Sign in to follow this  
Halfling

Aspen Tail Light Replacement and Rewiring Project

60 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

I know this a rather crude drawing, but I think you can see what i am trying to show. You don't really need a junction box, just a jumper plug. To use with a 4 wire vehicle just unplug the jumper and plug the trailer 4 prong into the vehicle.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks good Doug, accomplishes the same task with less cable run and no little adapter to lose! I already have the junction box installed and it was my intent to do that anyway so I'll just incorporate what you have into my configuration. Instead of running two separate pigtails from the junction box to the front of the tongue like I originally planned, I'll just run one plus the 2 turn signal lines and use the jumper configuration as in your drawing. Here's something I threw together (actual pin numbers/postions may vary). I will be using a 6 wire instead of a 5 wire as well.

New 4 and 5 Wire Configuration b.jpg

DougW

John,

Your drawing skills certainly outshine mine!!

I think your labels on the far right should be

Ground

Brake

Running

Right turn

Left turn

Halfling

Thanks Doug, I have been using MS Visio for years (taught it for a bit too) so throwing something together like that is easier for me than paper/pencil!

Good catch on the labels, I was rushing and forgot to change them. I fixed the post above with a pic that has the corrected labels.

Also, here's a prettier one....

New 4 and 5 Wire Configuration d.jpg

Halfling

Looks like I'll be back working on this project this weekend with the hopes of finishing it up tomorrow (Saturday)! I'll post additional updates over the weekend.

jobe05

I mailed your box out this morning with the straps in it (with other stuff).  So the straps can be your next project....

Halfling

Nice! I still have some other "stuff" to do as well but the straps will be a great addition! Thank you!

jobe05

the straps will be a great addition!

I liked the Aspen for the simplicity of setting it up and taking it down, that why I chose it over all the others.

For the longest time I have seen the straps and just figured it was just one of those other things that will now have to be done as part of the set up and tear down of the tent.........  Just another thing to do, which I do not want.  But after adding them, they are a great addition and Time saver when Packing up as they hold the canvas in nice and neat so the cover can co on a lot quicker and cleaner...........  Im sorry I lived without them this long.

Halfling

Update: It's VERY hot here in middle TN and working in the driveway with a couple of shade canopies up and fans running is really difficult. I really need an air conditioned garage for my projects!!! Frequent breaks and lots of water. Anyway, it looks like I am just about done with the new light install. I've got to mount a bracket on the tongue to hold my 6 wire round receptacle and that will do it for now. I've got it working on 4 wire AND I've got it to work on 5 wire. 6 wire is all there and ready to go, will just have to wire it into the bike with a relay for the aux power but there is no rush on that. I'll post up some pics later today after I get the bracket mounted. Going to take a lunch break with Nancy first! 

thecruiser

Will look forward to your pic post John. Just to see what you come up with.

Sorry it's so dang hot in TN today. Where we are now, On top a 9,000ft mountain top, at our son's house in Colorado, it's only 76*. Brrrrr

Sorry I don't have the bike here. It's a perfect day for a mountain Ride. Only here for four days so didn't bring it.

Halfling
OK, here's what I've got. It should be noted that I have the 4 wire plug off at them moment as I need to make an additional hole in the junction box for it to come out and come forward along the tongue. The point being, it works in 4 flat, a 5 flat or a 6 round  tow vehicle. Note: The amber turn signals are only utilized for 5 or 6 wire configuration. The 4 wire configuration uses the red brake lights for turn signals.

6 Wire Plug.jpg

6 Wire Round Recepticle2.jpg

BrakeLights.jpg

JunctionBox01.jpg

Left Turn.jpg

New 4 and 5 Wire Configuration e.jpg

RightTurn.jpg

RunningLights.jpg

2016-06-26_14-57-12.png

• Like 1