Sign in to follow this  
Halfling

Aspen Modifications and Upgrades

82 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

If your working in the camper, I hope you bought that air conditioner!!!!!

Makes working in there a little easier!!

Halfling

If your working in the camper, I hope you bought that air conditioner!!!!!

Makes working in there a little easier!!

LOL, so far the work has been confined to the dining room table in A/C comfort but the next items on the electrical list is indeed to go inside the camper. Have to do some holes and mountings in the bedboard! No A/C yet but we're on the verge of buying one and setting it up. It's a HOT week in middle TN!!!

jobe05

Are you able to clear a big enough area out of your back porch to put it under to get it out of the hot sun?

Halfling

Are you able to clear a big enough area out of your back porch to put it under to get it out of the hot sun?

I really don't think so, I've got a LOT of stuff under there as you know. I've been using my 10 x 10s in the drive way the past week or so to work on the mower and now the camper (un-opened) but I don't think they're tall enough to cover the trailer opened up.

Halfling

Interesting tidbit, on Tuesday night we had some very bad storms come through Murfreesboro and the power went out for a bit. The battery case with plug-ins and the light poles made an EXCELLENT Emergency Lighting system! I set the case up on a table, plugged in a toggle switch and a light pole and "bingo", instant lighting!

Outside 01.jpg

Halfling

Update: I will be setting up the camper this weekend to possibly finish off this installation. I need to mount the box in the cargo area, drill a pass through hole and install the triple receptacle in the bedboard. I also have a few "clean up" items to do to make the installation complete. Exterior lighting is not complete yet either! 

I have a feeling that this weekend is NOT going to be enough time to get everything done I want done!

Halfling

Update: I will be setting up the camper this weekend to possibly finish off this installation. I need to mount the box in the cargo area, drill a pass through hole and install the triple receptacle in the bedboard. I also have a few "clean up" items to do to make the installation complete. Exterior lighting is not complete yet either! 

I have a feeling that this weekend is NOT going to be enough time to get everything done I want done!

Yep, I was right, this job is now officially on the "back burner" until I can get more work done on the kitchen. If you're intersted in this project please be sure to follow this thread for future updates!

jobe05

I ordered a 12' X 12' white UV and weather proof Tarp from MyTarps.com ($18).

I had a piece of black, stick on Hook side (hard) velcro that I stuck along one edge and then using Coats thread (weather resistant), sewn both edges of the velcro to the tarp so it could attach to the side of the camper.  Love the added room!!!  The tarp seems heavy enough to block a lot of the suns rays (even though it's not a very sunny day), and should give me a lot of extra space to stay out of the weather.........  Along with a carport to park the Wing!!!

Tarp.jpg

• Like 1

Halfling

OK, maybe if I put it in print then it will really happen! It's supposed to be hot this weekend but dry so the camper will get set up first thing tomorrow and I will see if I can't get some of my electrical modifications completed. Wish me luck!

Halfling

My son came over first thing this morning and helped me set up the 10X20 garage canopy in the driveway. The Aspen set up perfectly under it with room to spare. I picked up a 5000BTU A/C unit at wally world and set it up temporarily to see if I could get it cool enough in there to work on it. After about 45 minutes the outside temp was 93 and the inside temp was 77 (near the floor). It's a bit warmer the higher you go of course but at least it's bearable! I'm doing some of the interior installs now.

WorkingSetup01.jpg

• Like 1

Halfling

Hot, hot and really hot! Been working inside the camper on and off today. Had to run to the big box store for a 1 1/4 inch hole saw for the mounting the triple receptacle. Wouldn't you know it, that bed board is just ever so slightly too thick to get the keeper nuts on the receptacles. I had to take out the top layer of bed board and recess the bezel to get enough purchase for the nuts to grab. I think it will be fine but just not as neat and tidy as I'd like.

12VDCRecpticleTriple.png

Bezel1.jpg

TripleRecp.jpg

TripleRecp2.jpg

• Like 1

thecruiser

That's pretty cool, John. Where did you find it?

jobe05

That is pretty cool, I'd like to see some pics of the hole your talking about for the installation. In my mind, I'm trying to understand the 1 1/4 hole saw and the unit looks rectangular in shape.

Where in the bed board did you install it? Does making such a hole in the bed board weaken it at all?

Halfling

Here's some detail shots to give you an idea. Each of the 3 units is an individual round piece which requires the 1 1/4 round hole (for each of the three). The bezel is used to pull them all together as a complete unit. I used the bezel as a template for hole location. The location I picked actually went through one of the aluminum crosspieces but I don't believe it lost any significant structural strength. If I had thought about it more I may have pushed it back a bit to miss it but I really don't think it will matter. Then I realized that the bed board was thicker than the length of the round units by about 1/4 inch which didn't allow for the locking nut to be attached from the bottom. This caused me to cut out the top layer of vinyl contact paper and the first layer of fiberboard. I may take the unit out and glue down another piece of white contact paper over the hole to neaten up the cut edges a bit. 

NOTE: the voltage meter is a shorter unit and the retaining nut will not go on. It will be super glued into its position. It should also be noted that these can be installed in any position within the bezel that you want. I chose the middle for the meter allowing the two units with longer shafts to hold the mounting together.

Bezel1.jpg

TripleRecpDetail.jpg

TripleRecpIndividual.jpg

TripleRecpLocation.jpg

Halfling

Did some work on the inside of the camper this weekend. Most of the update is in my Electrical thread. I got the triple recepticle installed (but I want to clean it up a bit) and the pass through hole for the wiring. 

In addition, I also got the third ridge pole for over the head of the bed complete and intalled (thanks Jobe05 for the material!).

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/community/forums/index.php?/topic/11644-aspen-electrical-planning-installation/

Pass Through Hole.png

Halfling

I added some white duct tape to the installation, not great but better than the raw edges. I have a slight elevation right in the middle of the unit due to the location of the aluminum cross piece. I will either do some trimming or raise the to ends to make it level. Hindsight: if I had realized where that crosspiece was I would ahve adjusted the location to miss it. In addition, I should have gone just about 1 inch closer to the tent and it would have allowed the mattress to fit in without covering it.

I also put in a pass through hole for the light wiring as well as the AC plug for the battery charger.

Pass Through Hole.png

Better Location.png

• Like 1

Halfling

Electrical to do list (items remaining):

Installation of an LED light and proximity switch for the storage bay beneath the bed

Deciding on permanent location for battery box in storage bay 

Making some external lights out of the LEDs I have and wiring them into the battery box

Make up some additional low voltage extension cords for greater flexibility 

Dusty Boots

I also got the third ridge pole for over the head of the bead complete and intalled (thanks Jobe05 for the material!).

The PO of my Sentry made that one out of 3/4" PVC and a couple of cut down T's.

Halfling

John gave me a piece of 6 foot 3/4 aluminum pipe (thin walled, chromed) and it was easy to put a slight bend (arch) to it. I did use 3/4 PVC Ts for the two ends though.

jobe05

I was asked to post pictures of my installation of my elastic straps that I made for my camper.  The only attachment you can't see is where I screwed the cross straps to the underside of the bed board.  I don't mind this as they stay in place and I just fold them up and put them on top of the tire when opening up, then when I close it up, I know where they are!!  I also have 2 snaps per elastic end as I felt they hold better....  Don't know if it was needed, but I did it.

fender3.jpgfender2.jpg

The long straps that go from front to back, I offset on the camper to the right side (as your looking at the camper from the rear), as that is where the material seems to bunch up on mine.  These snaps, I did just screw into the bed board metal sides under the tent valance that runs near the tub of the tent.

rear%20snaps.jpg

I added the snaps on the left hand side under the fiberglass lip.  I drilled the hole, installed the screw in snap to get the thread formed in the hole, then I removed them and ground them down so they wouldn't stick up ad snag stuff.  I know that Aspen screws these into the metal frame on the bed board, but when you open the camper and the two bed boards come together in this area, it bends the metal on the bed board.  I thought I would try this first, and it seems to be working just fine.

snaps%203.jpgsnaps2.jpgIMG_4238.jpg

• Like 1

jobe05

Also While Im posting upgrades....  My 175/80 - 13 tires proved to be a little to high a profile for the wheel well.  They ran great till I hit a big bump, then they would hit.  When I got to Dusty's place in Canada, I noticed that it had rubbed enough to actually eat a hole in the plastic fender.  So when Parman and I met in Michigan, we went to Tractor Supply to see if they had a smaller profile 13" tire, and they did not, however, they did have a 5.30 x 12" that was right about in the middle of the 4.80x12 and the 175/80 - 13 tires.  I purchased a set of these to get me home, but so far I really like them.  They add just enough hight where the jacks arent as much of a struggle as they were with the 4.80's, but more so than the 13" tires.  I also have 11 1/2 inch stabilizers, so I may ask Brady for those 4 new 10 1/2" stabilizers and it should be great!!  The only issue that I had while riding the remaining 3000+ miles, was one of the tires was leaking air....  not bad at first, 3 to 5 pounds a day.  By the time I got home, 15 psi in a few hours.....

When I got home, I took the tires off and mounted them on a set of 12" Chrome rims that a friend (Bountyhunter) gave me a while back and installed new metal valve stems for the TPMS caps.

I then removed the old plastic fenders and made a set of diamond plate fenders for it.  I added a 2 1/2" mud flap on the back side to help keep all the mud off the trailer!  I like the outcome!

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

fender3.jpg

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

Those fenders look a lot better than the ones you had on it while you were here, John!   :thumbs-up:

jobe05

You mean this one Ken?  

It got uglier by the time I met up with Parman.  I was concerned it would rub into the fiberglass on the tub.

IMG_3701.jpg

Halfling

I think it's time to bump this up again, lots of good info here and plenty of room for more!!!