Sign in to follow this  
youngnbald

Tongue weight

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

youngnbald

If I recall, the recommended tongue weight is to be less than 25 lbs?????  I just bought a 120 quart cooler and it weights 19.5 lbs. dry.  I see other people with larger coolers and even a home built rack to support it.  What tongue weight is others running with?  Would an extended tongue make much difference?  I have the ac and most things packed to the rear of the trailer to take tongue weight off, but you can only do so much.

post-4776-0-16556700-1437056007_thumb.jpg

jobe05

I'll be honest, I don't really weigh mine, I just like it heavy, heavier than the mid balance point, and I'm glad I do that! When I left home last saterday heading to Ohio, a little under 500 mile trip, I noticed pulling out of my driveway that the trailer wasn't pulling right. I stopped a couple blocks away and got 20 pounds of ice for it and it towed better for a little while. I leave the bottom drain open on mine so I'm not carrying a bunch of water with me. As the day went on, the worse the handeling got. I honestly thought the rear tire was coming lose

When I got to my destination, I disconnected the trailer, put the bike up on the centr stand and went through it, everything seemed fine and tight. I went to the trailer next. Ken had an extra 1 7/8 ball, and with the trailer hitch in the latched position, I was able to slide the ball right in....... After inspecting it, I found the 1/2-20 adjustment nut lose and in pretty bade shape so I went and bought 2 nuts, a neoprene washer one, like the one that was on it and a locking one. I installed the locking one because I felt it grabbed and held better. Handles great now. But I feel if it wasn't for the added tongue weight, it would have been much more disastrous, specially on the horrible Ohio roads doing 75 to 80 MPH.

I highly recommend, if your trailer is a couple years old that you replace the $0.63 nut.

DougW

Recommended tongue is minimum of 10% of total trailer weight.  A longer tongue will help with the weight distribution it will put less weight on the coupler end.  This is needed to keep the trailer from swaying when you are going down the road. 

The amount of weight you can put on the tongue is limited by the strength of your hitch, and how close your Bike already is to being at it's maximum weight, for example a passenger on the seat will mean the bike is already pretty well loaded so too much tongue weight may cause problems with the bike's suspension.

Dusty Boots

You don't want to have too light a tongue weight or you will have handling problems!  

When I 1st got my Sentry, with a tongue weight of 36 lbs and on my way home, I experienced some serious wagging when in close behind a 18 wheeler and it is no fun!   :o

Even with approx 65 lbs tongue weight (after adding a case of water and moving my heavy items forward), I would still occasionally get wagging around 18 wheelers. I sure didn't want to go any heavier than that!!!

Now, I like to keep mine at around the 34 lb mark, but I also lengthened my tongue by 18" and I find it handles much better than the standard length one!    :thumbs-up:

Stock tongue  ...

15090767826_c68a108298_c.jpg

stock and new tongue  ...

15350497197_b7f04d71e9_c.jpg

new tongue installed  ....

15425443170_57f6790a8a_c.jpg

Galaxyhunter

Something to keep in mind,  The more tongue weight you have (up to a point), the more stable the rig is, BUT - The more tongue weight you have, the less weight you have on your front tire.  Now in normal conditions that is not a problem,  but if the road is wet, LOOK out. The last thing you want is to be traveling along in the rain & have a car (or animal) come out in front of you & you have to make a panic stop.  It's bad enough to do that with a trailer, but now add wet conditions & that's a recipe for a bad day. :Face-Crying:

Parman

Great point Carl.

youngnbald

Returned from the trip and trailer handled well.  At first, I had a very light feeling front end.  The bike was easily shaken on the interstate.  We pulled over and adjusted the preload on the suspension.  Worlds of difference going from 4 to 15!  Had no issues the rest of the trip.  I recently installed the Progressive springs front and rear.  The rear spring made such a difference.  Didn't think the preload would help handling so much, but it was a simple fix!  Looking into what is packed verses what is used.  Little by little this is getting more dialed in.  Thanks for the responses!

Monkeytrucker

We have the optional long tongue. I put a 52 ah power chair battery in the very back of the trailer and found the front weight was hard to keep. So with the cooler on the front, the A/C in the front basement and other stuff fairly distributed I end up with a tongue weight of ??. Actually it is a relatively easy lift for me and enough to make the Bride complain. As for trailing. We have found no problem. Just west of Wendover, NV we hit a couple 5 minute rains heavy enough to wet the road well and make the windscreen messy. I let a car pass us so I could watch him if he had any curves happening. Looked down and we were doing 80 mph. Was more scary at the idea of that fast in rain rather than the actual feel. That Dark Side rain tire is fantastic in the wet. We also have electric brakes on the trailer. I found in the hills and etc. if I lightly applied the front brake which sent a brake signal to the controller I could feel the brakes on the trailer apply just enough to balance stopping. That is with the controller set at the lowest setting on it.

We put a new E3 tire on the front before we left. Has balance beads in it and after 7k miles it still looks low miles.