Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
jobe05

Installing a New Canvas Tent

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

I got my new tent the other day and without hesitation I started working on it.  I thought I would take my time, and take a couple of days......  The old Canvas came off in about 1/2 hour an the new one went on in about 4 hours.

With the canvas came direction for removal and installation of the new canvas.  Although the directions are pretty straight forward, there was a couple things that I had to do a little different.

1 - Drilling out the 2 different size Rivets, the ones over the entry door, side ties on the center pole and all the ones across the front of the bed, I had to use a little bit bigger drill bit than the directions gave.  I tried what the directions said, but it didn't drill the heads off the rivets.

2 - Directions wanted the tent poles in the center and over the door extended (as if totally set up) while positioning and securing the canvas.  I understand why this should be done, in order to get the proper fit on the canvas, but I could not raise the center pole due to the garage door opener being in the way of it going all the way up........  However, more on why this was not an issue for me in a little bit.

3 - The directions said nothing about the struts that lift the lid.  However, for those that do this in the future, REMOVE THE STRUTS FIRST!!!!!  Part of the install of the canvas is removing the two hinge bolts (Picture below).  Once removed, the bed platform is held in place with nothing,........  except these struts, which will push the platform forward..... THat was not fun!

Heres a pic with the old canvas off the camper body:

IMG_3621%20Medium.jpg

Working in my small garage was tight, but it's air conditioned so the working environment is a lot better than the 98 degree driveway with the sun beating down on me.....

Here's the new canvas getting laid out over the camper base:

IMG_3622%20Medium.jpg

Heres a pic of the screws that have to go in around the bed platform that hold the canvas onto 3 sides of the camper.  the screws were very easy to install.  Since this was a previously installed canvas, all the screw holes were already there.  Much to my surprise, 99% of them matched up perfectly to the already drilled holes in the bed frame.  That was why raising the center pole on the tent wasn't really necessary for me, all my holes were already there on the canvas and on the trailer.....  Nothing to line up.  Installing all these screws took the most time of the whole install, theres just a ton of them!!

IMG_3623%20Medium.jpg

Heres the right side hinge bolt.........  Biggest pain in the butt to do of the whole job.  The hardest part was the bolt is a shoulder type bolt with a rather large shoulder that is very difficult to get passed through all the washers and frame components needed to get the nut on. 

IMG_3624%20Medium.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the bolt before installing it, but when I did the second one, I ground down the blunt large shoulder to an angle and it made getting it back in there a lot easier!!

IMG_3651%20Medium.jpg

Heres the large rivets installed across the front of the bed, again, the hole already in the canvas (previously installed canvas), everything lined right up and went together very quickly.   as you can see there are 3 on the far left and 1 on the far right are missing.  The install kit was 4 short and Brady is shipping them to me.

IMG_3631%20Medium.jpg

The rivets over the door and center post werent bad at all to do, but these that are used on the front of the bed are a bear!!!  Luckily I had a nice big rivet gun that did the job nicely!!  With out this, I would have had some really sore arms and hands.

IMG_3632%20Medium.jpg

jobe05

Hers some pics of the finished product:

IMG_3627%20Medium.jpg

IMG_3626%20Medium.jpg

IMG_3629%20Medium.jpg

I love the way they are doing the doors on these now.  MY old one just had a screen door and the outer solid flap that doubled as an awning.  However when you went in to go to sleep, that meant you had to take the awning down every night and put it back up the next morning, or just never use it as an awning like I never did.  However the new ones have the awning that will zipper close, a screen door that zippers closed AND an inside solid panel hat can zipper open!!  Awesome!

Solid panel sipped open on the screen door:

IMG_3634%20Medium.jpg

With the solid panel zipped close on the door

IMG_3633%20Medium.jpg

In the driveway I couldn't set the awning up but it's on top of the tent, just didn't show it.

Installing the new canvas is pretty straight forward and easy to do.  If you have an old worn out, saggy canvas I would highly recommend getting a new one and installing it, no fear in doing the job!

• Like 1

Parman

Nice job John. New canvas has the split window too. I like that.

Halfling

I like that solid panel on the inside of the screen door. Nice add! Good job John!

youngnbald

John.  I pointed out to Brady that the straps to hold the windows in place when unzipped causes wicking of water into the tent.  He is talking of eliminating the straps up by the bed.  I cut my straps out at the bed!  They are useless due to material lays on the bed board if you did have them all the way open.  I am trying to figure out something on the other ones in the room area.  Maybe holding them up it wouldn't wick and drip into the room area.  Your tent looks just like mine!

Parman

Twins

youngnbald

Twins

I have the newer frame though, lol!

Galaxyhunter

Twins

The question is, which one is Arnold & which one is DeVito? :SmileyTooth:

jobe05

I believe DeVito was the bald one .............

Just sayen..........

youngnbald

Ouch!  LOL