Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Parman

Lake Michigan Circle Tour

70 posts in this topic Last Reply

Parman

Next Wednesday I will have the oportunity to once again spend a few days camping and enjoying all the beauty of the Great Lake State. Planning on meeting Jobe05 on Mt. Morris MI and taking him on a tour of some of areas of Michigan. We will be on the road for 6 days most of which will be in the UP.

I plan on taking him along the Lake Huron Shoreline up US-23 to Mackinaw City and setting up camp in Tee Pee Campground for 2 nights to begin the tour.

Thursday we will go over to the Tunnel of Trees down to Traverse City and Sleeping Bears Sand Dunes back up thru Gaylord to the campground

Friday its up across the bridge to Soo Locks, Whitefish Point, and Tahquamenon Falls for the day.

Saturday, Sunday we will hit Munising, Marquette, Copper Harbor, Lake in the Clouds, and Black River Byway to see several of the water falls in Black River.

Monday it will be south down thru Wisconsin back towards home.

Looking forward to spending time back up in Michigan in my old stomping grounds.

• Like 1

Halfling

You going to pull your Aspen too Don?

Parman

Yes sir.

Halfling

We are going to need to see some pictures! I especially like the campsite ones and with two Aspens that should make some nice pics!

Parman

No problem.  We will get several pictures on the trip and share them with the forum.

jobe05

I am so looking forward to the trip around the Great Lakes and get in all the sights, sounds and flavors of a beautiful area that I have always wanted to travel.

I'll be leaving Syracuse today to head over to the beach on the eastern shores of Onieda lake for a few days. I'll be back here to spend the night on Sunday, the heading out to kens ( dusty boots) house till Wednesday morning, then heading to Michigan to meet up with Don.

Halfling

Hey John, let me know what your trip looks like during the last week of July...25th through say August 2nd.

Dusty Boots

Don, I don't know what campgrounds you plan to stay at while in MI, but I have written a few Campground reviews on some of the ones I have stayed at while riding through MI.that might be helpful. 

Looking forward to your visit, John!   :thumbs-up:

jobe05

I'm looking forward to it also Dusty!!!!

jobe05

John. I'll be leaving Dons house early Tuesday morning and will be taking whatever route my GPS takes me as I'm hoping to make the trek in one day I need to be home by Thursday at the latest, preferably Wednesday. What did you have in mind?

Parman

Ken my plan is to 2 nights at the Tee Pee Campground just east of mackinaw City of US23. I have 2 nights reserved and have paid for 1. So if we don't like it we can leave. I like that spot because day 1 we can tour the NW part of LP (Tunnel of Trees, Traverse City and Sleeping bear Sand Dunes). day 2 we will hit Soo Locks, Whitfish Point and Tahquemenon Falls.

Day 3 break camp and head to NW part of UP along Lake Superior up to Copper Harbor. Plan to stay in McLain SP outside of Hancock or Fort Wilkins SP up in Copper Harbor.

Al subject to change based on what we decide to do each day.

Halfling

John. I'll be leaving Dons house early Tuesday morning and will be taking whatever route my GPS takes me as I'm hoping to make the trek in one day I need to be home by Thursday at the latest, preferably Wednesday. What did you have in mind?

Hmmm...was thinking maybe we could meet at a campground for Tuesday night and then ride a bit together on Wednesday maybe. Just thinking out loud at this point and exploring opportunities.

Parman

John I have an idea that might work for the two of you. I stayed at General Burnside SP in SE KY earlier this year. Nice SP and easy access to anything you might need in Sumerset KY. Its about 8 hrs from my house. If you leave when I leave for work you can easily make it there by mid afternoon or early evening.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/1916+Golf+Rd,+Rolling+Meadows,+IL+60008/General+Burnside+State+Park,+8801+North+US+Highway+27,+Burnside,+KY+42519/King,+NC/@38.9970597,-86.5599976,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x880fb0052ea15ad5:0xc746e2e1ca67fc61!2m2!1d-88.0032166!2d42.0513382!1m5!1m1!1s0x885d3876a221fb11:0xfb8d4be59056aa0a!2m2!1d-84.6034271!2d36.9739939!1m5!1m1!1s0x88524c35769a10ff:0xe589ed05664c1abd!2m2!1d-80.3592197!2d36.2806939!3e0

Picture of my campsite and I believe it was 19 or 20 for the night.

post-5-0-80221000-1437155403_thumb.jpg

Halfling

Holly Bay Campground is only about 30 miles further on and the ride through there is awesome! Came that way on the way to the M&G in May.

Holly Bay CG.png

Parman

I like the ride down 27 from Lexington to Knoxville. Very scenic. Love the Horse Farms just south of Lexington.

Yes that is nice all over in that area. I actually have an aunt and cousins that live in Somerset KY. I went down there a lot as a kid.

Dusty Boots

Yup  ...  27 is a purdy ride down, especially through the DBNF!    :thumbs-up:

jobe05

Hmmm...was thinking maybe we could meet at a campground for Tuesday night and then ride a bit together on Wednesday maybe. Just thinking out loud at this point and exploring opportunities.

I'd bet we could make something like that work john

I have to be home on Thursday, mid to late afternoon (which means early evening), but we could get some good ol Kentucky riding in!! You pick the time and the place and I'll be there!!

Galaxyhunter

Ken my plan is to 2 nights at the Tee Pee Campground just east of mackinaw City of US23. I have 2 nights reserved and have paid for 1. So if we don't like it we can leave. I like that spot because day 1 we can tour the NW part of LP (Tunnel of Trees, Traverse City and Sleeping bear Sand Dunes). day 2 we will hit Soo Locks, Whitfish Point and Tahquemenon Falls.

Day 3 break camp and head to NW part of UP along Lake Superior up to Copper Harbor. Plan to stay in McLain SP outside of Hancock or Fort Wilkins SP up in Copper Harbor.

Al subject to change based on what we decide to do each day.

After Nassir 6, I went back through Mi on my way to Hayward, Wi.  I stayed at TeePee campground for a night.  It was a nice campground, a little tight on space but nice and I would have no problem staying there again  http://hawkeye-observatory.com/GW/Camp.JPG

If it is warm enough, you can walk to the beach ( rocky) & go for a swim. http://hawkeye-observatory.com/GW/Bridge.jpg

From there I went up to White Fish Point. http://hawkeye-observatory.com/GW/LightHouse.JPG  Make sure you climb the Light house.  & I made a visit to the falls. http://hawkeye-observatory.com/GW/Falls.JPG

yooperfan

You guys missed me by a week.  I'm jealous.  I start vacation on the following wednesday, the 29th.  I stay at the Country Village campground in Ishpeming for a week at a time, twice per summer, when I take my atv vacations.  The pool and hot tub come in handy after a long ride.  You could park you're campers there for a couple of days and make day trip rides from there.  The local food, such as a pasty, cudighi, and of course potato sausage, is easy to find nearby.  The road to Big Bay is a nice little ride.  Ishpeming and Big Bay, and a few other locations in the area, were the settings for the old movie, Anatomy of a Murder.  You can find newspaper articles at some restaurants and bars.  I wish I was joining you, since you're going to my home away from home.

thecruiser

Don & John,

Grand Rapids might be out of your way but if you find yourself nearby, your welcome to shack up here for an overnight if you want.

I have plenty of room for campers with an electrical service in the camping area. Also a spare bedroom if needed.

Larry (thecruiser)

5fbd3705-7241-41aa-8a82-8e4102adc2e8_zps

jobe05

Back at my daughters house in Syracuse NY. Had a great time with some of my high school class mates, most of which I haven't seen in almost 40 years. Thanks to Face Book however, seeing them was just like no time has past at all. Staying here for the night and heading out first thing in the morning for Dusty Boots house!!!!

• Like 2

Dusty Boots

Staying here for the night and heading out first thing in the morning for Dusty Boots house!!!!

Which route are you taking once you cross the Border?

jobe05

Crossing at Peace Bridge, whatever rout that is that hugs the lake. Been on the highway to the north of that one, when you cross at the falls, I know I don't want to go that route, traffic nightmare! And that was 30 years ago.....

jobe05

Not sure what my coverage will be in Canada, so this might be my last post for a couple days. Getting ready to enter buffalo NY and cross the border, with a couple more stops I should be at Kens hous at 3 ish.

Dusty Boots

Jeez John  ....   when you gonna learn to keep off the Interstates!!!!    :sad-face:

I ain't goin nowhere!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,