Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Halfling

Garmin Nuvi 2797 Modification/Installation

97 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

John  ....   with the size of that GPS and where you have chosen to mount it, it could very well interfere with full lock turns, with the GPS hitting the windscreen(?), nevermind it being distracting to view it

I'd be thinking on mounting it on a Texelent accessory bar  where that large screen would not interfere with turning and be easier to read while riding as the screen is mounted more to the centre instead of off to the side

Excellent point Ken, it is big and certainly requires some special attention in the mounting decision!

Halfling

No wire in mine that I can tell....not very stiff at all.

oops, upon careful re-examination I have discovered that there is indeed a small wire inside the front edge of the GlareStomper giving it some rigidity. Nice!

dadztoy

No wire in mine that I can tell....not very stiff at all.

OK John, great...  We can make it a bit stiffer if you want...  IIRC, I used about a 18ga soft copper wire in mine...  I can still fold it, but the outer periphery of the shield is still fairly stiff and holds it's shape well...We can take care of it in short order when we get together - only about a 5 minute modification and I have some wire that works well if your so inclined...

Les

Halfling

Update on this conversion: I have contacted Kennedy Technology Group (Jonathan) and have asked him to make me an additional pigtail to attach to the GPS. This pigtail will be exactly like the other 4 wire connector however it will have a male connection rather than a female connection. This will allow me to attach it to the disconnected speaker and Mic so that I can simply connect the two pigtails together and return the unit to normal operation for use in my cage (when I want to). I will have two 6" pigtails hanging out of the back of the GPS rather than one. Maximum flexibility!

It's item "C" in this photo, there will now be two of them coming out of the back of the GPS, one female and one male.

GPS Connection 2

Halfling

Update: I received the 2nd connector cable today however they made it a little differently and it is VERY short and will not allow me to comfortably connect the two of them together. Jonathan is going to make me a new one either the same length of the first one or a bit longer to prevent crimping. Again, the function of this 2nd cable will be to allow the GPS to be returned to it's normal configuration when not being used on the wing.

2015-05-07_18-47-25.png

Macgyver0856

I did the "Greg Rice" mod on a Garmin 2595, John at Kennedy set me up with a celset to connect to the bike. It has voice commands and that's tied in also like Greg did. it works great!

WG9K

yep got my 2797 done last week but having trouble with the voice commands,have to play with the settings inside the box.

Macgyver0856

yep got my 2797 done last week but having trouble with the voice commands,have to play with the settings inside the box.

ya, mine has trouble opening the voice command menu, but after that it's good. I found, music has to be turned off, face shield has to be closed and I have to be going under 45mph...lol

• Like 1

WG9K

ya, mine has trouble opening the voice command menu, but after that it's good. I found, music has to be turned off, face shield has to be closed and I have to be going under 45mph...lol

well I can't get the voice command to activate correctly and the cellist has three different settings inside the box.just keep working on it on way to M&G, leaving tuesday am and stopping along the way somewhere.

Halfling

Update: I received the 2nd connector cable today however they made it a little differently and it is VERY short and will not allow me to comfortably connect the two of them together. Jonathan is going to make me a new one either the same length of the first one or a bit longer to prevent crimping. Again, the function of this 2nd cable will be to allow the GPS to be returned to it's normal configuration when not being used on the wing.

Update: Jonathan made a new connector cable to replace the original one that was significantly longer allowing for a stress free wrap around. I am not sure if I will have time to get to this modification this weekend or not. I will be sure to take photos of the process and post accordingly. 

Halfling

UPDATE: I finally got some free bench time to get this mode completed!!! I followed the instructions for the mode and then added in the 2nd cable as noted above to make it function with or without the speaker/mic. It works perfectly!!!! The only trouble I had was getting the case split apart. I finally went out and got some free guitar picks and that did the trick (after I figured out how to correctly push them in)! I am very satisfied with the mode and it gives me total flexibility of using the GPS in the wing interfaced into the communications system (audio and mic) or using it in my cage with the speaker and mic working as normal!

Note: the picture of the exit point is the hole I made in the GPS Ram Mount Case and not the exit point from the actual GPS (which is much neater and super glued into position.

GPS03

GPS01

GPS02

• Like 1

thecruiser

Nice looking operating room there John.

I need to look into getting another GPS. How do you get along with this one?

Halfling

I like it a lot Larry! Bigger screen for these tired eyes, touch screen, voice command, Bluetooth to phone and the typical Garmin interface. I mount it on the center line off my windshield vent bracket and it is positioned to partially cover the speedometer. I like it there the best and it has a speed readout. Not too impressed with the computer mapping program (Basecamp) but I get by with it.

• Like 1

thecruiser

I'm rereading this whole thread.

I received an email from the adjuster yesterday and the check was sent out yesterday! I should have my new-to-me bike before the end of next week.

The unit is available for about $220+ online. You may have to show me how to hook it up when we get to Illinois, John.

thecruiser

Wow John,.. I'm up to post #37 in my 'reread' of this thread. Looking at the links.  Knowing that you made the modifications,... I'm amazed, that your 'fat fingers' could do all that!  :Face-Raspberry:

I'm reading on... May have to get this stuff ordered today or tomorrow.

thecruiser

Anyone have a link to  Ram ball mounted (or that can be mounted) to the top of the clutch reservoir?

I presently have a mount the goes against the reservoir on the back side. I think with a larger GPS it might be better to get it higher and more forward. Trying to get a list going and all parts here at one shot.

thecruiser

Update: Received GPS, Ram Mount and all of the Kennedy Technology components today. The only surprise for me so far is that the GPS Ram Mount Case did not come with the actual ram ball to attach to the back. My own fault I guess (it didn't say it was included and it wasn't in any of the pics). I think I have one kicking around here somewhere!

Hooked the GPS up to the computer with the very short cable provided, downloaded Garmin Express for Windows and updated the Maps in less than an hour. I also downloaded the manual (a PDF document). Now it's time to play with it a bit. I probably won't start modifying the wiring until later this week.

P.S. Not sure if I needed to order the sun shield either (not received yet), the Ram Mount has a sunshield on it. I did go ahead and ordered a GlarStomper for it though as I liked the pic Dusty had posted of his.

John,

What kind of mount is on the cradle? Is it a 1/4"X20 hole?

I was thinking of getting this cradle, I wonder what's on the back of this?

http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-RAM-HOL-GA61LU-Locking-Garmin-2797Lmt/dp/B00H89ERG4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441905159&sr=8-2&

keywords=ram+cradle+mount+for+garmin+2797

thecruiser

I mounted the new 2797 to the ram mount on the left handle bar this morning for the ride into work (it's not wired in as yet, just testing). It's size is awesome and I really really really like it. It also has a nice screen layout for the additional items on the screen, nice improvements over the older program and with the additional real estate on the screen its not jumbled together.

I also installed a screen protector last night, it was a pain but isn't it always!

Where exactly was the mount attached to, John? (the reservoir?) Also, what did you use for a screen protector?

thecruiser

John,

By reading your posts #'s 42&43, I see you bought the same case I was thinking about. I can see in your photos the need to mount it on top the clutch reservoir and tip it forward. In the reviews on Amazon, they said it was a pain to take it out to use in a car/truck but if it 'lived' on a bike, no problem.

thecruiser

John  ....   with the size of that GPS and where you have chosen to mount it, it could very well interfere with full lock turns, with the GPS hitting the windscreen(?), nevermind it being distracting to view it

I'd be thinking on mounting it on a Texelent accessory bar  where that large screen would not interfere with turning and be easier to read while riding as the screen is mounted more to the centre instead of off to the side

Excellent point Ken, it is big and certainly requires some special attention in the mounting decision!

Mmmm,  Thought about this one hard before I noticed, "NOT recommended for a Level 4".

Halfling

John,

By reading your posts #'s 42&43, I see you bought the same case I was thinking about. I can see in your photos the need to mount it on top the clutch reservoir and tip it forward. In the reviews on Amazon, they said it was a pain to take it out to use in a car/truck but if it 'lived' on a bike, no problem.

The case is NOT a problem IF you use a RAM Ball mounting system on both vehicles. The part about taking it out of the case was only associated with using the original mount for your car (which I don't). I have a RAM suction cup mount in the car which makes using it for either vehicle very easy.

Also, you can mount it anywhere you want using the RAM Ball system. I currently mount mine off the windshield on the centerline or off the left side brake reservoir.

Halfling

Where exactly was the mount attached to, John? (the reservoir?) Also, what did you use for a screen protector?

The screen protector is just a standard thin sheet of clear material, as I recall I got it from Amazon specifically designed and sized for this unit.

thecruiser

I've been looking for a Ram Ball on a reservoir cover, can't find one.

Halfling
thecruiser

I emailed Johathan at Kennedy and will probably order the cables from him soon. All the other stuff is from Amazon.

I know your at NASSIR-8. Wish we were there. I'd like to look over your system hook up.

Later,

Larry

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,