Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
jobe05

2016 - NAGF 2nd Spring Blue Ridge M&G

306 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

I had made a post a while back and the other day I was looking through the thread and didn't find it, I must not have hit the "Post" button when I was done with it.

Last summer while camping at Willville, one of our other members, Allen, Pearlrider, was also camping that weekend with his lovely wife.  We were talking about the next NAGF M&G and I was telling Allen that I would love to do a whole Hog, but I had 2 problems doing this.  The place I can get my Hog from can only get up to 100 pounds (head on).  I felt I needed bigger, about 120 - 130.  The second problem I had was I didn't have a pig cooker......  Allen immediately spoke up and told me of a place near him that can get me that size Hog, and prepare it the way I wanted it for smoking, AND, He has a smoker that he would bring up and cook it for us!!!!

So my hats off to Pearlrider for helping make this happen!

We are going to meet up there the weekend before to cook a couple of pork butts so we know we got the cooking times down to not duplicate the issues that we had last year.

• Like 4

Hawggy

" cooking times down to not duplicate the issues that we had last year."

Your cooking, along with all the help and assistance from your lovely wife and others was deeply appreciated by us attendee's. The food was great but the " Company " was better. Looking forward to this year.

• Like 1

jobe05

This year should be a whole lot smoother!!! 

I know have a 36" gas Griddle which will make cooking breakfast a lot faster and better!!!  Those electric griddles just don't cut it when your cooking that much food.

My plan is to have the Big, whole Hog meal on Friday night, then we can have the left overs the erst of the weekend.  We can warm the pulled pork up on the grill for BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.  I'm sure I'll have some home made Brats there as well......

Will said he was getting a gas stove for the pavilion, so that will help in the cooking of all the stuff that Becca did at home last year.  So hopefully, this year will be MUCH better and efficient.  

And with Pearl Riders help........  We know the meat will be done on time!!

• Like 2

Pearl Rider

John and company,

I have run into a snag being able to make it both weekends. I am working on it real hard but since I am on call every 3 weeks it makes things a

pain in the butt to plan. Luckily this is far enough in advance for me to fix it. Cooking the hog on Friday will be the hard part but not

impossible. in order to have the meat ready for Friday supper it will be put on the cooker at 6:00 am Friday morning and cook low and slow all

day. usually a hog that size I cook for 10 to 12 hours which will be fine. We/ I will get conformation and start planning when and how I am gong to get my cooker, camper, bike, and all other stuff needed for the cooking. I am looking forward to it myself and I hope everyone else is

see ya

Alan

Pearl Rider

Just to give you something to think about and start your mouth to watering about 5 months early. Here is one from my

daughters 21st birthday party (AKA the great 21 puke-fest) ask me about that in person and I will give you the details of a 95 lb girl wanting to drink with her 235 lb dad.

post-5303-0-38399600-1454987364_thumb.jpg

post-5303-0-71341400-1454987367_thumb.jpg

post-5303-0-82012500-1454987370_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

jobe05

We can work out the details Alan, we have time yet.  If you need me to, I can come to Reidsville and pull the smoker to Willville.  Staring the cook shouldn't be an issue either, but I would like to do something ahead of time so we get a feel for the cook time.

Pearl Rider

john after cooking 8 hogs and about 300 boston butts I am not really worried about getting the meat done but if you would feel more comfortable we can work something out. let me see what my schedule is and I will get in touch. The

time difference in cooking butts, shoulders and a whole hog that is the only difference. I always give myself plenty of time to make sure it is done. There is NO NO NO way I will ever put un-done pork on a table for someone to eat.

• Like 1

jobe05

I know what your saying, I have done a lot of smoking in my smokers here at the house, but at Willville for some reason it wasn't the same.  I had the fire box stoked 3 to 4 times heavier than I do here at the house and the heat just wasn;t there.  I can also do propane and that wouldn't even work up there, works fine here at the house.  I don't know what the difference is, I can't imagine there is enough elevation difference to matter......

• Like 1

Pearl Rider

well It is highly possible the elevation can make a difference. We will work it out and make sure everyone has a good time and gets plenty to eat.

Russell lawrence

It seems like you guys got it covered...  Down here in SW Florida,,, we do wild hog...  start the smoker the afternoon before and put the hog in the night before and let them cook overnight and the next day...  watching the water feed in the smoker so the meat will not dry out...  I will be getting there a day early to set up...  let me know if I can help...   I will be going to King Kitchen that night for dinner if anyone is up for it... My favorite place to eat up there plus Dean is a good friend of mine... 

Dusty Boots

I know what your saying, I have done a lot of smoking in my smokers here at the house, but at Willville for some reason it wasn't the same.  I had the fire box stoked 3 to 4 times heavier than I do here at the house and the heat just wasn;t there.  I can also do propane and that wouldn't even work up there, works fine here at the house.  I don't know what the difference is, I can't imagine there is enough elevation difference to matter......

John, there is roughly 1,767' difference in elevation between Willville and King, NC and that does make a difference!

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/high-altitude-cooking-and-food-safety/ct_index

• Like 3

jobe05

Will (Owner of Willville) said he had seen other have issues as well, so the only thing I could think of was elevation.  Last year I put the pork butts in at about 10pm the night before and at 4 the next afternoon, 18 hours later they were still raw on the inside.  I mean, Raw meat raw, not just pink.  Same with the ribs after 6 hours cook time.

As hot as I had the fire, here at home the box would have been over 400 degrees, I could barely get it to 200 up there.  But even at 200, for 18 hours, they should have been cooked.

My electric smoker worked fine........  So different smokers/cookers will work different ways I would guess.  I would think if the bed of charcoal is directly under the meat, it would have better results up there than a fire box.....  We will see.

AZgl1800

All of the plans above for the BBQ are making my mouth water already..... :Party:

Been talking with my ride partner, DaveO430 and I decided that I will ride over a day early and grab a hotel in Jacksonville, AR just north of Littlerock, that way, when he comes rolling through around 8 AM little ole me will still be fresh as a daisy and we can do a pretty good ride half way up there....

That makes the Friday an easy run of about 350 miles or a bit more.... Dave don't like 4 lanes, says we are going to see a lot of greenery :Face-Raspberry:

John/05..... I am guilty of writing up very detailed posts, and then argh!!!! left the page for some reason, and it all got lost. :BigFatCry:

Pearl Rider

ok John now you got me a bit concerned about this, guess I will have to take the cooker up there one day and see how it works. not sure what we can do if it doesn't but we can fiqure it out. I know a man that has a house off of squirrel spur not far from the stores in meadows of dan. HE may possibly be able to help if for some reason my cooker will not work in that elevation.

Russell lawrence

Just a thought on the cooker and air density...  What do you do to a car but put a turbo on it...  more air,,, more power...  How about a small forced air fan to give it more air to work with...  

jobe05

Im guessing with your cooker, you put the coals right under the cooking surface correct?

If thats the case, I think that would make a difference.  My smoker is a tall box with a fire box.  Last year, I had that box as full of red hot coals and wood chunks as I could get in it at one point.  The outside of the fire box was literally a red glow, yet, I could not get it above 200 degrees........  I tried everything, including cracking the door open a little (1/2") just to get the air flowing and moving through the fire box......  Nothing.....  Yet the electric smoker did fine, temp wise and time wise.  I actually though it was going to take longer than it did and ended up over cooking the alligator eggs.

We'll figure it out.....  Any wisdom you can garner from your friend would be really helpful!

Dusty Boots

That makes the Friday an easy run of about 350 miles or a bit more.... Dave don't like 4 lanes, says we are going to see a lot of greenery :Face-Raspberry:

Actually John, putting on 350 on 2 lane roads in that area isn't really 'an easy run' ...  it's closing in on a full day of riding (8+ hrs ride time) if you're camping!   ;)

jobe05

All of the plans above for the BBQ are making my mouth water already..... :Party:

Been talking with my ride partner, DaveO430 and I decided that I will ride over a day early and grab a hotel in Jacksonville, AR just north of Littlerock, that way, when he comes rolling through around 8 AM little ole me will still be fresh as a daisy and we can do a pretty good ride half way up there....

John/05..... I am guilty of writing up very detailed posts, and then argh!!!! left the page for some reason, and it all got lost. :BigFatCry:

I have made that trip many times and always slabbed it.  40 and 81 after Nashville isn't bad at all.  I couldn't imagine taking all back roads through there....  It would be a very pretty ride, but it can slow you down a few days.... 

Dusty Boots

You Slab everywhere, John!

Maybe one of these days you'll discover the unhurried beauty of the back roads

• Like 2

Parman

He learned a little when I toured thru Michigan with him last summer.

jobe05

You Slab everywhere, John!

Maybe one of these days you'll discover the unhurried beauty of the back roads

He learned a little when I toured thru Michigan with him last summer.

I do slab everywhere.......  #1, It's where GPS takes me.......  #2, Im not retired yet!!

I am extremely fortunate to have been able to take the time that I have to do the traveling that I have in the past couple of years.  I wanted to see all I could in as short a period of time as I have.  I have seen some very unfortunate accidents from some who are in a hurry to get from point A to Point B on back roads and it didn't end well for them.  For me, I feel safer on the slab than I do on the back roads where there is more "cross traffic", stops and starts.......

I did really enjoy the ride around the Great Lakes last summer, but those back roads don't compare to the average back road........  Someday I'll travel like that.  I'd prefer to have a passenger on the back seat when I do though.......  Hate seeing the USA without her.

• Like 2

Pearl Rider

John,

my cooker utilizes 4 tobacco barn burners with an auxiliary smoke box I made. I have never had a problem with it and it will sit and run a tank out running between 200 and 250 with no hick-ups. Most of the time it take a tank and a half for a whole hog depending on the weight. Also one

for you to remember as well as me when time gets closed about 200 to 230 lbs is all that will fit on my grate. but that is a lot of meet. also remember No Head, cracked back, and leave the feet on for a handle. those things are a pain trying to get out of a cooler with no handle

Alan

larryinseattle

Lurking..... salivating and day dreaming about the up coming trip.  

How do we keep things even on the food costs?  Accepting contributions? 

AZgl1800

I do slab everywhere.......  #1, It's where GPS takes me.......  #2, Im not retired yet!!

I am extremely fortunate to have been able to take the time that I have to do the traveling that I have in the past couple of years.  I wanted to see all I could in as short a period of time as I have.  I have seen some very unfortunate accidents from some who are in a hurry to get from point A to Point B on back roads and it didn't end well for them.  For me, I feel safer on the slab than I do on the back roads where there is more "cross traffic", stops and starts.......

me too, I never have a passenger, and when running by myself, and needing to get from Atlanta, GA to Oologah, OK......

I started out on the back roads and stayed away from the interstate at first, but a huge storm came in and reduced visibility to almost nothing..... I went back to the Interstates for safety reasons.   just drop back and let the big truck up front block the traffic for me....

and when it cleared off, I can make a lot better time on the slab.

Now when DaveO430 and I head up to the NAGF BBQ, we are planning on avoiding the slab and seeing the side roads.... we have the trip broken into shorter segments to allow us the time to do that.

Parman

Slabs are great for quick point A to point B runs if you are limited on time.  I use the slab to get the hell out of Illinois. If you've ever been thru IL you'll understand but then its always back roads from then on for the most part.