Sign in to follow this  
Halfling

Tongue Jack Installation/Utilization

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Well, apparently I'm going against the grain on this one.

Let me share with you something my dad taught me a long time ago about leveling our family camper (we had a HEAVY 20 footer tag along). IF you do not want to do any lifting then these are the steps he taught me to follow.

First and foremost, the trailer tongue should have a tongue jack on it and you start there....

1. Raise the tongue with the tongue jack to get the unit off the hitch
  2. Once off, lower the tongue far enough to get the rear stabilizers down
  3. Drop the rear jack stands (yes, drop the rear jacks first regardless of what the directions for the Aspen say!)
  4. Raise the tongue high enough to get the front jack stands down
  5. Level as needed
  6. The more you do this the better you get at knowing what level to drop the rear jack stands to in step 3

It works EVERY TIME, I've done it that way for years with our camper. As a matter of fact I will be adding a tongue jack to my Aspen for that exact purpose (see below).

As a side note, this method will actually allow you to raise the unit off its wheels enough to change a tire if needed.

Here's what I will be mounting on my tongue. I ordered it today and will have it by this Friday. It's light, strong and most important, it's mounting height can be adjust up to 8 inches allowing a very small ground clearance. A bit on the pricey side but I used some points I had saved up and got it for about half price.

Fulton F2 Twin Track Trailer Tongue Jack

Maintenance free - designed to eliminate the need for lubrication and maintenance

Corrosion resistant coatings cover internal and external components - will hold up in harsh environments

Ergonomic design - crank, release pin and integrated wheel wedge are made of strong, engineered plastic for a comfortable touch

Limited lifetime warranty

UPDATE: I got the jack delivered today so I quickly put it on the tongue to see how it will fit. It was a bit bigger/heavier than I thought but I think it will work fine.

FultonJack01.png

Trailer (06).jpg

Trailer (07).jpg

Trailer (08).jpg

jobe05

Looks like it swivels, what does it look like swiveled up parallel to the tongue?

Halfling

It does, here's a couple of shots. As you can see with the wheels off I could lower it a bit and move it back on the tongue closer to the ice chest. Still experimenting but I can put the rear stabilizers down and jack it up to take the wheels right off the ground for changing a tire.

Trailer (09).jpg

Trailer (10).jpg

• Like 1

jobe05

That fits pretty good, even with the wheels on!!  Good job!

Halfling

Wheels have to come off, with the 7 inch wheels on and the jack mounted as high as it can go I can't get the front down low enough. It needs to drop the tongue down to about 5 inches. Without the wheels I can actually drop the jacks mounting point a few inches and get the tongue low enough to get the rear stabilizers down with a couple of inches of clearance to spare. I kind of like not having the wheels actually and I'll most likely fabricate a footpad for the bottom. There is a threaded hole in the very bottom that I can use for mounting the footpad.

Trailer (10).jpg

Trailer (11).jpg