Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Halfling

Tarp Over the Top

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Hey guys, I saw this while browsing around on the Motocampers.com forum and it was posted there by Newday777. He used a 12 X 24 tarp. Anyone ever tried doing this? Seems like it would help a lot in the hot summer sun!

20140720_183943.jpg

20140720_183956.jpg

6-25-2015 1-34-16 PM.png

Winer_r

Seems like it would help a lot in the hot summer sun!

I think it would also help when it is raining and muggy. Really going to have a lot of poles and tie down and pray for no big winds. Nice carport area also.

jobe05

I use to do that all the time when I was tent camping, haven't tried it over the Aspen yet, Never felt the need for it.

Halfling

I was thinking specifically for heat control maybe, not so much for rain. Of course a good shady spot would work just as well although that is not always guaranteed. Extra "stuff" to carry though.... :(

Monkeytrucker

We have a 5,000 btu air conditioner and it keeps the camper really cool even during the day. Only problem is forgetting to have it tilted backwards. If one does not the condensate water ends up inside the tent. The other problem with the unit is that the fins on the back are exposed and get rubbed closed while handling the unit. I fixed that with a grill mounted over them. Then the other problem is getting the unit in and out of the tub. Solved that be affixing an old web belt from side to side so I have a easy handle to lift it out.

• Like 1

Halfling

We have a 5,000 btu air conditioner and it keeps the camper really cool even during the day. Only problem is forgetting to have it tilted backwards. If one does not the condensate water ends up inside the tent. The other problem with the unit is that the fins on the back are exposed and get rubbed closed while handling the unit. I fixed that with a grill mounted over them. Then the other problem is getting the unit in and out of the tub. Solved that be affixing an old web belt from side to side so I have a easy handle to lift it out.

You know the story Gary, "no pics means it didn't happen!"....Plus, I'd like to see those mods...maybe it's own thread?

youngnbald

I kept the original box for the ac and it does great to protect the fins on the back.  Also, the foam bottom retains the water when you finish camping and pack everything up.  Be sure the take ac out once you get home so the humidity isn't sky high in the tub of the camper.....I recently skipped this step and had to air out the camper storage area to dry out.

I may try to get photos of some simple upgrades I have done to improve my camping experience.  Learning how to pack stuff like a pro and make setup very efficient while keeping the stock low.  No extra stuff is my goal!

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

You know the story Gary, "no pics means it didn't happen!"....Plus, I'd like to see those mods...maybe it's own thread?

I will take pictures and post them. I am cogitating on how to make a folding stand to set the unit on. Something that might simply attach to the bottom and fold down when needed. It would also take care of the condensate running into the tent.

I suffer from flashbacks to times of trying to sleep in hot places so an A/C unit is almost a necessity. I worried about it being too heavy to transport but with that battery in the tail the A/C unit does not add to the needed weight on the tongue. The cooler has to do that.

youngnbald

Gary.  I made a PVC rack to set the ac unit on.  Using Threaded elbows and T, I created a rectangle frame that is solid and five legs that unthread to store on top of ac box when put away.  The threads allow me to make up for high and low lands at my set up.  Works great!  I will need to take photos of this.  People use a milk create, but this is a pain since it cannot be broken down smaller.  Dumping everything out is not an option when the AC is my first setup when camping.

• Like 1

Halfling

Gary.  I made a PVC rack to set the ac unit on.  Using Threaded elbows and T, I created a rectangle frame that is solid and five legs that unthread to store on top of ac box when put away.  The threads allow me to make up for high and low lands at my set up.  Works great!  I will need to take photos of this.  People use a milk create, but this is a pain since it cannot be broken down smaller.  Dumping everything out is not an option when the AC is my first setup when camping.

Five legs? You're gonna have to explain that one to me Mark!

Dusty Boots

A 8" O2 Cool fan can be run on shore power, D cell batteries, or 12V, is a lot quieter and compact than an A/C unit, where you must have an electric site.

14845854527_e3b3da6cf8_z.jpg

As for the tarp over the whole unit, I would find that a waste of time/effort and storage space for all those poles, when you are basically only in it at night to sleep. Find a shady tree.

My homemade side awning provides ample shade and packs down small!!

My 10' x 12' side awning packed in it's sac.

15238612826_4814b0c756_z.jpg

Sac packed in the camper storage tray

15075066267_9b906c893f_z.jpg

Side awning in use

15300716607_a07282d414_z.jpg

15464174046_e891a66ddc_z.jpg

• Like 1

youngnbald

Five legs? You're gonna have to explain that one to me Mark!

Four elbows and three T's built the structure.  Elbows on the outer corners.  Two T's used on the mid-section of rectangle frame.  The third T is in the mid section as a cross member, aiming down.  Four legs on the outer edges and one leg in the middle.  Gives the support and strength to hold more weight of a larger AC.  I used 1/2 pvc I believe.  Will need to get photos taken to show my ideas.  Tied up at work at the moment.

Halfling

OK, I think I got it now. Looking down from the top, 4 legs one at each corner and the 5th leg is in the middle. 

6-26-2015 12-44-05 PM.png

youngnbald

OK, I think I got it now. Looking down from the top, 4 legs one at each corner and the 5th leg is in the middle. 

Yes.  I came home to take photos.  I will start a new post to show what I have done this week.  Need to field test lots of this yet, but it works in the garage so far.  Here is the ac rack. post-4776-0-07764100-1435342905_thumb.jpg

The other T's in the middle were for some ideas that didn't develop yet.

• Like 1

jobe05

I got the piping to make a 4 legged stand.  I went with all 3/4" to beef it up a little.  Im also having a different AC cover built that will attach to the velcro inside the tend, and will be 2 piece, the first will have an elastic cord in it to fit snuggly around the AC, and the outer piece will be a zippered door that will expose the piece inside with the elastic cord.  So my AC will be sticking into the tent about 4", and the rest will be outside.  Which makes my stand shallower that the AC is deep, put based on past experiences, I'm going to use tie downs on the AC so it doesn't get knock over when someone enters the tent drunk and trips over the zippered door...........

Monkeytrucker

I'm going to use tie downs on the AC so it doesn't get knock over when someone enters the tent drunk and trips over the zippered door...........

now that fits in "it did not happen if there are no photos" category. Maybe we can bribe Becca to post those photos....

youngnbald

I was thinking of something rigged to ac to prevent theft.  Not sure yet, but could be easily modified onto ac.  $100 easy grab in todays world?  Hate to make it easy on people.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,