Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
jobe05

Sleeping bag or Sheets and blankets?

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

What do you use?  And how do you store it?

I carry 2 sleeping bags in garbage bags in the hold of the camper.

Sometimes I just use 1 bag, sometimes 2 , one to sleep on and the other one to cover up with.  Sometimes, specially if my wife is there, I'll zip the 2 bags together and have a queen size sleeping bag.

Would like to hear the alternatives, as 2 sleeping bags take up a lot of space (along with 2 pillows) in the hold.....

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

I take with me a fleece sleeping bag liner (which I can use as a sheet over the sleeping pad, use alone on hot/warm nights, or add it inside my sleeping bag on very cold nights), a 25* down sleeping bag (stored in a grey/black compression stuff sac), a self inflating pillow (that rolls up in a fleece cover I made for it) and an insulated sleeping pad (slightly inflated)as I find the padding of the sentry's mattress too thin for a side sleeper  

DougW

We used sheets and blankets. It is what is used at home and makes for a better night's reast. We also used an air bed because, as Ken said, the matterss was too thin for our proference.

Pearl Rider

We use sheets and an electric blanket. have the comfort of all seasons without too much bulk.  Just have to make sure you camp where there is electric hooks up in the winter. 

Halfling

We have decided that we like our insulated sleeping mattresses (like Dusty's). Not hard to put a bit of air in and they pack up really good3 and small. Nancy's made sheet sacks with drawstrings for those which makes for a nice sheet sleeping platform. She sleeps in a sleeping bag, I use a sleeping bag as a blanket as I don't like the restriction all that much. A couple extra blankets if needed. The sleeping bags are put into compression sacks.

jobe05

I think I need to look into compression sacks. 2 sleeping backs just rolled and tied take up a lot of space.

• Like 1

Parman

I have two backpacking type sleeping bags from  Mountain Hardwear that I keep in the camper all the time. I put a fitted sheet on the matress and use my sleeping bag. I have used it all the way down to 25 degrees with my litttle electric heater going. Bag is rated for 35 degrees. it came with a mesh bag for storage and a compression sack. The mesh bag comes in hand for dirt laundry while camping so you can go do laundry. With the compression sack I can get it compressed to the size of a small cantalope and it's very light weight weighing in at 2.5 lbs.

http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-lamina-35-sleeping-bag-35-degree-synthetic?ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlNsZWVwaW5nIEJhZ3M6MTo1OjEwMDAwMDA2OF9iY3NDYXQ3MTAwMDA0&skid=MHW2393-BACGN-REGZIP

youngnbald

We pack one sleeping bag to sleep on, sheets and a blanket (fleece I believe).  In the cold temps, we took two bags.  One under us and the other over the top.  28 degrees and worked fine.  Cold in the morning to get out of bed!  No electric at site!!!!

I pack the bags and blanket last and cover the entire gear in the belly of camper.  Without rolling the bags, it is thin and smashes flat if needed.  Since it is the first thing set up upon arrival, it works out.

Dusty Boots

I think I need to look into compression sacks. 2 sleeping backs just rolled and tied take up a lot of space.

While compression sacks are great for reducing the overall bulk of your sleeping bag, do not store them in it. When you get home from a trip remove the bag from the compression sac so the bag will retain it's 'loft'. (it's ability to keep you warm)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

LOFT

loft_v2_m56577569831495576.gif

Loft is a key factor in determining a bag's warmth. It refers to the thickness or puffiness of a bag. If two bags have the same fill type, features, and shape, the one with the higher loft will be warmer. For information on measuring a sleeping bag's warmth, see our article on Sleeping Bag Ratings and Standards Tests.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       It is best to store a sleeping bag in a clean, ventilated area, but not draped over a hanger or rod. It will be happiest if loosely stuffed in a large cloth or mesh bag so it will retain its loft.

• Like 2

Parman

I totally agree with you on the compression sacks Dusty. I only use my compression sacks while traveling on the bike tent camping. Otherwise they are in the mesh bags provided with them.while in my canmper. This also allows them to air out better by storing them in the mesh bags.

DougW

If you ae travelling with an Aspen camper, why do you need compression sacks for the sleeping bags? We just folded our blankets and laid them on the bed, then folded the camper like normal. That little bit of extra bulk caused no problems whatsoever.

• Like 1

jobe05

I added 1 1/2" memory foam matress, so with that doubled up, and the two bed mats, plus the roof poles between the memory foam, I'm maxed out on what I can put on the bed area.

Monkeytrucker

We have a 1.5" memory gel foam that we cut into two pieces that match the Aspen pads. They are egg crate style and our daughter in law enclosed them in sewn covers she made. We simply turn one over and jiggle them till they fit into each other and lay them on top of the folded down tent. We also have a comforter that we use and it lays over the top of the foam. We lay our HF fatigue squares on top of that and put the straps on. Actually it makes the tonneau cover fit so it does not flutter. Not worried about the cover being taught. One of the brass rings came out of the drawstring pocket the first time we used it and before we carried anything over the tent and under the tonneau. The ring appears to not have been crimped very tightly.

Parman

DougW,

I don't use the compression sacks unless tent camping without the trailer. However, I don't always pull my Aspen if I'm only going for a day or two. When traveling without my Aspen I carry sleeping bag in a compression sack, air matress and tent which I can fit all into 1 saddlebag along with my stove for cooking.

• Like 1

DougW

DougW,

I don't use the compression sacks unless tent camping without the trailer. However, I don't always pull my Aspen if I'm only going for a day or two. When traveling without my Aspen I carry sleeping bag in a compression sack, air matress and tent which I can fit all into 1 saddlebag along with my stove for cooking.

That makes perfect sense to me.

Chromo

I somewhat vacuum pack my stuff.

You know I don't carry much when on the road and like to have that low profile and extra room. :confused-face-smiley-emoticon::Face-Raspberry::roflmao:

Actually many things like blankets I put into the garbage bags to keep them dry if I hit rain, then I sit on them to press out as much air as I can, then fold up end of bag good and duct tape it well. Simple vacuum pack! Saves allot of space that way on many bulky items that are full of air!

Works well on sleeping bags also, and most clothes.

A temporary pack like that is fine as most things will fluff back up and suck in air when opened and shaken a bit. Do not want to store for long periods as stuff may not fluff up, it's the air pockets that provide most insulation for warmth.

I am starting to pack extra clothes like that also. I use ziplock freezer bags. I take new or fresh washed (and well dried ) socks, t's, etc.. and pack 1 day of clothes and press out all the air. Makes a nice tight small package and it stays dry no matter what the weather. I been keeping a set or 2 of everything except jeans packed like that on the bike now permanent. I could ride off into a river and still have dry clothes to wear when I swim back out.

Since I am trying to get the wife to start riding and take some longer trips I have had to rethink the way I used to load the bike sky high and over the trunk.

As for tent sleeping, I carry the sleeping bag which I sleep in if cold or on top of if warm. I have 1 nice blanket compressed under that load I normally carry, and I have a wool emergency rescue blanket in it's vinyl bag I also carry but seldom use. So if cold I may use all, if warm I sleep on top of the bag and cover with regular blanket.

I don't care for sheets when camping, I like something a bit heavier over me.

Mosquitoes seem able to bite through a thin sheet but a thick blanket they seem to have more trouble with. :roflmao:

I expect when I build my solo camper trailer I will do about the same thing I do now, just haul allot more useless junk in it I'll seldom ever use. LOL

Parman

DougW I was looking at your signature. I just wanted to let you know that Mr Smith and Mr Wesson have a very nice selection of home security products as well.

:roflmao:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,