Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
papasmurf

Have re-started work on sidecar rig

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

papasmurf

HI FOLKS:

Yours truly took advantage of finally nice weather here in NH. Opened up tent garage end, where Wing rig is stored in winter....proceeded to

clean up quite a bit. Lots of junk went to dump, items consolidated....even have old chest of drawers, donated by my son, which was put to

good use immediately; now loaded with loose Wing parts, which had been scattered all over in boxes. Next project is pack of new swingarm

bearing set and it's installation. Then, arm on Wing, rear end, wheel, 'tupperware' and rig can be shoved outside, so entire area can be well

vacuumed. Exhaust system re-install next, some finish wiring and should be able to attempt first start of 'new' '96A power plant. Am really

looking forward to trying new shift-assist kit install on the road. Also need to ponder replacing old Honda radio/tape player with something

21st century, that only takes CDs....of Beatles, Roy Orbison, Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Johnny Cash, Kingston Trio, Buddy Holly, etc.

First chemo is on 12th....will see how that goes and if it improves things. Be The Good Lord Willin', maybe Elly & yours truly WILL get

some riding in this season! SAFE RIDING TO ALL .....Old Tom, alias papasmurf in New Hampshire

OnaWingandaPrayer

Hey Tom is sounds like you have the next few weeks of work all planned out . May the Lord bless you and be with you as begin your treatments. 

papasmurf

MANY THANKS!

mowerdoc

Good luck w8th the chemo our prayer are with you

papasmurf

Today:  Removed old outer swingarm bearing races. Cleaned arm, w/ wire brush of a few light rust spots. Sprayed arm w/black rust-blocker paint.

Tomorrow: Install new outer races/ pack new bearings...arm will be ready to install. Must strip flaking silver paint from rear end. Will polish it, not

use paint again. Once arm and r/e on, bolts torqued, will be easy to finish rear wheel & all other parts install. Exhaust system is next, if I get that far

tomorrow. Then, [ probably on Monday ] finish engine wiring, a few other items and can attempt first start.    TTFN.....papasmurf

papasmurf

Well. got new races in, bearings packed, arm in place w/ both swivel studs started, then ran out of daylight. Even w/work lights, was very hard to see.

Called it quits @ 7 p.m. Saturday. Did not do anything on Wing today [ Mother's Day ]. Tomorrow, should be able to get rear wheel/ brake on,,,,back

together enough to move rig outside. 'Tupperware' can be put on out there. Will allow me to really clean up work area....maybe even locate a few lost

small items. Won't be too long before engine first start can be attempted. Am also making short list of last-minute parts I can order. It is getting more  

difficult to find new OEM GL1500 parts, as last 1500 was made in 2000; 15 years ago.

Keep in mind that GL1500 IS BEST SIDECAR TUG on Planet Earth & Mother Honda wanted to END this completely! By VOIDING warranty on ANY

new 1800 w/ sidecar attached, it's obvious to see how far they'll go to wipe existence of the GL1500 from rider's minds. 1800's all-aluminum frame, w/ 

mono-lever rear suspension, is NOT strong enough to support long-term sidecar use stress by diehards like yours truly [ 14+ years w/ same rig and

sidecar on 24/7 ]. Enough Ranting!                                                                                                   .....papasmurf

papasmurf

First chemo session today went pretty well....three more weekly sessions to go to final on June 2nd.

Hopefully, rear wheel will be on tomorrow....rig can be moved outside on it's wheels.

Then a real cleanup of entire tent-garage, which wife has wanted done since before I got sick in '14.

later.....papasmurf. 

• Like 2

Winer_r

Good luck to you, stay strong and don't make the nurses mad.

papasmurf

Actually made my assigned nurse laugh. She had me hooked up to i. v. ....said to call her right away if anything went wrong.

I said: " Let's do a test.......EEEK! "  She left, shaking her head but smiling. Felt like a doofus later but downers helped, as

did manage to sleep for a bit.  .....papa

• Like 1

papasmurf

Second chemo session went faster/easier than number one. Slept last 2/3s of way through it, which was just fine with me. Wife, son, yours truly

were able to push Wing rig out of tent-garage & underneath summer canopy, which had been set up, with tarp overlapping both, tied down well,

to keep rain out of my work area. My trusty new wet/dry vac enabled me to clean up floor area pretty well [ and I KNOW some small parts went

into vac tank, which will be fished out in a.m. with good magnet ].  Tomorrow, when weather is promising to be better [ today was damp, windy,

chilly ] will attempt to install 'new' '98 r/e, which has less than half the mileage of original, looks a LOT better. Wish to getting everything back

together, proceeding slowly/carefully, so things don't have to be done twice. Trip to local m/c parts shop tomorrow, will allow me to order short

list of small parts....'nuff said.  VUYA CON DIOS TO ALL  ........Old Tom in New Hampshire

• Like 1

Winer_r

Haven't heard anything lately hoping you medical and mechanical issues all get worked out. Be strong

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,