Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
thecruiser

GPS GUESTION ON A GARMIN 2597LMT

57 posts in this topic Last Reply

Dusty Boots

Yeah and the Chic on the left with her butt hanging out is my Wife, " Huggy "..Dusty will like that one..LOL

LOL!  ....   she started it!   :P

I still like my Garmin Nuvi 765T  that I've been using since 2010

Cheap to buy from eBay, takes programmable routes, MP3 player/FM transmitter, Bluetooth etc and an audio out jack, which allows me to hear voice prompts over my headset, so I don't have to be watching the screen, or straining to hear it over the surrounding traffic noise!!   :thumbs-up:

Last year I received a very good Life time maps update offer from Garmin and bought it, so it's now always up to date.

Just because there are newer ones, that doesn't necessarily make them 'better'   ;)

Dusty

Hawggy

Last year I received a very good Life time maps update offer from Garmin and bought it, so it's now always up to date.

Just because there are newer ones, that doesn't necessarily make them 'better'   ;)

Dusty

So..Does this mean you can update my 4 Garmin 780's I use between the SUV's and the Bike for Free?

jobe05

So..Does this mean you can update my 4 Garmin 780's I use between the SUV's and the Bike for Free?

I know with TomTom you can not do that, thats one reason Im getting away from them.

We have a TomTom in My Van, Car, Timmy's Car, 2 in our two work vans and 2 on the Wing, for a total of 7 units (4 of which are the exact same model, bought at the same time).  I can only use one email address for each TomTom, which means I have to have 7 email addresses for 7 units, then trying to keep them all straight.......  Impossible!!  The only one I can update (due to memory issues.....  Mine, not the TomToms.) is the 6" one on the wing, but last time I updated it was just before I left to beenshots place in Arkansas last spring.  I updated both, the 4" and 6".  Before the updates, I checked the destination on both so the address would be in them, and they were both exact.  After the update, the 6" unit gave me a route that was 36 minutes longer than what the 4" unit was telling me.......  Same update on both units.....

Agrivating however when you can't use the same email address to log in for several units......

Dusty Boots

:roflmao:    No, I can't Bob!

Each lifetime maps update that you purchase is good for just that one GPS you registered it for, as they keep track of it by the unit's serial number, which they automatically detect when you log on.

• Like 1

Hawggy

:roflmao:    No, I can't Bob!

Each lifetime maps update that you purchase is good for just that one GPS you registered it for, as they keep track of it by the unit's serial number, which they automatically detect when you log on.

Oh Ok..So I just borrow yours then...LMAO

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

If you think you can pry it off my bike!   :Cigar:

thecruiser

I don't get it. I've ordered TWO Garmin 2597LMT GPS units...  I sent both of them back as neither one come with the Traffic antenna on the 12v cord and Voice Command didn't work on either one either. Both units were ordered from Amazon which took them back and gave me a refund for the full price. Other owners of this unit have verified with theirs, both Traffic AND Voice Command works fine.

Dusty Boots

Since you struck out twice with Amazon, why not give GPSCity a try?

jobe05

I hate ordering anything through Amazon........  There seems to be no control over what vendors do or send out.  The only good thing is that they do refund without much hassle, but your still without the proper product.

AZgl1800

I hate ordering anything through Amazon........  There seems to be no control over what vendors do or send out.  The only good thing is that they do refund without much hassle, but your still without the proper product.

I agree, the vendor pays no attention to attached notes....

I doubt the vendor even sees an attached note, if you can even find a place to add such a note...

The thing I don't like with the nuvi series is they have done away with the Audio out jacks now.

I had to open up my 2797 and drill a hole in the back case, and solder the audio leads across the speaker voice coil.

The Traffic Feature?

PURE JUNK AND ADVERTISING HOOPLA.

Totally useless, it is only available in a very few metro areas, and the info is so out of date by the time you hear/see it, the incident has expired.

jobe05

The Traffic Feature?

PURE JUNK AND ADVERTISING HOOPLA.

Totally useless, it is only available in a very few metro areas, and the info is so out of date by the time you hear/see it, the incident has expired.

I agree with that!!

If I see a delay of just a few minutes, I pretty much ignore it.  If it's greater than say 12 to 15 minute delay, I use that information to know it's break time and pull off to get gas, something to eat or just stretch for a few minutes.  By the time I get back on the bike, it has cleared.  There was only one time that I ever took a detour that it suggested and I was glad I did, as traffic wasn't backed up, but it showed me a short cut to the Pa. Turnpike that I never knew about........

AZgl1800

Once, when traversing St. Louis, MO going home from Ft. Wayne, IN down to Arizona way.....

we came upon a heavy slow down on the central freeway thru town... stop, go, stop, go....

I looked at the GPS and noticed an exit ~ 1 mile ahead....

I clicked on "Detour" and told it 5 miles... figured that was probably as far as the jam up extended....

15 minutes later, we were off on a side street, trundled thru town at 45 mph w/o stopping... hit all of the green lights :)

back on the freeway and off again.  cost me maybe 30 minutes total?

• Like 1

thecruiser

On our way down to Atlanta from Michigan my Garmin 2797LMT beeped in and guided me around the mess in L-ville, KY. All X-way around it and never had to slow down. "Traffic" seemed to work as intended.

I received my new 2597LMT just before we left. (third one)   I downloaded the maps and played with it some. Don't know about 'Traffic' yet but Voice Command worked right outta the box unlike the previous two.

jobe05

That's good you finally got one that worked for you Larry. It would be interesting to use the two gar mins, 2597 and the 2797 side by side on your trip to compare how the two operate and will give you the same guidance.

thecruiser

That's good you finally got one that worked for you Larry. It would be interesting to use the two gar mins, 2597 and the 2797 side by side on your trip to compare how the two operate and will give you the same guidance.

Ya, it would John. I could try it sometime. They both have the same maps, so maybe.

jobe05

I updated both my TomTom's (different Models) before leaving for Arkansas last spring.  Before the update they were dead even on the time.  After the update on both, they were over a half hour apart on arrival time..... 

Thats why Im getting the GArmin.......  time for a change.

thecruiser

The Voice Command works on this newest 2597LMT device. Still have a couple of questions though...

First is about the power cord with the Traffic Antenna. I've asked if all the power cords (with Traffic) are the same with that bulky thing about 3" long near the center of the 12v power cord. No one has answered that question yet. None of the 2597LMT units I've received have had the power cord like the one with a 2797LMT I have. I can't believe all the 2597's come from the factory with the wrong cord.

My second question... the cord that comes with the GPS that plugs into the computer...  I think it the one used to connect when using Garmin Express.  It won't CHARGE the unit, right? I get the message when I plug it in that, "This attached Power Cable cannot charge your device. Use the cable that was provided with your device". This cable seems to work for updating but doesn't seem to work with BaseCamp. BaseCamp doesn't SEE the Garmin is connected. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

jobe05

I don't have a 2597, so I can't offer any suggestions/advise on the unit itself. 

Does the traffic seem to work on your new 2597?  If not, can you try the 2797 cord on it and see if traffic shows up? and works.

Im starting to get concerned with ordering these off Amazon as thats where my wife got the 2797 that I'll be getting for XMas.........

thecruiser

I wouldn't let buying off Amazon bother you one bit John. I have never had a problem with them.

Which 2797 will you be getting? (LM, LMT, LMT w/ Bluetooth) I think that's all there is... LOL

jobe05

I believe its the just the LMT Larry. 

I wouldn't have much use for Blue Tooth on the wing.  Im not a huge techy guy, I like simple. 

PS -  My wife just informed me that it is LMT W/ Bluethooth........  Crap.....

AZgl1800

I have two of the Garmin 2797s

The Voice Command is only useful if you are stopped.

It won't work if you are moving.

For me, it don't work very well, it don't understand Okie/TexMex slang

thecruiser

I believe its the just the LMT Larry. 

I wouldn't have much use for Blue Tooth on the wing.  Im not a huge techy guy, I like simple. 

PS -  My wife just informed me that it is LMT W/ Bluethooth........  Crap.....

I'm not sure, John but I think the Bluetooth can be shut off. It shouldn't bother you at any rate having it.

I have two 2797's and one 2597 so all my vehicles are covered without switching the mounts around. In the car and truck the Voice Command is good to have in my opinion. Halfling has his wired in to his bike as you know. He can speak about how well the VC works on tha bike.

Larry

jobe05

I was trying out the voice command the other day on several addresses, tried each one about 20 times, didn't come close  to getting it right once.......  I figure there is a learning curve for the unit and myself.

zipp

I don't want to change the thread but I got a Garmin 2557 LMT foe Xmas and just wanted to know what anyone thought about them. Never had a GPS before. Zipp

jobe05

I just got a 2797 for xmas.  I have always used TomTom Gps and like the familiarity I had with them.  I have changed some of the settings on mine to fit me and have entered in a few addresses.  So far, a few of the things I like are:

Im leaving for Rhode Island in the morning.  When I entered the address, it planned a rout that was way to close to NY City (New years eve is not the time to drive through NY City).  I was able to "Avoid a road" by dropping pins at one end of the road where I wanted to start not going there, and another in at the end.  So it routed me further north from NY City.  So I like how I can change my route via the touch screen. 

I love the "Whats Ahead" feature.  Inevitably when Im traveling now, I can look for POI's like restaurants, and sure enough, the restaurants I like I past 20 or so miles ago....  This feature only looks forward on my route.

The one thing I dont care for so far is the Data fields that are on screen when IM driving.  Not enough info.  I can get all the info I need by clicking a button and the info screen pops up with time left, distance to go, elevation, average speeds etc,......  But if it's open, I can't see the map......  thats a little irritating to me.

Over all so far I do like the unit, I haven't taken a trip yet so time will tell.  It will get a work out in the next few days.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,