Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 T-Shirt Orders Have CLOSED!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
jobe05

Winter Storage for your camper

51 posts in this topic Last Reply

AZgl1800

I can't get my trailer inside, and I'm worried about the rats eating the light wires.... like they did last winter on my Zero Turn mower.

I don't think a tarp will help much with rats.

and being outside, not sure that moth balls will help much either.

jobe05

When I bought my 1200', the PO had a small bag of stuff in the gas door opening that repels mice. It smells like pinesol, so when I put mine up, I cleaned it really well, canvas and all with pinesol. I looked them up online at one point and could find similar products at an RV place, so I may run down and see what they have for that as mice can be an issue here as well.

Monkeytrucker

Last year we had the bike post bearings re-torqued.  Had them replace the air filter while they had the Tupperware off.  They found that mice had made a home in the air cleaner and had eaten a hole in the filter.  They had small acorns stored in there.  The metal mesh kept the acorns out of the motor.  So now we place D-Con boxes around the bike in the hangar.  Also leave the door open for the cats to patrol for mice.

Good idea on the Pine-Sol type repellant.  We are going to put a lot of D-Con boxes in and around the camper when we put it into the big dog house.  Well when we put it away.  Still a lot of camping time left.  Would like to camp in the snow at least one time.  Big problem is that most campgrounds close from the last of November to the first of March.  LBL does have primitive sites that one can camp year around for $3 a night.  We spotted one that had a security light and a outhouse with a light so surely there would be a 110v plug somewhere we could tap to power the heaters.  We now have spent 67 nights in the camper since we got it in April and have towed it over 15,000 miles.

Estella had her MRI and carotid tests yesterday and in anxiously looking for her test results to be posted in the hospitals online test reports.  That is neat, as soon as your MD looks at your record and hits the post it button you can use your secret code # and read the tests yourself.

• Like 1

Galaxyhunter

-------------  We now have spent 67 nights in the camper since we got it in April and have towed it over 15,000 miles.------------

Gary,  Get off your rear end & go see the country:SmileyTooth:  :roflmao:

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Dang, with the robber baron prices of gasoline it is hard to travel.  It is amazing that within 30 miles gasoline is priced from $1.85 to $2.29.  Same gasoline is being transported longer distances thru the very area where it is $2.29 to be sold for less than $2.00 farther away.  Kind of blows the oil companies "Transportation cost" excuse all to pieces.

We really enjoy our camper.  It is the top of the heap when it comes to compact campers designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle.  I still have the dream of pulling it around Cuba.  Do not know why except that the white sand beaches, the people who apparently welcoming to visitors with dollars, warm weather and just plain fun.  Funny thing is that our Canadian friend Dust Boots can go there legally and we USA citizens cannot legally go just to visit.

AZgl1800

go to the Dollar Store or Dollar Tree and buy a bunch of Moth Balls, scatter them around where you don't want mice.

Monkeytrucker

Yes on mothballs, they also work to keep deer away from the little trees.  Estella hates it when they eat her small trees.  Last year they chewed 2 of her cypress trees down to the ground.  She saved one by wrapping the trunk and limbs with horse leg wrap.

Monkeytrucker

No good idea goes unpunished!

I decided to be a good boy and hooked the Aspen behind the ZTR mower and back it into it's winter storage.  Fit nice except for the tongue that sticks out past the roofline.  So the Boss, She who must be obeyed, supreme household commander and one who cracks the whip decided that being the roofing is in bad shape it needed a new roof.  So eight 64" pieces of G-Rib roofing has been ordered.  Will extend the roof about 4' out over the tongue.  Will not be too bad of a job as I will lay the air hose out to it and nail down some 12' purlins and cut a end cap out of treated lumber to dress the end up.  However SWMBO has decided that it needs a ramp and corner posts.  What the heck, it is only some more deck boards and a couple of pieces of 4x4 posts I have laying around.

BTW  Her 3 wheel car project goes into the shop today.  First item is to make sure it runs.  Then the torsion bars get lowered so the half shafts are level.  Then the clutch, brake and throttle gets moved so they are appropriately placed on each side of the back of the engine.  I am going to make a chain assembly to move the steering to the middle of the car.  Once all of that is in place the butchered back of the machine will be made into a tandem seating arrangement and the single rear wheel aligned and re installed. 

The body is still only in an embryo state as when the running gear becomes near the final state it will tell me how it wants covered.  My guess is that I will cut some plywood bulkheads and put luan plywood on for a covering and paint it with resin.  My friend says he will supply stainless steel sheeting to cover it.  At least it is a project that should be fun. 

Hope the license bureau has a sense of humor.  A 1978 Renault LeCar (R5 in Europe) with a Missouri title showing it is a Renu automobile.  However that might make it easier to pass it off as a 3 wheel motorcycle.  I will try to remember to take photos along the way and post them.

AZgl1800

Home Depot had a half off sale for BlackFriday, I ordered up a big Roofing Tarp for my m/c trailer to sit under.

A couple bags of moth balls under it will keep the mice at play elsewhere.

jobe05

Harbor Freight had their "Garage" on sale for $177 and I was thinking of getting one, but then read the reviews.........  Not happening.....

I have my camper under the back deck, covered with another tarp stretched out o air can get around it.

I may try putting up metal roofing under the deck to make it water proof under there which will help a lot.

Monkeytrucker

Dang it, I hate to have to put the Aspen in the big dog house for a while.  Actually both Estella and I are hating it as we had ideas of going to FL yet this year.  She got the bad news about her shoulder today.  Complete rotator cuff tear and will have to have surgery.  She has to have a consultation with the surgeon before she gets it done.  Just ticked off about the amount of time before they decided to do an MRI and read it.  There is no emoticon to show how she feels.  I keep telling her not to think about surgery, just think about getting back on the Wing and camping again.   Also tell her of the bright side, she will be on the injured reserve list during the crappy weather time of the year.

So moth balls, a desiccant and a nice heavy tarp over and around the camper and this weekend a new roof on the big dog house and the end of 2015 camping.

youngnbald

Now is the time to get the injuries out of the way (and motorcycle repairs or camper modifications).  Hope Estella has quick recovery and that camping trip comes quick enough for you two.  I am itching for a ride myself!

Monkeytrucker

First, today we met with Estella's MD and got some scary news.  She has completely torn two (2) of the rotator cuff tendons/muscles in her shoulder.  She is to meet with the surgeon next week.  However the doc today started prepping her to the fact that they might not be able to repair it due to the amount of damage.  To say the least she is bummed and SCARED you know what less.

She is saying that being Thursday is supposed to get to about 60 and sunny we are going to try to take a ride somewhere on the 1800.  She says 2 out of four not torn decreases the odds of tearing one.  Kind of like the old thing of how to improve your chances of not being on an airliner with a bomb on board, carry a bomb yourself as the odds are much greater against 2 people with bombs on board.

Here is a photo of the Aspen Classic storage house we just finished putting a metal roof on.  Down, dirty and done for $150 not counting my labor.   The structure was a dog house for Estella's sisters Saint Bernard.  The boards on each side of the opening are just there until I get a 5/4 x 6 deck board long enough to cut 2 the proper length.  The Aspen fits perfectly.  She insisted on putting that piece of cement bag over the brake controller that is on the tongue.  I need to snake a power cord to it for the battery tender on the trailers internal battery.  The trailer is probably going to get set up as an additional bedroom when we have family here for Christmas festivities.

IMG_7992_zpspuad9oxg.jpg

Hopefully I am going to be able to get Estella's 3 wheel car/motorcycle into the shop next week and start on making it a reality for her.  It just has to start and run before anything else gets started.  I thought some neat wheels might look good on it but when I started researching wheels I ran into a big problem.  The Renault R-8 (leCar) wheels are 3 lugs on a 150mm bolt circle.  There are some Renault (clio ??) 3 hole wheels that are really nice aluminum ones but they are scarce and eBay for 300-500 Euros each.  Who knows, she might have the coolest ride in the area when we are done.

When it rains it pours, just got the call that our son's wife Mary has to have her gallbladder removed tomorrow, Wednesday.  Our family is making a lot of MDs Christmas shopping a lot richer....

Galaxyhunter

--------

Here is a photo of the Aspen Classic storage house we just finished putting a metal roof on.  Down, dirty and done for $150 not counting my labor.   The structure was a dog house for Estella's sisters Saint Bernard.  The boards on each side of the opening are just there until I get a 5/4 x 6 deck board long enough to cut 2 the proper length.  The Aspen fits perfectly.  She insisted on putting that piece of cement bag over the brake controller that is on the tongue.  I need to snake a power cord to it for the battery tender on the trailers internal battery.  ---

Be careful.  When I used to take my telescope to star parties,  I would tarp it when I was done for the night.  Every time I would look at it in the morning, the mirror would be totally wet from dew.  If you are going to have a bag on it,  make sure it is completely sealed so no moister can get into the electronics.  If it was me, I would remove the controller for the Winter.

Monkeytrucker

I plan on the tender unit being outside the camper and simply plugged into the 12v part of the trailer plug.

Estella and I made a little 290 mile ride today down thru Indiana and into northern Kentucky.  She did very well riding with the torn shoulder.  When we went to climb on we opened the trunk on the bike to get her gloves and put her war bag in it and had a surprise.  We have had mice get into the trunk and a couple weeks ago I put a D-Con bait trap in there.  Even the Honda people cannot find how they get into the trunk.  Well we looked at the bait trap and it had some mice turds in it.  Hope the little buggers got a belly ache.  I even have the bait traps placed around where the wheels and side stand touch the floor of the Hangar.  The moth balls are going into the bike tomorrow and also in and around the camper.  Bottom line is that regardless what a person does those little critters will get around it. 

I have been rolling the yard with a 1,000 lb. roller trying to discourage moles.  The next day they have reopened their runs.  At least I am finding their most important runs.  We are going to kill every grub within a mile for next year and are going to spray cinnamon and garlic powder mixed in water over the yard.  Supposedly they do not like those smells.  Now that I have their major runs located I might put a hose on the exhaust pipe of the mower and gas them.  If it worked for Hitler it might work on moles as the gasses will go wherever the runs take it.

Monkeytrucker

Camper came out of the storage hut today.  We are going to camp in it the 30th and new years eve.  Great way to enter 2016, sleeping in the camper.  Hopefully it will be a good omen.

Where are you going to go camping at this time of year?

• Like 2

jobe05

I have to go to Rhode Island for a couple of days at the end of this week and I was watching the weather thinking I could ride the wing and take the camper, but the weather in Rhode Island isn't going to be that great next weekend, so 4 wheeling it and hotels.......

Monkeytrucker

what weather!  Even in the north of the UK it is flooding.

Our trip probably just got turned upside down.  Read about it in the non-motorcycle related forum here.  We are sad this evening.  Hope Moca and Baby are having a better day.

Dusty Boots

just a little bit of intermittent rain/freezing rain/back to rain here and 42*

Parman

We got hit pretty good yesterday with 50 mph winds, freezing rain, and snow mix. Had 42000+ without power and have been working the crews 16 on 8 off. Got it down to 11000 so hopefully by tomorrow morning we will have it cleaned up.

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

We got hit pretty good yesterday with 50 mph winds, freezing rain, and snow mix. Had 42000+ without power and have been working the crews 16 on 8 off. Got it down to 11000 so hopefully by tomorrow morning we will have it cleaned up.

I feel sorry for you guys in the extension cord business.  Saw a line crew with their bucket truck loaded on a mud float (flat steel bottom skid big enough to load oil field equipment and etc. on) being pulled in by a very large Cat that would go ahead 100' or so and then winch the float to him.  Places they were going thru was under a foot or so of water in spots.  Can guarantee you they were going in that way just to fix some farmers downed line.  Something important needed their extension cord fixed. 

Monkeytrucker

With the temperatures dropping into the single digits I think one would find their Aspen Campers a little lacking on insulation in the canvas walls.

:roflmao:

However I think it would be a nice challenge to take it out and camp.  Turn on about 3,000 watts of electric fire and see if one could be comfortable.  We have found that at 30 degree f we had to turn the heaters down to medium on one and the other off.  We sleep on top of the Aspen camper pad with a 1.5" gel foam pad with my big -10 rated sleeping bag spread over the top of that.  That makes for a nice comfortable bed while insulating us from the cold from below the bed board. We use a sheet, comforter and a quilt over us.  We actually do that when it is hot and we are running the A/C on max.

Monkeytrucker

This Sunday, April 3rd, 2016 will be the 1 year anniversary of Estella's retirement and the 1 year anniversary of owning the Aspen.  The weather prognosticators are showing temps in the 50s and 60s and nights in the mid 30s.  So it looks like we just might be headed to LBL and a night or two of camping.  Probably not riding the bike unless by some chance the Doc will let her ride.  Even if we pull it with the Fiat it will still be camping.  Should be a big boost to our spirits.

• Like 5

Monkeytrucker

Neat thing is that getting the camper ready is going to have some help.  The home care lady loves camping and she is wanting to see the Aspen inside and out so she is going to help Estella get everything ready to leave direct from her PT session.  Taking a couple of work days away from Renee` might put a kink in that schedule but the rest might make the rush to the end go a little quicker.

All of the mothballs are going to get recycled into mole runs.  Using the plug aerator on the yard did not hurt the grass any but it appears that the mole runs are a lot fewer.  Maybe the mothballs in the runs will further make their lives so uncomfortable that they will depart.  This evening I had to do the third mowing.  Still spotty growth but it is filling in quickly.  Estella did the mowing last year but until she is able to operate the levers on the ZTR mower I get stuck doing all of the mowing.

She is chomping at the bit to get to drive her Fiat again.  She thinks I am having too much fun driving it.  She is right.  That is about as much fun as driving a true racing go-kart like we did years ago back in the days of running two West Bend 580 engines with twin Tillotson carbs. 

jobe05

Halfling and I had the opportunity to test our campers out for last week and a half!!  After a long winter covered up outside, mine fared very well. JUst opened it up, charged the battery for the lights while I was reloading all my gear, and off to Florida we went!!!!

Glad to be home though, to warm up and dry out.  We decided to stay in the Panhandle area which was cold and rainy most of the time that we were there, but with the protection of the campers and canopy off the side of the camper, we had a great time!!  I love my camper!!  Now for an upgrade to a trike!  Becca approved it.......

• Like 3