Sign in to follow this  
thecruiser

GPS GUESTION ON A GARMIN 2597LMT

57 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

I got a Garmin 2689LMT as a Christmas gift from the Bride.

I just looked at the power cord for the Garmin and see no bulky antenna in it.  The directions are very vague about all of that and read like secret accessories need to be bought.

DougW

I just got a 2797 for xmas.  I have always used TomTom Gps and like the familiarity I had with them.  I have changed some of the settings on mine to fit me and have entered in a few addresses.  So far, a few of the things I like are:

Im leaving for Rhode Island in the morning.  When I entered the address, it planned a rout that was way to close to NY City (New years eve is not the time to drive through NY City).  I was able to "Avoid a road" by dropping pins at one end of the road where I wanted to start not going there, and another in at the end.  So it routed me further north from NY City.  So I like how I can change my route via the touch screen. 

I love the "Whats Ahead" feature.  Inevitably when Im traveling now, I can look for POI's like restaurants, and sure enough, the restaurants I like I past 20 or so miles ago....  This feature only looks forward on my route.

The one thing I dont care for so far is the Data fields that are on screen when IM driving.  Not enough info.  I can get all the info I need by clicking a button and the info screen pops up with time left, distance to go, elevation, average speeds etc,......  But if it's open, I can't see the map......  thats a little irritating to me.

Over all so far I do like the unit, I haven't taken a trip yet so time will tell.  It will get a work out in the next few days.

Apparently Garmin has removed the selectable dashboards. I have them on my Nuvi 500 and really like that. I did run across this as a way to see more information;

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/28379/no-custom-dashboard-on-the-2797-lmt-can-this-be-added

It may be helpful.

jobe05

Sitting on I95 on the border of Conneticut and Rhode Island. I came via NYC....... I was thinking if there was traffic issues, since it's New Year's Eve and it was 5 pm, surely this GPS would steer me around it......... I can tell you first hand that the traffic portion of this GPS is useless!! There was only once this whole trip that the GPS spoke of traffic conditions. It was as I was sitting still in 4 lanes of completely stopped traffic, 28 miles out of NY City, did it finally speak up to tell me that the traffic ahead of me on my rout was light..........LIGHT??? No warnings of construction nothing....... Useless

I don't care for the night mode. The screen turns about 4 different shades of dark green and it's very hard to see at night. I'll check the settings later to see if I can change the colors.

It does however navigate very well. Spoken directions comer a little late, under 1 mile, but I like the way they give the direction.

jobe05

Back home now, 1700 miles with this GPS and totally not impressed!!

When I left Rhode Island, after being on the road for about 30 miles, ir was starting to revert back about 10 miles, i.e. it would show the route and intersections that I already went through 10 miles back.......  Rather annoying.  After resetting it a few tmes over a couple hundred miles, it did stop doing that.

Traffic is non existent.......  I am going to contact Garmin about that.  Coming through Va, on 81 south, I ran into a couple traffic delays, several miles long.  Road signs posted the delays, GPS never said a thing......  I get nothing on the screen that indicates that traffic is even on, although the settings are on for it.  Just useless.....

On my last 19 miles of my trip, it kept wanting me to exit and take back roads home.  I live 3 miles from the nearest exit, but it kept trying to get me off to take the long way.......  If I was in a strange place, I would have take that route and no doubt it would have got me there, just 1/2 hour later..........

thecruiser

Sorry for all the problems your having John. You might contact Halfling for help.

He's has his long enough to get all the settings figured out.

Johnny R

Re; the lifetime maps -- I think lifetime means the time during which the GPS is in production, rather than the (much longer) time you own the GPS?

AZgl1800

On the 2797, I turned the Bluetooth function OFF.

It was way to darn confusing for it to be answering the cellphone. I got Rx audio in the helmet, but no way to get audio from the helmet back to the GPS/Phone.

And the Traffic Alert  mode is a Total joke, useless as tits on a boar hog.