Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
jobe05

Lighting control for camper.

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

I have read post on here and many places about wiring up campers.  I am mainly concerned with 2 things electrically, Lighting and phone charging capability.  However with lighting, I didn't want to have to plug in each light, or have to put up a bunch of lights, take them down and pack them away.  Stationary or fixed lighting would be my goal.  But then switching the lighting on and off...... ?  How?

I have a 12v battery that I took out of the 1800.  It's still a good battery with some life left, just thought I would replace it on the bike as Im not sure of it's age.  Anyway.....  I have been pondering the lights.....  So I ordered a 4 channel transmitter with remote to control 4 different lighting zones.  I will add a LED strip across the 2 cross bars, and 2 smaller strips on the slanted front bar, then 2 small strips on the head board bar, for reading or whatever at night.  All these LED strips will be covered with clear Heat shrink around the poles, so they will stay in place.  The wiring will be put through the poles so it will be hidden and safe from nicks or kinks when getting folding the tent up.  All the electrical connections will be in the basement storage area, which will just be the battery and the controller, maybe a small charger for the battery.  However I suspect the battery would last me a few days with just the lights and phone charging use.

I just got the transmitter in the mail and hooked it up on the bench as a trail.

I got 2 transmitter, 2 remotes for $19 off EBay from china......  I have no idea how long they will last, but their pretty simple in design, and I have a back up if one goes out.  I have the heat shrink and LED's on order, so when it all comes in, I will install it in the camper.

Heres a video of how it works.

https://youtu.be/UFTJiJIh5Fo

• Like 1

youngnbald

Hope you have things working by October.  Lots of upgrades done by many people in our group.  We all took some different approaches to achieve some goal.  I would love see what you came out with and what others have done or learned from.  Every time I camp, I always consider if my efforts could be simplified or am I maximized in what I need to achieve quick, easy camping results.  I love seeing others set ups and what they were trying to make better.  Behind a motorcycle, weight is my first concern.  Time to set up is another high priority.  I came up with a few systems for packing, storage, cooking, etc..  It becomes more enjoyable every time I pull out the camper for a trip. 

Good luck with your project!

Monkeytrucker

It is not the destination it is the getting there. That goes with all of the mods being made.

Monkeytrucker

We did some thinking about our electrical requirements on our trip west. We realized that 90% of our stuff plugged into USB ports. So we had a ton of wall warts to deal with. Only things on 110 was our cpap machines and the A/C or heater. I ordered 4 12v 2 amp to USB units that have solder lugs on the back, not power port type plug in. When they get here I am going to the trailer 12v system. Probably will put a small battery charger I can plug in to the Anderson Power Pole connector on either side. As long as we pull the trailer each day the charger would not be needed.

We think we will identify each USB cord with tags and bundle them into 2 bundles that will be easy to plug every thing for charging.