Sign in to follow this  
thecruiser

GPS GUESTION ON A GARMIN 2597LMT

57 posts in this topic Last Reply

thecruiser

If you own a Garmin 2597LMT I have a couple of questions about this 5" model...

I know it has Lifetime Maps and Traffic but does it have Voice Command too? If so do ALL 2597 LMT's or just the later versions.

The second question s about the receiver antenna for Traffic. Does the 2597 LMT have the antenna on the 12v cord like the 2797LMT?

I bought a 2597LMT but returned because the Voice Command nor the Traffic worked on it.

Russell lawrence

I own a 2597LMT and have no problems...  The traffic works and the voice command work... The traffic will only work if you are in an area what has it...  nice unit...

thecruiser

How long have you owned the 2597LMT Russ?

I bought mine in the last couple of weeks off Amazon but I have no idea how old it actually is. The description says it has Voice Command and Traffic. (LMT)

When I tried to use Voice Command, I got a message on the screen that said, "This feature is not available for United States in American English". When I emailed Amazon about it, their only response was to 'return for either refund or replacement'.

Maybe the 'earlier 2597LMT's didn't have VC?  Also I don't know if the Traffic worked or not. It didn't appear to have the Traffic antenna on the 12v power cord like the 2797LMT did.

I'd like to order another 2597LMT but not without Voice Command.

thecruiser

BTW Russ,.. do you attend of the Prower's RTE's there in Florida? We'll be in Lake Wales for Jan & Feb.

jobe05

I have been looking at the 2597 since last spring (Radio Shack), and it had voice command on it.  Not sure if at some point the 2597 didn't, but since I have been looking, it's had it.  I did finally decide on the 2797 (XMas present).  I don't think I'll be tieing it into the wing in anyway as it would be hard to justify the cost of the hook up for the little use I would get out of it.

thecruiser

I thought it was a little on the expensive side also, John. That and I couldn't find where it plugs into the bike.

Mounted near the clutch reservoir, I found (for me) it to be either in the way of the left side mirror or the speedo. Mounted on the vent using the EZ-GPS mount, it bounced all over the place, so I bought the 2595LMT. The Voice Command nor the Traffic worked on it. I sent it back and ordered another.

It's suppose to be here this Friday. We'll see it that one works. Haven't figured where Ill mount it yet.

I don't think it had the proper 12vdc power cord. It didn't have the integrated Traffic antenna like the 2797LMT did. And, lie I said previously, I got a message when I tried to use Voice Command that that feature wasn't available in the US.

Russell lawrence

I have had mine for several years now and not one problem...  Sometimes when I am driving around Ft Myers,,, I get a traffic alert... Also tells me when I am approaching a school zone...

I weather proofed the screen by some clear latex caulk and forcing up under the screen with an old credit card...  I covered the switches and openings with clear packing tape...

I can bluetooth my phone and pair it with the gps...  It will notify me of a call and if important,,, I will pull over and call the person back...

Larry,,, I do not know what a Prower's RTE's  is...

thecruiser

I have had mine for several years now and not one problem...  Sometimes when I am driving around Ft Myers,,, I get a traffic alert... Also tells me when I am approaching a school zone...

I weather proofed the screen by some clear latex caulk and forcing up under the screen with an old credit card...  I covered the switches and openings with clear packing tape...

I can bluetooth my phone and pair it with the gps...  It will notify me of a call and if important,,, I will pull over and call the person back...

Larry,,, I do not know what a Prower's RTE's  is...

Well Russ, I'm ticked! (at myself) I answered your post then hit a wrong button and the whole thing disappeared.  :Face-Crying: 

To answer your question about "The Prowlers", sorry, I dropped the "L",...

The Prowlers are a group of GoldWing (mostly) riders in Florida that plan on an almost weekly basis riding trips to different restaurants for lunch. RTE= Ride To Eat  The group hangs out on the Florida page of the GL1800riders board. 

The wife and I hang out in Lake Wales, FL about 100 miles from you, I think. I thought if you attended any of the RTE's we might meet up sometime.

There are different Garmin 2597 models just like there are different models of the GoldWing. The one I ordered has Traffic and Voice Command but not Bluetooth. For some reason the first one I ordered, while it was suppose to include Traffic and VC but did not. I have a question about your 2597... concerning the Traffic antenna...   On the 2797 model, the Traffic antenna in incorporated into the 12v power cord. Part way down the cord from the GPS plug is a plastic piece about 2-1/2" long and about 3/4" in diameter. My question is, is your power cord on your 2597 the same? The first 2597 I had, it did not. I'm thinking that is why the Traffic and VC didn't work. I think even though the box indicated it was a 2597LMT, it may have been only a 2597LM. The new one should be here tomorrow so we'll see what the new one is.

Russell lawrence

OK on the Prowlers...  I could not find anything on a group like you described....  How to you find them...  

thecruiser

OK on the Prowlers...  I could not find anything on a group like you described....  How to you find them...  

On the FLORIDA page on the GL1800riders forum.  http://gl1800riders.com/forums/30-florida-fl/

Russell lawrence

I found them on the 1800 site...  sounded like a bunch of kids arguing over the lowest number...  who cares...  I will ride up to meet you sometime after mid January as my bike will have a new stem head steering bearing and races... A friend is helping me change them as it seems a bit over my skill level...  A good restaurant to recomend is the Log Cabin BBQ in LaBelle...  darn good BBQ...  

Hawggy

I found them on the 1800 site...  sounded like a bunch of kids arguing over the lowest number...  who cares...  I will ride up to meet you sometime after mid January as my bike will have a new stem head steering bearing and races... A friend is helping me change them as it seems a bit over my skill level...  A good restaurant to recomend is the Log Cabin BBQ in LaBelle...  darn good BBQ...  

I second the Log cabin in Labelle. Ice Cream is free at end of meal. Rode to and ate there many times when we went to Sebring for the Winter.

" Larry " where do you stay in Lake Wales?  We will be in Panama City Beach for March with the 1800 with us.

Hawggy

post-3761-0-57796700-1449771814_thumb.jpg

We went on a ride with them one time. Amazing Food. Check out the Menu and the Food Pics.

post-3761-0-58795900-1449771777_thumb.jpg

post-3761-0-70416500-1449771836_thumb.jpg

thecruiser

I've been to the Log Cabin in LaBelle a couple of times. It IS good BBQ and worth going again.

Hot Rods closed a couple of years ago. I haven't heard that it has reopened.

They did have quite the burger...

DSCN0647_zpslh3jtflq.jpg

DSCN0643_zps7b4ipusd.jpg

thecruiser

I second the Log cabin in Labelle. Ice Cream is free at end of meal. Rode to and ate there many times when we went to Sebring for the Winter.

" Larry " where do you stay in Lake Wales?  We will be in Panama City Beach for March with the 1800 with us.

Bob, we are at an RV park about 6 miles EAST of LW on Lake Aurora. We are only there in Jan & Feb though. 

In March we are in Live Oak, FL.

Dusty Boots

Larry   ....  all Garmin traffic antennas are built into the plug in power supply cord.

I have found them basically next to useless and since I have my Garmin hardwired to my bike, that feature is not available because I don't use that bulky plug in power cord

• Like 1

thecruiser

Larry   ....  all Garmin traffic antennas are built into the plug in power supply cord.

I have found them basically next to useless and since I have my Garmin hardwired to my bike, that feature is not available because I don't use that bulky plug in power cord

That's what I'm asking about, Ken... Do ALL Garmin Nuvi units with Traffic come with that bulky antenna built midway into the power cord?

My 2797LMT has it and the 2597LMT that I sent back did not. I'm thinking that's why it didn't work.

Dusty Boots

That's what I said .... ALL the Garmin Nuvis are the same - in the power cord.

They screwed up with your's and didn't include it.

Hawggy

I've been to the Log Cabin in LaBelle a couple of times. It IS good BBQ and worth going again.

Hot Rods closed a couple of years ago. I haven't heard that it has reopened.

They did have quite the burger...

DSCN0647_zpslh3jtflq.jpg

DSCN0643_zps7b4ipusd.jpg

Don't know where you got this pic..But in the Top Pic..That Dude in the Green shirt with the vest on is non other than ME!!!!!...Small world eh?

Live Oak is only 3 hours away from our place we have rented in Panama City Beach. Do you have the Bike with you?

Hawggy

Getting back to the thread we seem to have Hi Jacked..If you need an extra cord with the traffic thingamajig built into it. I have one available and can bring it to Florida in March for you to use.

thecruiser

Bob,

Yup, small world. You know the other guy in the pic is right? You are between and behind Road Runner (Jim Pennington) and myself. In that pic, I'm holding The Burger. You can see my name tag also. I think you were sitting with 3-4 other guys at the table right behind yourself in the pic?

The pics I posted were taken with MY camera. The guy in the green shirt and Camo ball cap took the one with you and I in it, of course. We shared that humongous burger. When it arrived at our table, I thought, "This ain't gonna be good". But, surprisingly, it was cooked perfectly. Even the bun was good. Just too much of it. (thick) We only ate the bottom 1/2. 

Don't bother bring the power cord. The new 2597LMT I ordered came today without the correct power cord too. And NO Voice Command! That tics me off. The second one. I'm gonna send it back.

Don't worry about Hi-Jackin this thread. I''m the OP and I don't mind. Aren't threads conversations? Conversations seldom stay on one subject. 

I did find one more pic from Hot Rods with you in it.

DSCN0677_zpsqcriwo3y.jpg

• Like 1

Russell lawrence

I am using the 12V plug I got with the unit...  I have been thinking about removing the case of the 12V plug and where the wires that come from the plug  into a small printed circuit board and then plug into the back of the garmin...  that would get rid of the bulky plug,,, stay fairly dry or I guess one could spray clear poly-urethane on it to seal it...  In doing this,,, one would keep what ever traffic antenna intact...    

Hawggy

Bob,

Yup, small world. You know the other guy in the pic is right? You are between and behind Road Runner (Jim Pennington) and myself. In that pic, I'm holding The Burger. You can see my name tag also. I think you were sitting with 3-4 other guys at the table right behind yourself in the pic?

The pics I posted were taken with MY camera. The guy in the green shirt and Camo ball cap took the one with you and I in it, of course. We shared that humongous burger. When it arrived at our table, I thought, "This ain't gonna be good". But, surprisingly, it was cooked perfectly. Even the bun was good. Just too much of it. (thick) We only ate the bottom 1/2. 

Don't bother bring the power cord. The new 2597LMT I ordered came today without the correct power cord too. And NO Voice Command! That tics me off. The second one. I'm gonna send it back.

Don't worry about Hi-Jackin this thread. I''m the OP and I don't mind. Aren't threads conversations? Conversations seldom stay on one subject. 

I did find one more pic from Hot Rods with you in it.

DSCN0677_zpsqcriwo3y.jpg

Yeah and the Chic on the left with her a$$ hanging out is my Wife, " Huggy "..Dusty will like that one..LOL

• Like 1

thecruiser

I was taking pics of Bikes... caught Y'all by accident. (just wouldn't get out-the-way!)

• Like 1

Hawggy

There is a newer model than the one you are talking about, It is  Garmin 2539. and supposed to be a replacement  It get more expensive on Amazon.ca as you add the Bluetooth and traffic...2599LMTHD is the full blown version