Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 T-Shirt Orders Have CLOSED!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
pwhoever

Just discovered bent frame on my new to me Aspen. Looking for ideas...

46 posts in this topic Last Reply

youngnbald

I was able to find a steel company a couple blocks from home. They mic'd the old tongue and it was 18 ga steel. I decided to go the next thickness up which was 11 ga or 1/8" just for strength. The 5' piece was $15 plus tax. Not bad. I also decided to get a new coupler as well just to be on the safe side. Now I just have to find some time to drill some holes and, get the new tongue installed and test it...

I called for prices in my area.  $28 for a 2x2x1/8" if they have a cut off piece of square tubing.  $36 if they need to cut from a new stick.  Trying to find the time to get there and buy a 5' piece.  You got one heck of a deal on your tubing!!!!

pwhoever

That does seem a little high. They did cut it but not sure if it was off a new piece or not. I was just told it was going to be $15.

Between the new tongue and my shade tree body work, the camper is perfect. Pulled fine and no wagging at all speeds including sustained high speed runs. Im glad I got it worked out. But after talking with Brady, if something changes down the road, the option of a frame replacement turns out to be much more affordable than I thought. It makes getting it straightened at a body shop not even worth it.

Monkeytrucker

I agree on the air pressure.That's about what i run because i noticed the center thread wearing a bit and lowering pressure solved that problem.

Now the HF cargo trailer i built and pulled on a 24 day trip out west,i tried EVERYTHING to try and make those cheap azz tires wear HALFway decent and couldn't.

I have gauges i align my race car with and used those on that trailer to make sure it tracked proper.By the time we got to the house both of those tires were JUNK.

Only got 4700 out of them.I did have it loaded heavy to the max,but i got a pic riding 2up in a long curve with no hands running Eighty Five.It tracks perfectly.

I blame it on JUNK tires because my Aspen tires are still like new.

My HF trailer was eating up tires really fast.  Ate up one in about 500 miles.  So I turned it up on end and used a home made toe in gage.  Used a fixed scribe and made a mark around the tread for a reference.  Then made an X on one spot on the scribed line.  Set the gage points on the X with the X directly forward of the axle.  Then I turned the wheels till the X was directly behind the axle and placed the alignment gage next to the X marks.  Found there was 1/2" of toe in. 

I hooked a chain around the axle outside of both spring hangers and set a small bottle jack in the chain behind the axle and started jacking. I used the homemade alignment gage to measure how much I was bending it.  I kept measuring the toe in as I did slight bends.  Got it to neutral and called it quits.  Pulled the trailer loaded for a couple hundred miles and the spare tire I put on the side that wore quickly looked to be as good as it was when I put it on.  No feathering of the treads like it was doing. 

What I am trying to say is that it is rather easy to align one of those HF axles.  Especially if you have narrowed them.  I think I bent mine hitting a deep pothole.

youngnbald

Too much always going on in my life.  Decided to buy the extended tongue from Brady after all.  The new tongue is 67"!!!!  Looks really long!!!!  My original was 42".  I bought the 24" wire harness adapter also.  I have 4 pin flat wiring so this makes it very easy to extend with the adapter.  No splicing, crimping, etc.  The new tongue has the holes for Brady's kayak add on.  I wonder if the additional 7" comes with this change?  I don't have the trailer completed yet, but curious how it tows different with this length.

Dusty Boots

I found with the increased tongue length (in my case, 18" longer), that there was no wagging and the trailer towed 'smoother', Mark!

youngnbald

I will have a 25" increase.  Should be ok, but wow! much longer.  Will post how much different this is once I get it out there.

Monkeytrucker

You will really like the way it tows.  As Dusty said "no wagging".  In fact you will find yourself wagging the bike a little just to see if it is still attached and not just a photo on your mirrors.  We have found that in the rain it does not try to push you around like our short cargo trailer does.

Dusty Boots

. Im glad I got it worked out. But after talking with Brady, if something changes down the road, the option of a frame replacement turns out to be much more affordable than I thought. It makes getting it straightened at a body shop not even worth it.

Mike, can you PM me the price Brady quoted you for a replacement frame, Please?

I have a friend that is thinking about a Classic that was involved in a crash and it might need a new frame  -  Thanks

Dusty

AZgl1800

A wagging trailer nearly always indicates the tongue is too short.

This assumes the proper hitch weight loading.

My HF framed trailer wants to tail wag at 70-75 mph and it has the stock length tongue length.

I am going to lengthen it out a bit and take care of that problem.

I think 32 psi is too much for these little trailers, and it made mine bounce badly.

I dropped it to 20 psi and that made a world of difference.  The tire still stands up so much, that only the center tread is on the concrete, and that is with it loaded.

The picture below was taken in Dawsonville, GA in my son's driveway.

It rained nearly all day while I was heading back towards home.

Had to stop a couple of times to let the heavier showers pass me by.

post-30-0-50990300-1448186222_thumb.jpg

pwhoever

I finally got around to having the Aspen shop take a look at the frame. There was indeed frame damage. Besides the obvious tweaked front part, after the fiberglass she'll was pulled off, there was an obvious bend on side rail by left wheel along with the axle being bent on the left side. I ended up with a brand new frame and a new axle. I originally had electric brakes but opted for a standard axle because there was a $150 difference and I had yet to install a brake controller anyways. Im sure electric brakes have a purpose but since I drive a trike, the standard axle just made more sense. I also opted to stay with a standard length tongue. I did keep my extended tongue just in case I felt the need to switch it. The longer tongue did help out with my previous setup but I figured with a new frame and axle it was worth trying. It pulled great. I towed it about 120 miles through towns and down the highway. It tracked nice and straight in all different conditions. No wagging at all. I should have done this sooner...

• Like 5

AZgl1800

I have been known to say "should have done this sooner",

especially after I got the cataract lenses replaced in both eyes.

• Like 1

brianinpa

After reading through this thread, I was reminded that I needed a jack stand for my trailer.  Perfect timing!

beenshot

Glad to hear that you have fixed it, Mike.

I have never used my electric brakes either but I have had a couple of instances that I wished I had installed a controller. It will shove a trike pretty good in an emergency stop.

Galaxyhunter

Glad to hear that you have fixed it, Mike.

I have never used my electric brakes either but I have had a couple of instances that I wished I had installed a controller. It will shove a trike pretty good in an emergency stop.

Far better to have brakes & never (really) need them -  then it is  to need them & not have them. 

• Like 2

jobe05

I agree 100% Carl.  I added them to mine and wish I had done it when I first got the trailer.  . 

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

I wouldn't want to be without them!

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

This a good reminder that I need to change out my controller.  It got water in it mounted in a plastic box on the tongue.  Weather cracked the box lid and we did not notice that all winter.  The long tongue sticks out from under the porch of the dog house camper storage.  Have another controller.

The camper is set up for this weekend.  Going to be used as an extra bed room for our norther kid and his family coming down from Carl's area so the Granddaughter can get her wedding dress.  Hopefully Estella and I will find a couple of days when the weather is nice to go camping.  Maybe at Lake Shelbyville, IL wherer the Army Corps of Engineers only charge $9 a night for us old codgers who have a senior pass,

beenshot

Carl, I don't guess that I really ever needed them. I did stop safely but it did push enough for me to realize that brakes would probably be a good idea.

Bad thing is that my camper has brakes, I am just either too cheap or too lazy to hook up a controller...LOL

Maybe you could buy a controller and install it at NASR for me ole buddy!!!!!!!!!!

pwhoever

You guys are starting to make me second guess my decision on going with the new standard axles. But $150 savings is $150 that I didnt have to spend. And like I mentioned, I never used the old electric brake axles so far. I'm sure it is a great safety feature but couldn't justify the extra cost at this time. I know that it could always be switched back later. Nice thing is the Aspen manufacturing shop is just a short trip away...

jobe05

Mike, I ordered the brake assembly which came with new spindles and bearings for $150 and installed them myself in about an hour.  Really simple job.

Point being, you can add them anytime very easily.

Monkeytrucker

Mike,  Keep your electric axle.  The electric brake assemblies will probably will mount right on the old axle.  They are Dexter axles and I think the spindles will have flanges for the electric brake backing plates.  To cast spindles without the flanges would seem to be more expensive  than having one casting for all.  Besides, you might find some guy who can straighten the axle and use it to build a small utility trailer for use around town.