Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

Aspen Tail Light Replacement and Rewiring Project

60 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

This weekend I began my Aspen rewiring/light replacement project. I am taking it from a 4 wire system to a 5 or 6 wire system and I am also upgrading all te lights to LEDs.

The first thing I did was pull off the existing lights (incandescent) and I have also pulled out the entire wiring harness to switch it over from 4 wire to 5 wire. The funny thing is the further back I went in the wiring harness the more wires I came up with. It looks like it was wired originally as a 6 wire and two of the wires were cut to make it a 4 wire. I'm replacing it all but I thought it was interesting.

My trailer is the white tub in the pics and it has incadesent lights and the tail lights are all red (no amber like some of the models).

Now that I have it ready for the replacements I am having trouble locating independent LED AMBER TURN SIGNALS to fit the installation. I know their out there somewhere, I just can't find them! Any assistance would be appreciated.

Here's what I'm looking for (thanks to Dusty for the pic)...

taillights01.jpg

RearLights02.png

jobe05
JGL351

You can also try a Truck and Trailer supply retailer... In Ontario we have Princess Auto... they have a large selection of replacement lamps and wiring.

Halfling

Hey John, the ones you linked to on eBay are not what I'm looking for. Still haven't found anything I would want to put on the rear of my trailer. Maybe I'm being too fussy....

I was considering putting a strip of amber lights on each side just above the brake lights but I only have about 13" to work with and the shortest strip I've found is 15".

RearLights.png

Halfling

OK, I "think" I may have found what I was looking for. The Maxxima M42206Y Amber LED Park/Rear/Turn Light should work in the vertical position to the inside of the red brake/running light. I think that will give me the look I want.

Amber Turn Light 01.png

Amber Turn Light 02.png

Tail Lights New 01.png

DougW

John, it looks like you have 2 bulb taillights on there already.  On my Aspen it had those same lights.  One bulb, I think it was the upper one, was a single filament for turn signals and the lower had dual filaments for the brake and running light.  I had red lenses on mine because I had an adapter to use it with a 4 wire set up but could also use it with the 5 wire on the Motorcycle.  The trailer came with yellow for the turns and red for the others, I called Trailmaster and they sold me the red lenses for something like $20.   

You may need to just get a set of yellow lenses for the turn signal part and wire them up the way they came from the factory, Trailmaster should have the source for the lenses.

thecruiser

John, Glad you found lights that will work for you. On my Aluma cargo trailer, these are the lights I added for turn signals.

post-254-0-53367800-1435056573_thumb.jpgMVI_1781.MOVMVI_1780.MOV

• Like 1

Halfling

John, it looks like you have 2 bulb taillights on there already.  On my Aspen it had those same lights.  One bulb, I think it was the upper one, was a single filament for turn signals and the lower had dual filaments for the brake and running light.  I had red lenses on mine because I had an adapter to use it with a 4 wire set up but could also use it with the 5 wire on the Motorcycle.  The trailer came with yellow for the turns and red for the others, I called Trailmaster and they sold me the red lenses for something like $20.   

You may need to just get a set of yellow lenses for the turn signal part and wire them up the way they came from the factory, Trailmaster should have the source for the lenses.

Thanks Doug! You are totally correct, I suspect that the amber top lenses were swapped out for red ones too (when it went to a 4 wire config). I don't want to get the yellow lenses as I am moving them to all LEDs instead of the filament bulbs so a total replacement is in order.

BTW, do you still have your trailer?

Halfling

Here's the wiring plan with the harness pictorally laid out. I'm going to go with 6 wire but leave the auxillary disconnected for now.

Wiring Color Codes.png

Wiring Plan 6 Wire.png

DougW

Thanks Doug! You are totally correct, I suspect that the amber top lenses were swapped out for red ones too (when it went to a 4 wire config). I don't want to get the yellow lenses as I am moving them to all LEDs instead of the filament bulbs so a total replacement is in order.

BTW, do you still have your trailer?

I sold the Aspen, the days of long rides are past for us so we went to a toy hauler camper.

Wire the sixth wire on the plug to a relay activated 12 volt and connect it to the battery. You will always have plenty of power when you stop for the night.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

While I have yet to rewire the Fiat harness to 5 wire we came up with a $10 fix. I had a set of magnetic mount lights bought at a local farm store for $10. I stuck them onto a piece of angle iron (securely wrapped with tape to keep them stuck and then clamped the angle iron to the Dusty Boots designed back bumper. Just routed the wire up over the camper and to the 4 wire plug.

I plan on building the Rudy designed 4 to 5 wire adapter or maybe will simply tap into the Fiat wire harness to make it a 5 wire (6 wire plug) system. It is actually a set of lights like the 1800 has. The wiring kit isolator just converted it down to a 4 wire.

Halfling

Wire the sixth wire on the plug to a relay activated 12 volt and connect it to the battery. You will always have plenty of power when you stop for the night.

Good idea Doug, I just ordered the relay and a relay socket w/wires to finish it up proper!

Halfling

The new LED lights were delivered today. The red tail lights will work fine as well as the new amber side markers. The amber turn signals are ok and will work from a width/height perspective but they are very slim. I'm thinking I will have to make some sort of standoff bracket for them so that they are out flush with the face of the  red brake lights. I'm sure I'll figure out something...

jobe05

How far out do they have to come to be flush?

A few washers?  Cut the length you need out of the remaining piece of chrome sleeve I gave you and use for stand off's if your bolting them on.

If they screw on, I have some 1/2" or 5/8" (never measured it), bullet proof plexiglass, you can drill throught it though. you can even tap screw threads into it.  Let me know if thats something that might work, I'll cut a piece off the size you need and mail it back with your other stuff.

Halfling

How far out do they have to come to be flush?

A few washers?  Cut the length you need out of the remaining piece of chrome sleeve I gave you and use for stand off's if your bolting them on.

If they screw on, I have some 1/2" or 5/8" (never measured it), bullet proof plexiglass, you can drill throught it though. you can even tap screw threads into it.  Let me know if thats something that might work, I'll cut a piece off the size you need and mail it back with your other stuff.

First, the amber turn light is VERY light so it won't really require much support although it would have to stand up to the elements including wind. I've attached a couple of photos that should give you the general idea. It looks like about 2 to 2 1/4 inches of standoff would be about right. Shouldn't be difficult to come up with something.

BTW, the white thingy in the photo is just my phone charger plug used to hold the light up for the photo.

RearLEDs01.jpg

RearLEDs02.jpg

Standoff Bracket01.png

Dusty Boots

How does Nancy like her self healing rotary cutting board?  I really like mine!  :)

Halfling

Got my 7 pole junction box delivered yestrerday. It will be installed on the tongue close to the trailer just aft of the cooler rack. Looks like I'll be able to work on this project over the weekend (after I get the dang grass cut and whatever other honey do's I've got). Looks like I may be working on the kitchen electrical this weekend too...our countertop microwave went out this week so I'm putting in an over the stove combo unit which means I have to get a new subpanel in and some of the wiring done to support it. Busy weekend ahead!

Junction Box 7 Pole.png

Halfling

How does Nancy like her self healing rotary cutting board?  I really like mine!  :)

OK, it took a PM to Dusty to get this clarified and remove my puzzlement but what he was referring to was the green mat with all the markings on it that I had used as a background for my photos. This actually belongs to my daughter LeAnne and she uses it for her art work (she's an art major in college). I think they are also used in sewing as well. They make great work mat for my model railroad work too! YES, all of the Halfing Family like the "self healing rotarty cutting board"!!!

:thumbs-up:

GreenMat.png

thecruiser

Got my 7 pole junction box delivered yestrerday. It will be installed on the tongue close to the trailer just aft of the cooler rack. Looks like I'll be able to work on this project over the weekend (after I get the dang grass cut and whatever other honey do's I've got). Looks like I may be working on the kitchen electrical this weekend too...our countertop microwave went out this week so I'm putting in an over the stove combo unit which means I have to get a new subpanel in and some of the wiring done to support it. Busy weekend ahead!

John. if ya keep one hand in your pocket at all times,... ya might not electrocute yourself.  :angel-praying-smiley-emoticon: 

Halfling

Larry, your confidence in me is overwhelming!

:Face-Raspberry:

• Like 1

thecruiser

Just tryin' to protect a friend John.

• Like 1

jobe05

To bad we didn't plan that better, I could have helped ya if I was there.

• Like 1

Halfling

No worries, I'll get it done somehow. May not happen all at once but I'll get there eventually! What I really need is some young guy to climb up in the attic and pull wire!

thecruiser

No worries, I'll get it done somehow. May not happen all at once but I'll get there eventually! What I really need is some young guy to climb up in the attic and pull wire!

Yeah well, good luck with that.   :sad-face:

jobe05

What I really need is some young guy to climb up in the attic and pull wire!

Im not young but sure am skinny enough!!  Lost 10 more pounds and 4 inches off the waste since you have seen me last!!

• Like 1