over by Teluride at NASSIR?

If not ride past Telluride and over into southern UT, visiting Natural Bridges NM, Glenn Canyon NRA, Capital Reef NP, ride along UT's very scenic Hwy 12 Scenic Byway, Bryce Canyon NP, Red Canyon, Cedar Breaks NM and Zion NP.  -   https://goo.gl/maps/WTdGjqKZEVR2

• Like 2

DougW

Winger77 and I did the Silver Thread , Black Canyon of the Gunnisn NP and Colorado National Monument.

Did you run over by Teluride at NASSIR?

If not ride past Telluride and over into southern UT, visiting Natural Bridges NM, Glenn Canyon NRA, Capital Reef NP, ride along UT's very scenic Hwy 12 Scenic Byway, Bryce Canyon NP, Red Canyon, Cedar Breaks NM and Zion NP.  -   https://goo.gl/maps/WTdGjqKZEVR2

Yep ken, we did not all of that when we were out there for NASSIR in Montrose, from Zion we went down to Grand Canyon. The snow was falling in the mountains so from the Grand Canyon we headed back via Albequerque.

At this point our trip looks like Rushmore, Devil's Tower, North part of Yellowstone, Glacier, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Las Vegas, Boulder, Monument Valley, Mesa Verede, Pike's Peak, a stop at friends in Kansaas City then home again. With 4 weeks that will be a pretty full schedule.

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

6/50 out of UT is the best (coolest) route to Tahoe from CO.

There's at Nat Forest campground, (Bob Scott) just east of Austin, NV

Outstanding night sky there!   ;)