Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
dwsonar

safety chains?

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

dwsonar

Those of you that pull trailers, do you use safety chains? I've had a trailer come off the ball behind my car, and it wasnt fun. It jerked the car around a lot. On a bike, seems like that would be exaggerated.

beenshot

I always use them, but, it is also illegal to pull a trailer in Arkansas without safety chains.

Halfling

I use safety chains on mine as required by law here in TN. I cross them and make sure they are the right length to catch and support the tongue and keep it from digging in to the ground if it should become disconnected. Not sure I ever want to test the theory though so checking that bad boy is an important part of my riding routine!

dwsonar

I knew I was going to use them, but have concerns.

The trailer is coming along, but ran into a problem. Everyone recommends changing the bearings right away on the HF trailer, so that was my plan. Turns out they're an odd size. Found some, but expensive. Looked at getting two new hubs, that way I could carry an original as a spare, but the spindal is an odd size too.

Lights came in today, Wednesday I should get the wiring harness for the bike.

Dusty Boots

The bearings are fine. 

Just clean the bearings out well and repack with a quality wheel bearing grease. You'll have to pop the seal on the back of the hub to remove the rear bearing

I don't know of 1 single state that does not require safety chains. Make sure they are attached, by crossing them underneath, pass through safety chain loops on the hitch and attach to the chain again to get proper length.

Make sure the coupler is adjusted properly and use either a lock or a hitch safety pin to prevent the coupled coming unhooked/off of the ball!! (which is required by law up here)

14398956961_bb3a1667de_z.jpg

dwsonar

Bearings and seals are changed. I tried to take a couple pics, but my tablet went bonkers on me. Phone went nuts today too.

jobe05

The bearing are a standard size, I want to say 1" inside diameter.  I picked up a set at Northern Tool. 

There may be 2 sizes, one on the inside is bigger than the outside.......  I forgot it's been a while.  But they were standard size.

dwsonar

These bearings are not 1". They're .984 I tried a 1" bearing on the spindal, could feel and see the play in it. Anyway, it's together now.

flylow

dwsonar,

Did you have to destory the rear seals to remove them?  I also have a grease fitting on the hub, is the hub to be completely filled or just a simple way to add grease when needed?

Dusty Boots

You can carefully pry the rear seals out, if you take your time. I screwed up the 1st one (got the 2nd one out no problem) and bought a replacement pair off of eBay from some seller in Great Britain.

The zerk grease fittings are very cheap/fragile so be careful when adding grease to them You don't need a lot of grease there!

BTW  ....both bearings are the same size

beenshot

These bearings are not 1". They're .984 I tried a 1" bearing on the spindal, could feel and see the play in it. Anyway, it's together now.

I don't remember all the numbers now but I ran into this problem last year on my trailer. If I remember correctly they were metric and cost somewhere around 20 bucks a piece and I never did find the right seal.

Where did you get the seals or did you just re-use the old ones like I did.

Dusty Boots

I reused the one good one and used one of the new ones for the one I ruined. I kept the 2nd one as a spare.

Cost for 2 seals at that time (April 2013) was $6.63 for the pair, plus $5.99 for shipping.

I forget the exact size of the seals on my HF trailer with the 8" wheels (the size is stamped on them) but they were 30mm in outer diameter(?)

flylow

Thanks for the information.  I did call a local bearing and belt place with numbers for both the bearing and seal.  They stock both, but said the seal was thinner with the same OD and ID.  I didn't buy but may have to if I mess up the seal.

dwsonar

Seals are 30-52-10, about 9 bucks a piece at Napa. Bearings were 20 each. There goes my retirement.

• Like 1

dwsonar

I havent gotten them yet, but will be adding bearing buddies. I pumped the hub full before putting the dust cap on, looked like the grease was coming out all around the bearing. Should be full.

dwsonar

Wiring harness came in today, so tomorrow I can get the converter and wire everything up.

The wife is going out of town this weekend, maybe I should do a road test. Hmmm

She's headed your way jobe05, to Hendersonville.

jobe05

We couldn't meet up last time you were out this way....... 

The way my schedule looks lately we won't this time either......... 

Should have planned your trip at the end of May so you could join us in Willville on the BRP!!!! 

Of course, it doesn't mean you can't come back........

dwsonar

Im not going with her on this trip.

As for May, that wont happen either. Have a trip to michigan in june.

Flyone

I think safety chains are a must.

I've pulled a trailer for over 50,000 miles and I wouldn't leave home without them.

Great question!

Parman

I always use safety chains. As others have stated I wrap mine so there isn't a lot of slack. Just enough so I can safely move the bike and trailer around.

dwsonar

Well, I knew the answer. I just flashing back to the trailer coming loose on my car. Jolts like I got then, would knock a bike over.

dwsonar

Now I'm fighting wiring. Put the adapter on the bike, all outputs are good. Add the converter, only the tail lights work. I took the converter back and checked a new one with my meter. Reads the same as the first one, so I bought a different type. Ill know something soon.

dwsonar

Same thing. Tail lights work, no brake or signals.

any suggestions?

Monkeytrucker

I was pulling a car trailer and hit a bump where they were building a new bridge.  All He11 broke loose.  The hitch went down on the crossed chains and I was able to get it stopped.  I had felt some funky action so I had stopped and checked the latch.  Stupid me forgot to look if the nut was still on the ball.  It was not.  I found the ball years later and made it into an art piece for my friend who owned the trailer and car on it.