Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Mike1950

Engine noise / Alternator Drive rattle

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mike1950

I am a newbie owner, having bought a 2010 GL1800. It has a rattle or growl that appears to come from the alternator drive. My local dealer wants huge bucks to fix, and advises the noise might return. Bike has 27,700 km or 17,300 miles. Is this a common issue? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

roscoepc

Hang on Mike! Someone will be along in a short to help I'm sure! Exactly what did the dealer say was wrong with her??

jobe05

On the 06 and older models there was a snap ring on the mechanical ADG that would let lose and make it sound like s box of rocks in the engine. On the new models, they switched it to a hydronic or fluid filled type ADG and have had fewer issues than with the old style mechanical ADG, but even the old style didn't fail that often

Unfortunately, the repair is an engine out and split case job, average cost is around $2000 and up

I would make sure it's not an alternate r seal or bearing failure, much cheaper to fix

Fatwing Chris

I think if you check Youtube you will find vids of failed ADG's that you can compare yours to.I think that's the lowest mileage failure that I've read about if that's actually what it is.Saying all that though there have been some low mile failures.Apparently the new style do fail as well,but it's a bit early for too many to show up.Good luck.I really hope it's just a bad bearing in the alt.

beenshot

my 2010 has had a light rattle that seems to be coming from the alternator area since mile one, it now has 47,000 miles and still only has the same light rattle.

It seems to be worse when cold and in neutral but I just don't pay much attention to it anymore. I just wrote mine off as being normal......but I could be wrong and it might shoot craps the next time I ride it.

But I do have the extended warranty that is good for a couple more years, that seems to ease my mind some also.

Parman

My 2010 has the same rattling noise. As far as I know all of them have it. Bought my wing with 4600 miles and now have almost 17000 and it hasn't gotten any worse. Like Larry said its louder at iddle in neutral than any other time.

dadztoy

Don,

My 09 makes a racket on starup -  can't figure out of it's the ABS or timing chains or whatever, but it goes away after a few seconds...  Been driving it this way for over 20K miles so I guess it's nothing serious...

Les

Guest StraightWings

Often it is the (rear) alternator bushing/bearing that makes the rattle noise. It becomes more predominent at higher rpm's if it is that bearing.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,