Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Aspen Classic leveling stands

54 posts in this topic Last Reply

beenshot

http://www.trailmasterinc.com/pdf/setup.pdf .........step one......lower front stands!!!!

why is everyone trying to put the rear stands down first????????

• Like 1

Halfling

LOL, you're right of course Larry! I have no excuses for my inability to RTFM!!!!

:confused-face-smiley-emoticon:  :Face-Raspberry:

beenshot

LOL!!!   But, of course, I don't know if that will help any. I have no experience with 12 inch tires. I do know that there is plenty of room to lower the rears after the fronts are lowered on mine with the 13 inchers.

Halfling

Yeah, I think what Gary was saying was that if he lwered the fronts first (even without extending) that the back one couldn't be lowered. I haven't tried that sequence yet...

jobe05

My experience with 12" tires, was that if I lowered the front first, then I had to lift the back up to get the legs lowered.  With no leverage and a full camper, that is no easy feat.  So it's easier to lower the tongue to the ground, lower the rears, then use the stabilizer on the tongue that I installed to jack the front up enough to lower the front jacks, then release the tongue stabilizer.  If I did the front first, it was near impossible to get the rears down and locked.

roscoepc

I have GOT to be at the campground with a video camera and lots of beer as this is gonna be extremely entertaining watching all youse guy's set-up those campers!!!! :roflmao:

I do have one question though... Do you use full synthetic or regular wheel bearing grease??? :SmileyTooth:  :SmileyTooth:

• Like 2

jobe05

Wheel Bearing Grease???..............??............  :puzzled-smiley-emoticon:

beenshot

save me a seat and some beer, Don. I should have some spare time. It seems that I will have mine set up before they can get their stands down. :roflmao:

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

Quick remedies.  One, park with trailer wheels on a hump.  Two, park with trailer wheels on 2X4 blocks.  Three, park the camper on concrete like they do in the plant.  Four, get the bride to work out so she can lift the trailer.  I definitely am going to try to shorten the jacks on the rear after the BRM M&G.  As far as I can tell the stands are the only really design fault with the Aspen trailers.

thecruiser

I gatta jump in here too...

I always had trouble lowering the jacks on my Mini-Mate also. (8" wheels)  Not why I did it but I put a frame under it, raising the box a full 3". Also put on larger tires. (still 8" wheels) No trouble lowering the jacks now. I was looking for a shorter jack, like the orginals, to put on the tongue but all i could find was a 17-1/2" from etrailer. It works but hard as it's a little long.

Pic below.

post-254-0-82877900-1432028277_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

roscoepc

I gatta jump in here too...

I always had trouble lowering the jacks on my Mini-Mate also. (8" wheels)  Not why I did it but I put a frame under it, raising the box a full 3". Also put on larger tires. (still 8" wheels) No trouble lowering the jacks now. I was looking for a shorter jack, like the orginals, to put on the tongue but all i could find was a 17-1/2" from etrailer. It works but hard as it's a little long.

Pic below.

attachicon.gifIMG_4168.JPG

Oh Crap Larry, NOW you've done it!!! These guy's were confused enough about the 12" or 13" wheel dilemma and now yer throwing 8" wheels at them???????? :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:  

Nice Job!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs-up:  :roflmao:  :SmileyTooth:

• Like 1

thecruiser

Can you get 12" or 13" wheels with a four-bolt pattern?  (not that I gonna change)

roscoepc

12" yes at Walmart or Tractor Supply. 13", not too sure about......

flylow

Yes, this is really starting to get interesting.  Remember beenshot, if you don't post pictures then "it didn't happen".

Monkeytrucker

I did a little experimentation.  I moved the trailer around in the yard and found there were places I could get the rear stands down in some spots and not others.  In looking close I believe that the wheels sink into the sod a little and make the difference in getting the rear stands down.  Of course since very few will set up on concrete the chances of getting the rear feet down after the front stands are down are simply a crap shoot.  So 2X4s will be in the box to alleviate the problem for now. 

Monkeytrucker

The problem was eating on me so today I cured the problem. I removed the rear jacks and they laid on the floor at 13" long.

First step is to release the spring inside the stand using a pair of needle nose pliers. Then use a set of channel locks bend the spring retainer tab/travel limiter up so the inside will slide out.

I then used a small square with a 1" wide blade and scribed a pair of marks down low on the outer and inner tubes. Using a chop saw I removed an inch from both.

I laid both parts of the outer tube into a piece of angle iron to line it up and clamped it. I did not leave any penetration gap as I wanted to do a rather shallow weld so I would not have to try to remove any penetration from inside the tube. Ground it smooth and applied paint.

Then I repeated the process on the inner tube not having to worry about any penetration. Ground it smooth and painted it.

Slid the inner part inside the outer part, bent the tab back down. Using a pair of needle nose pliers I rolled a new hook in the spring and installed the spring. Put it back onto the trailer and now I have 3" of clearance under the pads. Now they will swing down when the trailer is in most surfaces other than concrete.

They actually look better painted as the powder coat on the stands was not adhering and was peeling off.

The whole process took about 3 hours including figuring out the process to use.

• Like 3

jobe05

Glad you have the ability to make the changes necessary to make these wok for you Gary!  

However.........  No pictures.......  Didn't happen......

Monkeytrucker

Here are the pics.

Original length

IMG_9411_zpsgih1y8ib.jpg

Removing the spring that holds the jack in place up or down.

IMG_9413_zpsrrivcwgo.jpg

Bending the spring retainer tab that also stops the inner from coming out.

IMG_9415_zpszkosgrjo.jpg

Jack apart.

IMG_9417_zpssj3xvdbc.jpg

Machinist square I used to scribe the lines at 90 degrees to tube and also the same width.

IMG_9421_zpsa7mrutgb.jpg

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Part two

Outer tube in chop saw using homemade parallels to make it fit into the saw. You can see the scribed lines.

IMG_9424_zpsa4hfhirt.jpg

Of course the obligatory shot of sparks flying.

IMG_9425_zpsdgw9g9lr.jpg

Outer tube welded and ground smooth. I did a shallow weld as not to penetrate weld into the inner side of the tube. There is no force upon the tube except for compression. Well unless it is Youngnbalds stand....

IMG_9427_zpswlzodypk.jpg

The inner tube ready to weld

IMG_9428_zpstpcwmwld.jpg

Finished stand next to tape. It even looks shorter without the tape.

IMG_9430_zpscfy6leu8.jpg

Back on the trailer behind the Dusty Boots designed bumper.

IMG_9433_zpsku4i4xrn.jpg

No need to do the front ones because you set the fronts first then swing the backs down. Now with the tires depressed into the ground (yes they do make a slight depression) causing the rear stands to hit the raised sod this is not a problem anymore. You can see in the on concrete photo the increased clearance. The jacks have enough length to raise the trailer up high enough to change the tire. I personally do not see that being an advantage unless you were assembling the trailer. You still need a jack to raise the trailer if you have to change the tire on the road unless you have enough man power to set the rear jacks and lift the tongue.

jobe05

Great write up Gary!!!  Good job!  Actually looks easier than I thought it would be.

thecruiser

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics, Gary. Where I am right now, they are blocking Photobucket and I can't see 'em.  :sad-face:

jobe05

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics, Gary. Where I am right now, they are blocking Photobucket and I can't see 'em.  :sad-face:

In a couple of days, you'll be able to see the real things!!!!      :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

thecruiser

In a couple of days, you'll be able to see the real things!!!!      :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon

I know, but I like to see the process.

jobe05

I know, but I like to see the process.

I can bring a hacksaw and my welder..........  Live show??

Dusty Boots

Well done, MT!    :thumbs-up:

They now look a lot like mine!   ;)

15033482065_c30a54deba_b.jpg