Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

perils of country living

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Decided to wash the Aspen camper today in prep for out trip. Found that even no faster that 15-20 mph on country roads the gel coat is not thick enough to stop small pebbles from penetrating.

Have the two holes next to each other on the front and one on the left side. No time to body work them now but I did fill them with Permatex Ultra to seal them. The rocks did not penetrate the chopped fiberglass on the interior.

When we get back from our trip I am going to wrap some protective aluminum around the lower tubs on the front and sides to deflect incoming missiles. Just a learning curve on things needing to be done to the camper.

In case anyone wonders, we would buy another one in heart beat. We love ours.

Dusty Boots

With mine being black, I coated the front of it with some spray on truck bed liner to protect the Gel Coat!    :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Halfling

Mine's white and being that it's a 2006 it has a LOT of damage to the unprotected front and lower front. Was actually thinking about getting a paint job. Maybe next winter....

Junctionbox02.jpeg

Monkeytrucker

With mine being black, I coated the front of it with some spray on truck bed liner to protect the Gel Coat!    :thumbs-up:

That is a great idea. One can get white bed liner spray. But then maybe a black underbelly might not look that bad. Would be a lot easier than making a wrap around aluminum guard.

Thanks for the idea. As usual Ken, you have great ideas we all can steal. Just do not send any Mounties after us....

Dusty Boots

Thanks for the idea. As usual Ken, you have great ideas we all can steal. Just do not send any Mounties after us....

No worries, Gary!   :D

That's what the Internet and Forums are for  -  the sharing of ideas!    ;)

Monkeytrucker

Ken, it is more fun to say "I swiped the idea from Dusty."

We are getting ready to head out Monday for our trip west. Estella is going to make some calls to her Presbyterian church places along the way to see if we can just set up for the night behind their church buildings and borrow a little 110 AC current. She is an Elder (in office and age) in her church and she is thinking about taking pictures and writing a story about 2 old people and a motorcycle camping from one church to another. Kind of a modern day Gandhi thing except our bowl is a wing and an Aspen. Might make for a savings. Heck, she might become a traveling author. Have Chrome Book will travel.

Our Friend out in Montana has mapped a whole tour for us. Tetons, devils tower, jellystone, the 4 faces and the rock indian, Bear tooth and Chief Joseph, the Crow Indian reservation where Estella's mother was born, and who knows what else. He has even scheduled a time, weather permitting, to get to fly his airplane. The funny thing is that our Goldwing will be higher in altitude on Bear tooth than we will get in the airplane. Then to visit a relative of hers in Idaho and then onto the PCH, the big (not) gold bridge and from there who knows.

We got a new E3 on the front of the wing today and had the Honda tech give it a learned look over. Have a few little things that need to be done on the Aspen. Hopefully the 23 T Bucket will go on the trailer Saturday and some coin of the realm left in its place. I think the old girl is going to miss it. She is known to fire it up and make some very loud noises. Old girl has never gotten the hot rodding bug gone yet.

• Like 1

Parman

Wow Gary!

You and the wife have a heck of a trip coming up. Are you planning on hitting Glacier NP while your out there? That is on adenda for Daniel and I next year.  My son and I will be making a trip out west to see almost all of the same things except PCH. We only have two weeks so thats a bit far to try and take in with everything else we want to see.

Check your fuel gage often. Some of the places out there are far between stops and we all know what happen in Virginia this spring.

You guys have a safe trip and post lots of pictures along the way so we can keep track of you.