Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
thecruiser

Brakes on a Mini-Mate?

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

thecruiser

Has anyone put brakes on a Mini-Mate trailer?

If you or anyone has, I'd like to know how you did it and where you got the parts.

post-254-0-71084300-1441534243_thumb.jpg

thecruiser

I possibly found a place in Florida. Will give them a shout by phone today. 

Perhaps I can pick up parts while there this winter.

Dusty Boots

You could always enquire about that with Dale at OpenRoadOutfitters

thecruiser

Thanks Ken. I already have an email out to Dale. He hasn't had time to respond yet.

jobe05

I have been looking at them for mine.  Mine is 12" with 5 lug, and am looking at something like this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-Brakes-to-Your-Trailer-Complete-Kit-3500-Axle-5-x-4-5-Axel-Electric-/291346390852?hash=item43d5991f44&vxp=mtr

This is not the exact kit I was looking at, just found a kit for reference.

Monkeytrucker

With well over 11,000 miles on our Aspen Classic I am an enthusiastic believer in electric brakes.

• Like 1

thecruiser

With well over 11,000 miles on our Aspen Classic I am an enthusiastic believer in electric brakes.

I'd like to get brakes on the MM. It weights 320lbs, not yet packed. I'm sure wet it's around 500lbs.

Haven't found parts yet. Most brake parts are for heaver trailers with larger wheels/axles.

thecruiser

Man, It's really hard finding info on trailer brakes. Parts are available from several places. I think for the brake drums, I have to get new hubs. So far I see nothing about how the brake backing plate with the brake shoes attach to the axle.

Galaxyhunter

Larry,  You might be farther ahead if you find a complete axle unit to bolt up to your trailer.  Like most things, you will probably spend way more on your project if you buy each individual part separate then you would if you bought a completed unit.  You might try calling Trailmasters to see what an axle would cost you. :confused-face-smiley-emoticon: 

thecruiser

Carl,

I did send off an email to them. I doubt that they would have anything though, we'll see.

I think the major problem is the 'lightweight' axle plus the fact that it a torsion suspension.

I'll attach a pic,.. as you can see mt Mini-Mate frame has been 'modified'.

post-254-0-39515600-1442148987_thumb.jpg

Monkeytrucker

I have pondered why one cannot make a simple electromagnetic retarder for small trailers. All one would need is an aluminum disk bolted to the wheel hub and a couple of electromagnets mounted to the axle on both sides of the disk. Passenger trains use that style brakes and trucks use that style as retarders. The electromagnets would create eddy currents in the aluminum disk causing braking. Simple non-touching, frictionless design that should last for years.

thecruiser

The businesses mentioned in the posts in this thread weren't any help. I don't think there is a 'ready-made' brake system setup for a Mini-Mate axle.

Looks like I'll have to buy the brake backing plate, drum/hub from someplace like etrailer and find a fabricator that can help.

I don't think getting a whole new axle with brakes is practical in this case because I'd have to re-modify the frame I built for it.

jobe05

I don't know about the mini mate, but all the ones that I have looked at have the 4 bolt backing plate which bolts in with the axle mount backing plate you have now. An 8 inch or 12 inch wheel, based on my research for my 12" wheeles, would take a 7 1/2 inch braking set up (I believe that reflects the break drum size), like the ones posted in my link above. They may be to large for the 8" tires, I haven't research that, but I do still have those 12" rims available if you still wish to store them for me till you use them.....

• Like 1

thecruiser

I don't know about the mini mate, but all the ones that I have looked at have the 4 bolt backing plate which bolts in with the axle mount backing plate you have now. An 8 inch or 12 inch wheel, based on my research for my 12" wheeles, would take a 7 1/2 inch braking set up (I believe that reflects the break drum size), like the ones posted in my link above. They may be to large for the 8" tires, I haven't research that, but I do still have those 12" rims available if you still wish to store them for me till you use them.....

John,

The Mini-Mate has a torsion suspension with no where to mount the 4-bolt backing plate. I'm not sure yet what parts will fit together to give me brakes on the MM. You are correct the brake drum and shoe size is 7-1/2"X 1-1/2", I believe it was. What was holding me up was that I saw no way to bolt the backing plate on. I'll attach a pic or two of the MM with the wheel off and the torsion arm visible. I was told a lot of things from having to weld something to attach the backing plate to,... to cutting the spindles off and shorting them,... to putting a while new axle.    I have put a frame under the MM so I could add the trailer tongue box and cooler in the rear. Changing the axle would cause some re-engineering that stuff. 

If I could incorporate the 12"wheels, I'd like to do that too. Don't think I'll be able to complete the project this year. I'll probably collect the parts over the winter and make it my Spring project before my first trip next year. I'd be glad to buy the wheels from you. If I remember right they are 4X4 bolt pattern, right? Maybe I could pick up the wheels at Clinton SP?

Larry

post-254-0-94826500-1443053795_thumb.jpgpost-254-0-68592200-1443053808_thumb.jpgpost-254-0-52681800-1443053833_thumb.jpgpost-254-0-71637300-1443053909_thumb.jpg

DougW

Those spindles have no backing plate like most axels.  I suspect you are going to need different spindles or get add on backing plates of some sort.

Were it me, I would take it to a local trailer/Camper dealer and have their people look at it.  They may know of a way to add brakes to that.

thecruiser

Those spindles have no backing plate like most axels.  I suspect you are going to need different spindles or get add on backing plates of some sort.

Were it me, I would take it to a local trailer/Camper dealer and have their people look at it.  They may know of a way to add brakes to that.

Not sure what it's like where you are, Doug but around here the dealers have a hard time putting a nut on a bolt. I've heard that some torsion suspensions can come with electric brakes but I haven't seen any yet. The brake parts I've seen, like on 'etrailer', have four holes in the backing plate to line up with four holes in the piece that it welded to a round axle.

I'll have to look up a new trailer with torsion suspension and brakes and see how they do it. 

jobe05

I wonder if you could modify this to work Larry?  I would think a little welding something up to hold the caliper is all that would need to be done.....  I believe EZ Go golf carts are cable operated brakes, not sure what would need to be done to convert to electric actuated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Z-Go-TXT-Electric-Rear-Caliper-Brake-Kit-Rear-Disc-Brake-Kit-Free-Shipping-/261395778201?hash=item3cdc670a99

thecruiser

John,

Putting brakes on the mini-Mate has been put on the back burner for now.

I'm having a hard enough time getting the bike ready for the Clinton St Pk Ride-in.

thecruiser

John, do you have a Garmin like Halfling's?  (2797)

If so, where do I find the Product Code to unlock the maps?

jobe05

I don't have the Garmin.....  I keep it simple with a 6" TomTom............  Simple is as simple does.....

• Like 1

hidepounder

I have been reading this thread as I am interested in putting brakes on my bunkhouse, as I see it I can get the new axle from Croft Trailer here in the KC area. The other problem is where to mount and hook up the brake controller on my 1800 Goldwing. I would like some information from those who have done so and any tips, suggestions and do's and don'ts .

Thanks

Randy

hidepounder

Where did you mount your brake controller on the bike? any tips

DougW

When I had a trailer with brakes the controller was in the trailer. Once it was correctly set it worked fine. I know this removed the ability to manually apply the trailer brakes in an emergency but if you are on a motorcycle in an emergency you are going to have both hands on the handle bars controlling the clutch and front brake so not having access to the trailer brake controller is not an issue.

Mounting it in the trailer made wiring easier also as I had a 12 volt line already connected for the trailer through an ignition activated relay. There was also a small battery in the trailer as we used a 12 volt cooler instead of an ice chest most of the time.

Using the newer Tekonsha controller that is inertia activated and that does not matter what angle it is mounted makes installing a controller easy. With one of those you could mount it anywhere on the bike or trailer.

newday777

Randy

As to where to attach your brake controller, I made a bracket to mount it above my cb control panel to be in easy reach to adjust if needed. It has worked out fine. Just have to put a ziploc baggie over it in rain held on with rubber bands.

post-1337-0-43500300-1499226142_thumb.jpg

post-1337-0-30777400-1499226171_thumb.jpg

post-1337-0-52109100-1499226212_thumb.jpg

post-1337-0-32309700-1499226250_thumb.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,