Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Halfling

Aspen Tail Light Replacement and Rewiring Project

60 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

This job is now officially on the "back burner" until I can get more work done on the kitchen. If you're intersted in this project please be sure to follow this thread for future updates!

Halfling

OK, I'm running a bit behind schedule but this rewire/light project has now resumed. I have my temporary garage set up in the driveway and I'm going to spend they day trying to get this project done! Wish me luck!!!

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Im not young but sure am skinny enough!!  Lost 10 more pounds and 4 inches off the waste since you have seen me last!!

Congratulations on the weight loss. You probably worked 11 of those pounds off at your BRM M&G.

When you go up in John attic think of this. We were fighting an attic fire one time and one of our entry crew went into the attic with a hose line. Those of us who were at the base of the ladder we had poked up thru the ceiling saw 2 fire boots come thru the ceiling. However they suddenly stopped and a loud moan emanated from above. Fred had some how slipped off a ceiling joist and came thru the ceiling. However one foot went on one side of the joist and the other foot went on the other side of the joist. You all can picture the rest. The laughter when he was sitting in the ambulance with ice bags on his man parts was embarrassing to him but hilarious to the rest of us.

Halfling

Side marker lights installed, rear running/brake lights installed, still working on the rear turn signals and will probably finish them up first thing tomorrow, Then I have to install the junction box and the wiring harness. The goal is to have all of the lights hooked up and functional by the end of the day tomorrow.

• Like 1

Halfling

Lights are installed. I was worried about making standoff for the amber turn signals but it appears to me that it wasn't needed. I used 3" stainless bolts (#10-24) and use two nylon locknuts and two washers on each bolt to clamp it into position. It seems really secure and I don't believe any extra support is needed. Dang hard to get them in the right spot tho!  Now it's on to the wiring harness!

Standoff01.jpg

Standoff02.jpg

taillights02.jpg

• Like 1

jobe05

Looks like a good retro fit!!

Halfling

I think so too! Here's a BEFORE, a GOAL using Dusty's as a model and a FINISHED product.

6-22-2015 8-58-13 AM.png

DustysRearLights.jpg

taillights02.jpg

jobe05

FINISHED?  Your putting your light bar back on aren't you?.....

Halfling

LOL, you take me so literal sometimes! :-)  I have "finished" mounting the lights! I'm working on the junction box/wiring harness now and then I'll re-install the bumper with the light bar. So, to be more correct, I haven't really finished the entire job yet!

BTW, I'm using a junction box in the hopes that I can wire in pigtails for BOTH 5-wire and 4-wire.....has anyone ever done that before?

:Face-Raspberry:

Junctionbox01a.jpeg

Junctionbox02a.jpeg

• Like 1

jobe05

I haven't on a trailer but I have added a 4 and 5 flat on my car. Works good!!

thecruiser

LOL, you take me so literal sometimes! :-)  I have "finished" mounting the lights! I'm working on the junction box/wiring harness now and then I'll re-install the bumper with the light bar. So, to be more correct, I haven't really finished the entire job yet!

BTW, I'm using a junction box in the hopes that I can wire in pigtails for BOTH 5-wire and 4-wire....has anyone ever done that before?

:Face-Raspberry:

Boy,... what a rats-nest...  :Clown:

Not really john... looks very organized.

• Like 1

Halfling

Rain is getting in the way of my work!

Anyway, I have the junction box wired and the main cable run back to the tail end is secure. On a typical 5-wire installation you would have 5 wires running to the rear (including ground), I have run 6 wires to keep each of the red brake lights separately wired so in theory I can hook them up as either 4 wire or 5 wire right at the junction box (I think). It would also mean that in a 4 wire hook up the amber lights would remain dark.

Junctionbox03.jpeg

Halfling

OK you experts out there, do you think this will work? Junction box is in the middle...

JunctionboxPlugWires.jpeg

jobe05

Looks like it should work, however while using either of the plugs, make sure the other one is covered completely as to not ground out against anything.

thecruiser

OK you experts out there, do you think this will work? Junction box is in the middle...

Nope.

I'm not understanding what you have there John.  In your pic, on the four-wire plug,the GREEN R turn and the YELLOW L turn appear to be shorted together.

As shown you'll need some diodes in there to separate the two.

Halfling

You are correct Larry! I just noticed that as well but I do have a solution without the use of diodes! Drawing it up now...

thecruiser

John, What are you trying to accomplish in your drawing?

Are you trying to be able to use either/or a 4-wire/5-wire plug for the trailer?

thecruiser

Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear in my question...

Are you trying to be able to plug the trailer into a 4 OR 5-wire plug on a bike or another vehicle?

Halfling

Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear in my question...

Are you trying to be able to plug the trailer into a 4 OR 5-wire plug on a bike or another vehicle?

Yes, exactly! I will have two pigtails coming out of the junction box, one with a 5 wire connector and the other with a 4 wire connector. I want to be able to use either one on the fly without going through any extra trouble.

Halfling

I figure I can do it by making and using a special 4 wire jumper plug to be installed when I want to use a 5 wire connection. It would keep the 2 brake lights separate for 4 wire operation and short them together for 5 wire operation.

JunctionboxPlugWires2.jpeg

Spectal4WireJumper.jpg

thecruiser

John, Sorry I can't help right now. We're in Canada visiting friends right now. Will be going home tomorrow.

I'm missing some info as I still can't figure out what you have. The junction box on the front of the trailer seems to missing some wires to the trailer lights.

I had an episode of low blood-suger in the last couple of hours and am not thinking straight right now either. That's not helping.

Off hand, I'm not sure what you want to do will work.

Halfling

No worries Larry. I'll try to clearly outline what I am doing. I think I forgot to mention that the red tail lights are the ones that will recognize the difference between a turn signal and a brake light. I am assuming that there is circuitry inside the led lights. They each have 3 wires, ground (white), running (brown) and either a left turn/stop (yellow) or right turn/stop (green). This will allow them to be used in a standard 4 wire configuration. To use them in a 5 wire configuration you run the brake lights to each of the red light but only use the brake light function (not the turn signal). The turn signals go separately to the amber lights.

So, in theory, I should be able to wire them to do both 4 wire and 5 wire without additional control circuitry IF I made an up front change to make sure that I ran each of the red tail lights separately as if I was using them for a standard 4 wire configuration (an extra wire from the junction box to one of the red lights).

The 4 wire config ignores the two amber lights and the 5 wire config uses them but combines the two brake lights to just use the brake light function (not the turn signal).

Here's a pic of the trailer connections with 6 wires running from the  junction box aft to the rear of the trailer. I've also added 2 more pics...one for the standard 4 wire configuration and the other for a 5 wire configuration which uses an ADAPTER that ties the two brake lights together and also allows the 2 amber turn signals to be used.

I will have two separate pigtails coming out of the junction box and travelling forward along the tongue (one 4 wire and one 5 wire) where they will be affixed near the front.

Confused yet? I'll let everyone know if it works later this week when I get the installation finished!

TrailerWireHarness01.jpg

4 Wire Configuration.jpg

5 Wire Configuration.jpg

• Like 1

thecruiser

There Ya go... I think your good to go now.

Your Amber turn lights are out of the circuit with the 4-wire plug hookup and both brake lights operate with one feed on the 5-wire. :thumbs-up:

DougW

I know this a rather crude drawing, but I think you can see what i am trying to show. You don't really need a junction box, just a jumper plug. To use with a 4 wire vehicle just unplug the jumper and plug the trailer 4 prong into the vehicle.

post-4773-0-14571100-1436185933_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,