Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 T-Shirt Orders Have CLOSED!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
jobe05

Winter Storage for your camper

51 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

Winter is once again coming and Im trying to think of ways to prep the camper for storage.

I don't have enough room to put the camper inside, so I store it under the deck (2 stories up) at the back of the house.

Years past I had moisture issues even though I covered the camper with a tarp.  I think I have the moisture issue resolved by sealing the top cover, which I will do again before final storage.  I have removed anything liquid from the camper that could freeze, removed all personal "Cloth type items that could absorb or hold in moisture. 

When I park it in it;s spot for the season, I will cover the tires with trash bags to keep them from the ground, weather and direct sun.  I will jack it up on the stands so the weight doesn't stay on the suspension all winter.

Im going to put a tarp over the trailer, but should I put steaks up so the tarp stands away from the camper so air can flow around it? or does it matter?

Also, what should I do to the tub?  Wax it good this fall, or just sore it and clean it up again in the spring?  It is cleaned now, just not sealed in anyway, don't know if that would make a difference.

What do you all do that store your campers outside?  (Or am I the only one)

Parman

Wash it, wax it and back it into corner of the garage. Done. It goes in the corner of garage and snowmobile comes out of that corner of the garage.

Halfling

No garage...I would put a tarp under it first and bring it up over the sides, then the tarp over the top. I always thought a lot of ground moisture comes up from below. Not sure, just a suggestion.

• Like 1

jobe05

No garage...I would put a tarp under it first and bring it up over the sides, then the tarp over the top. I always thought a lot of ground moisture comes up from below. Not sure, just a suggestion.

I was thinking that at one point, for the ground cover aspect.  You've seen under my deck, it can be a muddy mess there at times.  I was going to put down some 18"x18" paver stones for the trailer to sit on.  I was thinking, for my situation of setting 4 2x4's into the ground near each corner for the tarp to set on, put a 5 gallon bucket, upside down on top of the camper to keep the tarp off an water can run off.  This would allow a decent air flow around the camper......... 

I thought about getting a 17' x 10' temporary garage from HF but based on the reviews of the new ones they are selling, it would be useless........ need more storage.....  and acreage for those buildings....

DougW

If on dirt a sheet of plastic to keep moisture from coming up under it is a good idea.

Put a tarp over it but use something to hold it up to make a tent over the camper, leave the ends open so it gets plenty of air movement.

flylow

Go to a big box store and pick up a painter's drop cloth for under the trailer as per Doug above.  They are cheap, big, and throw away come spring.

Dusty Boots

Make sure you use the McNett Seam Grip when you go to reseal the stitching, after you clean it up with paint thinners 1st, followed by rubbing alcohol

jobe05

Make sure you use the McNett Seam Grip when you go to reseal the stitching, after you clean it up with paint thinners 1st, followed by rubbing alcohol

Found it at Richard's Sporting goods once, 1 tube, they haven't had it since....  or can't keep it on their shelves.

Will have to look elsewhere as it is really good stuff!! 

Good tip on cleaning the seams.  That last stuff I used made a mess and looks like crap....

Kar650

How about shrink wrap like they do boats.

Monkeytrucker

We are going to store ours in the Dog house that Estella's sister built for her St. Bernard dogs.  I modified the front opening and we can back the trailer into it and only the tongue will be sticking out.  We are going to line the inside, including the floor, with greenhouse plastic.  The trailer will be wrapped with a good silver colored tarp.  Should keep the rain off and critters out.  Will throw a bunch of mouse killer in just to keep them out.  Have to keep it ready for any sudden trips.

There are big plastic bags designed for putting vehicles inside.  Some good grade plastic and a big roll of duct tape could keep things relatively dry.  Maybe put a very small light bulb inside to help it keep moisture out. 

Dusty Boots

Found it at Richard's Sporting goods once, 1 tube, they haven't had it since....  or can't keep it on their shelves.

Will have to look elsewhere as it is really good stuff!! 

Good tip on cleaning the seams.  That last stuff I used made a mess and looks like crap....

If you can't find it locally, then buy a tube here (excellent price!)

Prepare the seams as I instructed above and apply the seam grip with a small solder brush (usually included), covering the seam completely with a thin coat, overlapping the stitching by 1/16"

5273822843_f0c654a217_m.jpg

Let cure for 4 -5 hrs and then apply a light dusting of talc/baby powder to remove any 'tack'.

jobe05

Wow.....  I didn't even think to look on EBay for it, and I get all my stuff from EBay......

Ordered 2 tubes of it!!

Thanks!

Pearl Rider

John are you sure you want to put a 5 gallon bucket on your top and let it sit all winter,   I was thinking something a little softer and the first thing that came to mind was the noodles that you see people use in swimming pools.  They are long enough to go across and will not leave an impression in your cover. problem would be they are seasonal and might be hard to find this time of year.  since it is close to Halloween maybe you can find something on sale about nov 3 that will do the trick.

jobe05

The camper would be folded up with the cover on it, I would put something soft, like bubble wrap or the like down first, but the bucket (3 gallon) then the tarp.  I just don't want to put anything on it that will draw moisture, and leave plenty of air flow so there no chance of condensation anywhere.

I am also thinking about enclosing an area under my deck......  Which be like a small garage for it.

• Like 1

Rampal1955

Just two quick suggestions. if there is a furniture manufacturer in your area, you might be able to get one of the big plastic bags they ship furniture in. They usually can be shrink wrapped to seal the bag.. The other thing is you can go to WalMart and buy a small plastic container of the moisture collecting material that is used in wet areas. You just put the container in the camper, punch out the holes in the lid and it will keep things dry.. Hope this helps.. paul

Halfling

No garage here either so;

• Ground cover (tarp)
  • 2-4 wooden pallets on top of tarp
  • Trailer on top of pallets
  • Pull ground tarp up over the trailer
  • Wooden "arch" attached from front of trailer to rear
  • Tarp over the top

Should leave plenty of air space and circulation

Thoughts?

Dusty Boots

Another thing I do to prep for winter storage and PM midway during the camping season, is to spray down/wipe into the roof and tonneau cover with some 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Not only does this stuff protect these areas against harmful UV rays, but it helps to resist stains (will actually help remove them) and adds an extra layer of water repellancy to those areas as well.

Good stuff, just make sure you follow the simple directions!    :thumbs-up:

Might want to check out Flea Bay for it, as I bought a 1 gal jug of it last year, for  $36.70, including free shipping

Dusty

Monkeytrucker

Store for winter?  Now that is crazy.  We are going camping at the Land Between the Lakes at Grand Rivers, KY this Friday night.  Supposed to be 32 f at night. 

Days are supposed to be beautiful at around 60 f.  Was going to ride the bike but Estella fell Sunday night and either badly sprained her shoulder or tore her rotator cuff.  She cannot lift her right arm so getting in and out of the insulated gear even with help not to mention climbing on and off the bike is out of the question.  The Aspen tows behind the Fiat 500 with absolutely no problem so we will not miss the two Christmas shows at the Badgett Playhouse.

pwhoever

Sorry to hear about Estella. Hopefully it is nothing serious and she heals up quickly...

jobe05

Oh don't get me wrong, I haven't put t away yet........  No plans for camping, but I have some tinkering to do with it yet before I pack it away.

Hope Estella is feeling better.........  You really gotta sop beating her......

Monkeytrucker

Stop beating her?  For me it is the greatest thing as now she only has one arm to hit me with....  Maybe you should trip Becca and enjoy a sporting chance. 

Estella has been doing a lot of falling lately.  At the IL M&G she fell and blacked her eye.  The falling has to be addressed as old age, while being one excuse, does not explain it all.

They are going to do a shoulder MRI next Tuesday.  Earliest they can do it.  All booked up. 

Still going camping at Grand Rivers, KY this week end.  Might have to make a lot of Hot Chocolate.

• Like 2

jobe05

I suspect even with one bad arm that little stick of dynamite could still kick your butt if she needed to!  :roflmao:

I hope they can figure out why she falls though.  It's tough getting older but that not the reason for issues.....

Parman

I hope all goes well with Estella. Bless her heart. Dealing with you is bad enough. To keep falling down is not good.

jobe05

Opened up the camper yesterday to clean and do the final storage prep,  First thing I noticed when I opened it is that where I put the rubber mat over the bed support, then fold the tent roof over it was putting a dark mold spot on the roof of the camper, not a huge spot, not a dark spot, but a discolored spot.  I went to the Internet in search of a reasoning and cure for this and here is what I learned. 

Even vinyl needs to be treated from time to time to protect it from weather and UV rays.  .There are several products on the market that do this, 303 products is one of them that came with the highest ratings, but I couldn't find any locally (but will order some on line so I'll have it for next year).  I purchased a bottle of Blue Magic, Convertible Top cleaner and protectant, with UV protectant ($6.99 at Autozone).  I had already cleaned the top, I thought very well, but after using this stuff, what a difference it made in the whiteness of the top and in the sheen it brought out.  Very happy with the results.

Today Im going to take out the memory foam mattresses and any other items thats in it that could trap moisture.  I have cleaned and resealed the top cover for it and so far no leaks in it so it should have a good rest over the winter months.  I expect to open it up i the spring just as I am putting it away now. (fingers crossed)

Monkeytrucker

We camped for 3 beautiful days in the Land Between the Lakes in KY & TN this past weekend.  We noticed that even though we cleaned the vinyl a month ago we still need to do it again.  Have a thought about taking the whole thing to a shop that does auto tops and etc. to see what they would charge to give it a good cleaning and sealing.  Might be good money spent.

As of Sunday morning we counted that we have spent 67 nights in the Aspen and have towed over 15K miles since April of this year.  Too bad we are not getting any use out of it.... 

The little problems we have found such as the long jacks probably pale to the things we have heard from other brands.  Brady sent us some handouts and this past weekend we handed out 2 to people that came up to see the rig.  One guy was there with a nice big camper and was very interested that there were really nice trailers that you can pull behind a bike.  Estella loves to show off her vacation home.  She gets testing done on her injured wing done this Tuesday so we might find out if we HAVE to store the Aspen or still get in some more camping this year.