Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

Aspen Modifications and Upgrades

82 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Post first trip update:

• The light strips did indeed twist inside the tubes. I will be replacing them with a 3/4 inch O.D. tube (5/8 inch I.D.) as soon as possible and including the 1/2 inch AL bar that George and Dusty recommended. I can probably re-use the light strips.

I spent a couple of hours reworking the lights on the two ridge poles today using Dusty and George's advice/instructions. I should have paid closer attention to them in the first place!!! The new tubing and aluminum bar worked extremely well. This is much improved over my original design and I am very pleased with it now. See pics...

20150606_124133.jpeg

20150606_124227.jpeg

20150606_124333.jpeg

20150606_124741.jpeg

20150606_145450.jpeg

20150606_145747.jpeg

20150606_123434.jpeg

20150606_123456.jpeg

20150606_123600.jpeg

• Like 2

Halfling

After spending a long weekend in the camper I realized that the PVC poles in the front corner were sufficient however the fixed length did present a slight problem. I realized that an adjustable pole would be more appropriate (like Dusty had shown). While shopping at Home Depot I found a couple of the painter's poles like Dusty uses for the corner supports so I picked 2 of them up. $9.97 each sounded like a good price to me! As Dusty said, the threaded PVC "T" threaded on to the top of the pole nicely and firmly! An added surprise for me was that the yellow end of the pole actually fit snugly into the "T" that I have for the pvc floor frame. So, that means I can use the new adjustable poles as stand alone corner pole using the bottom "T" as a foot or as part of the entire floor support frame! I have put "T"s on both poles to accept the coat hook but I am still trying to figure out how to make them adjustable but tight. I had to ream them out a bit to get them to fit over the top section of the pole but apparently I reamed a bit too much on one of them and it is too lose (one is very snug fitting). Not expensive to buy another I guess. By the way, just in case anyone was wondering, I cut the top of the upper "T"'s off with my chop saw. It worked extremely well.

Added note: While packing up at the NAGF Blue Ridge M&G, JGL351 (Jim) dropped by with his awesome snow brush (he's from Canada so you should expect an awesome snow brush!) and let me use it to sweep off the roof of the camper. So this weekend during the construction of my new corner poles I remembered that one of the things Dusty ALWAYS stresses is that you should try to make things that have more than one function. Well, these painter poles offered an opportunity to do just that! Because the upper section has a standard thread for attachment heads I now carry with me a soft brush head and when breaking camp I will put that brush on one of the poles and use it to sweep down the roof to remove any debris that may have fallen on to it.

2015-06-06_17-45-57.jpg

20150606_132645.jpeg

20150606_132655.jpeg

20150606_132706.jpeg

20150606_132735.jpeg

20150606_133719.jpeg

20150606_132853.jpeg

• Like 1

thecruiser

I'd like to take a look at your mods John, the next time you, me and your camper are in the same spot.

• Like 1

Halfling

OK, now it's time to start getting all of my wiring in order so I thought I'd post the progress just in case anyone was interested or might want to chime in and keep me from doing something stupid!

Highlights:

• I have no intention of wiring in anything for shore power. If I need shore power I'll run an extension cord through the access panel to a power strip.
  • I have an AGM battery I will be using and it will go inside of a plasic ammo box or something similar.
  • I have a trickle charger that will be used to charge the battery when necessary, no plans to connect the battery to the bike at this time. 
  • I will be installing a few components to facilitate my overall plan (see diagram)

I've also included a few pics of some of the components I will be using.

CoveredBarrierTerminalBlock.png

DC5.5x2.1mmJacks.png

ForkTerminals.png

LighterUSBPorts.png

DimmerSwitch.png

RemoteControl.png

ToggleSwitch.png

Proximity Sensor.png

12VDCRecpticleTriple.png

PowerManagementV13.png

Halfling

Hey Dusty, if you see this post can you tell me what you used for a proximity switch to control your cargo area lighting?

Pearl Rider

I want to see this when you get finished. I have lights in my bunkhouse but I did not go to the extreme your going through with it.   Let me know when your done I might have to make a road trip.

Dusty Boots

John, I used this one to power the LEDs in my storage area when the lid is opened. It's attached to the nearest storage tray I built along each side, over the wheel wells.

15127105741_fdf7e8e4a6_c.jpg

Halfling

Does it work for you when you open the smaller access door when the tent is opened?

Dusty Boots

Yes, it does.

I have it situated towards the end of the tray by the corner of the interior cargo access door, which is basically when I use the cargo lighting the most.

post-3978-0-42373500-1434069504_thumb.jpg

Halfling

Thanks! Ordered one today!

Dusty Boots

OK, now it's time to start getting all of my wiring in order so I thought I'd post the progress just in case anyone was interested or might want to chime in and keep me from doing something stupid!

Highlights:

• I have no intention of wiring in anything for shore power. If I need shore power I'll run an extension cord through the access panel to a power strip.
  • I have an AGM battery I will be using and it will go inside of a plasic ammo box or something similar.
  • I have a trickle charger that will be used to charge the battery when necessary, no plans to connect the battery to the bike at this time. 
  • I will be installing a few components to facilitate my overall plan (see diagram)

That's how I do it as well, as I saw no need to hard wire any outlets inside, just run an extension cord in through the cooler access flap

Also, it's wise to get/carry a male 30 A male to 15 A female adapter plug as the 30 A plug ins are more reliable than the 115s at times.

15311888193_3fc296701c_c.jpg

I also carry/use a power cord caddy to use outside   .....

15905726616_b2e75c6eaa_c.jpg

Also, one of the best investments I made was the purchase of an oscillating fan heater !!!!

I found mine at a Goodwill store and paid all of $4.99 for it!

Great for heating the interior on cool/cold days/nights, eliminates condensation inside, circulates the air on hot days/nights and great for drying out wet gear. (yes, you can move the front mattress to the rear and use the bed board as a cooking surface when raining outside!   ;)  )

15325543244_28d1c0ffd1_c.jpg

• Like 1

Parman

Dusty is it me or is your bed elevated?

Dusty Boots

I think it's you, Don.

Regular Aspen Sentry. Maybe you are looking at the front mattress in the rear, which is over the rear pad, air pad and sleeping bag(?)

Parman

Got it. I see the sleeping bag by the window supporting the bed mattress now.

:thumbs-up:

Halfling

That's how I do it as well, as I saw no need to hard wire any outlets inside, just run an extension cord in through the cooler access flap

Also, it's wise to get/carry a male 30 A male to 15 A female adapter plug as the 30 A plug ins are more reliable than the 115s at times.

Yep, I do carry one of those, I have it from when I camped with the 20 foot tag along camper! Not many things I can reutilize out of that rig but that's one of them!

30AmpPlug.png

• Like 1

Pearl Rider

never even thought about the 30 amp plug convertor   thanks for that information you shared you never know when it will come in handy

Halfling

never even thought about the 30 amp plug convertor   thanks for that information you shared you never know when it will come in handy

and it's even better that it takes up so LITTLE space!!!

• Like 1

Halfling

Well, I now have ALL of the components  to do the electrical EXCEPT that I need a bigger plastic ammo case (or something similar) to hold the battery, the trickle charger and the wiring/terminal strips. The search is on!

Pearl Rider

Think tupperwear

Halfling

Update: I had some time this weekend to work on the electrical setup. I stopped by Northern Tool this morning to do some "Father's Day" shopping and ran across a nearly perfect container for the project. Priced at $19.95 and I had one of those $5 coupons so $15 wasn't bad for a pretty sturdy container. As you can see from the pics it also came with a 2" deep lift out tray which I will put to good use.

Box 01.jpg

Box 02.jpg

Box 03.jpg

Halfling

I installed a terminal strip and some jacks (as per my diagram) and spent a fair amount of time soldering connections. Here's some more pics.

Inside 01.jpg

Inside 02.jpg

Outside 01.jpg

PowerManagementV13.png

Halfling

The battery was a very snug fit especially all the way to the bottom so I decided to elevate it 1 inch. To do this I used some old soft sanding blocks I had laying around. Worked really well...

Inside 03.jpg

Sanding Blocks 02.jpg

Sanding Blocks.jpg

Halfling

There is plenty of room for the charger to go inside the container as well. I will be drilling an access hole for the charger's AC plug. I think a few ventilation holes may be in order as well.

Remember the tray? It makes a GREAT place to keep all of the switches, remotes, jumpers and other items associated with the lighting system.

Charger Placement 01.jpg

fused.jpg

Tray 01.jpg

Monkeytrucker

John, I think you are like someone I have known for 71 years plus. We enjoy the fixing and remodeling more than the finished product. After all, when it is done and working it is "Just Done" and not so much fun as making it.

• Like 1

Halfling

Nail on the head Gary!