Sign in to follow this  
jobe05

Window Awning......

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

With the new canvas I got, it has the awning over the window on the end of the bed.  I bought some 3/8" OD white Polypropylene "hose".....  Kinda looks like the water line running to a fridg, but thicker.  However it won't stand up!  It just flops back down when I install it.  Is it not the right stuff?  It looked like the stuff I have seen others using, but apparently not.

What is it that is used and where can I can it locally?  Or is it something special that can only be gotten through Trailmaster.

Galaxyhunter

It is roughly 3/16 solid flexible  plastic.  If you want the right rod, then I would get it from Trailmaster.   This Spring, I bought the awning kit for the side windows,  It uses the same rods.

jobe05

Thanks Carl.....  I'll have to order some then.  I have the new 12x12 awning on the open side of the camper, might order the window awning for the tongue side also......  Unless I get another tarp for that side, which would help keep the stuff I have on the tongue dry and the sun off the cooler.......  Thats generally where I throw the camper cover and the cover to the fold up chairs while camping.

jobe05

Thanks Mark!!  Ordered from MSC, I got 2 of the 8' pieces......  Shipping was twice as much as the items were......

youngnbald

What part number did you go with.  It would be great to document this for any of us to find it with ease.  There was many materials to chose from and bendable caught my eye!  Actually, you went with MSC.  Curious what you found there.

jobe05

I went with this one: 

3/16" DIA X 8 FOOT NATURAL 6/6 NYLON ROD

$5.82

Not sure it's what Im gonna want, but thats what Im getting.

jobe05

Yea, I have seen that Mod, but have a couple of problems with it.....  The connector he has from the orange pole to the white is something not everyone would have readily available to them (I don't)...  It only opens the awning a couple of inches and the awning is flat across instead of curved up to shed water better.

I ordered the Plastic Rod to see if it would work, but honestly, most camping trips that I would be on with this thing, that awning will be closed all the time anyways.  There is an inside zippered solid flap that covers the screen window that I usually have zipped up.  One time in two years have I ever unzipped the inside flap to get fresh air in, so it's use is really unimportant to me, except to keep rain out, which it can do closed.  If I want it open, it does roll up and tie back, which so far, with this new canvas (1 camping trip), thats what I did.  Having 1 rod that will hold the awning open is OK, but if I had to store and install a bunch of pieces, I'd probably not want to use the awning at all. 

Just my take on it.

Dusty Boots

With an 8' rod to unravel and pack up every time you want to use them, I don't blame you for not using them.

I cut down a fiberglass driveway marker pole to thread through the flap and added a couple of connectors

I have mine set up every time I use them and it provides additional ventilation by your head.

Should have a store around that sells underground irrigation fittings.

With the rods fitting fairly snuggle in the vinyl tubing under the bed board, it makes the awning height adjustable by sliding the rods one way, or the other.

When not in use, the poles store flat in my side storage trays, kept together with a couple of Velcro zip ties, making for a compact package.

The orange flat bungee straps is where I store the camper cover when set up.

14845762748_53d53429ac_c.jpg

14845638159_830a5fe263_c.jpg

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

What about some of those flexible but strong rods that are designed to drill holes in floors by access thru a switch opening up on the wall?

Chimney sweep rods?

jobe05

I got the rods in this morning My expectation for the 8 foot rod was to cut it down to fit. But with the attachment under the bed board, it took the full 8 foot rod to lift the awning up. I'm not going to carry 8 foot of this stuff just for an awning that I can roll up

Galaxyhunter

I carry mine in the zippered pocket of the cover.

Dusty Boots

I got the rods in this morning My expectation for the 8 foot rod was to cut it down to fit. But with the attachment under the bed board, it took the full 8 foot rod to lift the awning up. I'm not going to carry 8 foot of this stuff just for an awning that I can roll up

With an 8' rod to unravel and pack up every time you want to use them, I don't blame you for not using them.

I cut down a fiberglass driveway marker pole to thread through the flap and added a couple of connectors

I have mine set up every time I use them and it provides additional ventilation by your head.

Should have a store around that sells underground irrigation fittings.

With the rods fitting fairly snuggle in the vinyl tubing under the bed board, it makes the awning height adjustable by sliding the rods one way, or the other.

When not in use, the poles store flat in my side storage trays, kept together with a couple of Velcro zip ties, making for a compact package.

Mine are maybe 4' long and store lengthwise inside the storage area and kept neatly bundled up using a pair of  With an 8' rod to unravel and pack up every time you want to use them, I don't blame you for not using them. I cut down a fiberglass driveway marker pole to thread through the flap and added a couple of connectors I have mine set up every time I use them and it provides additional ventilation by your head. Should have a store around that sells underground irrigation fittings. With the rods fitting fairly snuggle in the vinyl tubing under the bed board, it makes the awning height adjustable by sliding the rods one way, or the other. When not in use, the poles store flat in my side storage trays, kept together with a couple of Velcro zip ties, making for a compact package.

">Velcro cable ties

Sheds water perfectly (you can lower it all, or either side) and doesn't look like a dorky 'Bonnet' when set up!   ;)

14845638259_fe422a019b_c.jpg