Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

Garmin Nuvi 2797 Modification/Installation

94 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Update: I attempted to use the new GPS modification on my trip to NASSIR 8 in Edgefield SC last week with mixed results. I can hear the audio in my headset just fine (it overrides the playing audio) however the Voice Control function works but is marginal at best. Even sitting in the driveway with the engine off the GPS has a great deal of problem understanding my voice commands. I have tried various settings on my ICOM volume and muting to no avail. I am very disappointed with it at this point as the voice command feature was a big plus for me. It is possible that my older headset/microphone is not up to the task but I'm not sure and more experimentation is in order (different helmet/headset maybe).

Also, here's a pic of the RAM Ball I mounted to the back of the case so that I can use it with any of my RAM Balls and/or extensions.

RAMBall01

• Like 1

thecruiser

John,.. you have a PM.

Halfling

Here's another update on this project. It's taken awhile but life got in the way pretty badly this summer!

The GPS and it's interface: I mounted the GPS to my left side reservoir RAM mount using 3 RAM components to get it positioned where I felt comfortable with it (I really want it on the centerline but more on that later). The wiring worked as advertised and I was able to interface it with the GL1800 system using the Kennedy components mentioned earlier in this thread. The audio came in through my helmet headset and muted out the other audio (like music) properly. Very good! As far as the voice commands go, it works however it is very temperamental at best. I’m not too happy with that part of the operation so far and it requires more testing on my part. I also still need to test out the phone (Bluetooth) functionality. The additional wiring I did to make it able to return to original configuration (speaker/mic) was very successful. Just connect the 2 leads together and viola, back to normal for use in the cage!   

EZ-Mount Bracket http://www.ez-gpsmount.com/ : This mount of designed for the windshield vent and mounting a GPS along the centerline close to the windshield. It is also designed for directly mounting to the back of a GPS RAM case. On the original unit I got the tab was in an up position which was not good for my larger GPS. I bent the tab down using a vice, then I mounted a diamond shaped RAM ball allowing me to mount the GPS using a short RAM mount (2.5"). The original design required a direct mount to the back of the GPS making it almost a permanent installation (tough to get off for storage) and not adjustable which is not what I wanted. This mounting works however it is very bouncy because of the weight of the large GPS and RAM components. Until I can figure out a way to support the weight and remove the bounce I will not be using this location for my GPS.

Kevin S. (CEO of http://www.ez-gpsmount.com/ ) graciously sent me his new model for larger GPS units and it already has the downward bend in the tab (no modification required). It is essentially the same as my modified unit however the bend is much more professional than my manual modification. It is nice that he now offers both configurations.  

Now, as to GPS size and mounting. As noted above, I found the GPS a bit heavy for the windshield location especially with the added RAM equipment I used on it. It bounced pretty badly with road vibration. I will mount it there once I figure out how to add something to it to control the bounce as I really like it on the center line near the windshield. I currently have it mounted off the left reservoir for now using some additional RAM mount extensions to get it over nearer the center line and forward a bit. It is very functional in that location but again, I would prefer it on the centerline using the EZ-Mount Bracket.

RAMBall01

ShieldMount3

ShieldMount1

ResevoirMount4

ResevoirMount1

thecruiser

Hmmm, I'm wondering it I made a mistake ordering the EZ-Mount.

Kevin did say the newer version (Downward bent) was made of heaver metal also. Did you try the 'factory' downward-bent (new-and- improved version) John?

I haven't opened and installed it yet. If it bounces, that would be a problem.

Halfling

Hmmm, I'm wondering it I made a mistake ordering the EZ-Mount.

Kevin did say the newer version (Downward bent) was made of heaver metal also. Did you try the 'factory' downward-bent (new-and- improved version) John?

I haven't opened and installed it yet. If it bounces, that would be a problem.

It's not the EZ-Mount that is causing the bounce Larry. If you mount the GPS directly to the easy mount like it was designed then it would be much more stable although I didn't actually try it that way. My specific problem is that I have added additional weight (and length) by adding the RAM balls and RAM coupler to the unit. The added weight and extra length is what causes the bounce, not the EZ-Mount. I am determined to add some sort of removable support from the bottom of the unit down to the dash board.  

Note: I didn't realize the new mount was a heavier metal so I will try it today to see if it makes a difference but I suspect not.

thecruiser

I ordered the "Locking Case Cradle" thinking it was rain-tite also. It arrived today and obviously it IS NOT. I think maybe the other mount would be just a good?

What's the purpose of the 'locking Mount'? I don't care to mount it directly to the EZ-Mound. Too hard to move it to another vehicle or even just off the bike for the night.

Halfling

I ordered the "Locking Case Cradle" thinking it was rain-tite also. It arrived today and obviously it IS NOT. I think maybe the other mount would be just a good?

What's the purpose of the 'locking Mount'? I don't care to mount it directly to the EZ-Mound. Too hard to move it to another vehicle or even just off the bike for the night.

Correct, not waterproof by any means. I like it because it gives it a very rigid and secure case and also has a short hard plastic sunshield which makes a great place for attaching the Glarestomper sunshield. I think the "locking mount" is a bit inaccurate though, it bolts on and is not intended to be taken off easily. Once installed, it's there and you'd need a screw driver to take it out of the case. Also, I'm not attaching the GPS directly to the EZ-Mount, I'm attaching RAM balls that make it easily and quickly removable. Not exactly sure which "other mount" you are referring to but any GPS mount would be acceptable I'm sure. I use the RAM balls so that I can position it where I want it and also easily take it off for the night as well as quickly move it from the bike to my cage (which also has a windshield RAM mount for it).

It's certainly your choice Larry, I'm just sharing what I used.

• Like 1

thecruiser

Correct, not waterproof by any means. I like it because it gives it a very rigid and secure case and also has a short hard plastic sunshield which makes a great place for attaching the Glarestomper sunshield. I think the "locking mount" is a bit inaccurate though, it bolts on and is not intended to be taken off easily. Once installed, it's there and you'd need a screw driver to take it out of the case. Also, I'm not attaching the GPS directly to the EZ-Mount, I'm attaching RAM balls that make it easily and quickly removable. Not exactly sure which "other mount" you are referring to but any GPS mount would be acceptable I'm sure. I use the RAM balls so that I can position it where I want it and also easily take it off for the night as well as quickly move it from the bike to my cage (which also has a windshield RAM mount for it).

It's certainly your choice Larry, I'm just sharing what I used.

This is the 'other mount' I was referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAZVWNA?colid=2MS2IBZHZUB7R&coliid=I1APAY2SRDRAII&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

You have a point about the GlareStomper though. This one doesn't look like it 'clips' in. Looks like it just fits in the slot. I did buy a GlareStomper I'm not sure it would work with this one. The "lockable" one looks like a pain in the butt. I'm thinking of returning it.

I like your idea of mounting it using two Ram balls and a short (2-1/2") Socket arm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWPJ04?colid=2MS2IBZHZUB7R&coliid=I3GVY4WPEL81CT&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl 

My reasoning for my questions, John, is that I don't have a bunch of Ram parts. I don't know what works and what doesn't without ordering a bunch of stuff and returning most. I'm using you for my Ginnie Pig.

I DO want to use the GlareStomper Shield. Will have to look and see if there is a third Ram GPS mount for the 2797. Something that it will 'clip' into.

Looks like your using the 'locking' mount on the bike. You use it in the car that way too, right? (just switch it using the Ram balls)

Halfling

This is the 'other mount' I was referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAZVWNA?colid=2MS2IBZHZUB7R&coliid=I1APAY2SRDRAII&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

You have a point about the GlareStomper though. This one doesn't look like it 'clips' in. Looks like it just fits in the slot. I did buy a GlareStomper I'm not sure it would work with this one. The "lockable" one looks like a pain in the butt. I'm thinking of returning it.

I like your idea of mounting it using two Ram balls and a short (2-1/2") Socket arm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWPJ04?colid=2MS2IBZHZUB7R&coliid=I3GVY4WPEL81CT&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl 

My reasoning for my questions, John, is that I don't have a bunch of Ram parts. I don't know what works and what doesn't without ordering a bunch of stuff and returning most. I'm using you for my Ginnie Pig.

I DO want to use the GlareStomper Shield. Will have to look and see if there is a third Ram GPS mount for the 2797. Something that it will 'clip' into.

Looks like your using the 'locking' mount on the bike. You use it in the car that way too, right? (just switch it using the Ram balls)

No problem on the questions Larry! Wish we were closer for some "hands on" discussions though!!!

I have a RAM Ball fetish I guess. My parts bin is pretty well stocked with a lot of various RAM components. I also have a couple of special RAM mounts that will allow me to put a rod between the two brake reservoirs RAM mounts for another mounting option but that's a story for another thread when I get to it! 

The Glarestomper attaches using a narrow Velcro strip which should attach to just about any case you get/have. It would probably even work directly on the GPS upper edge itself. It doesn't "clip" on...

The entire point of a "case" for the GPS is to allow for it to be mounted to something other that the small Garmin mounting thingy. Usually, these cases give you a diamond shaped mounting point with a couple of screw holes. This is what is either mounted directly to the EZ-mount or you can attach a RAM ball for greater flexibility.

BTW, I use GPS City for a lot of my RAM mount stuff. That is where I bought a small bag of RAM Mount Hardware (nuts/bolts) that have come in real handy... https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-hardware-for-cradles.html

thecruiser

John,

I found out the Garmin 2797 doesn't get along well with MapSource. I have to 'quick-learn' BaseCamp. I can't unlock the maps without the Product Code.

Where do I find it?

Larry

Halfling

John,

I found out the Garmin 2797 doesn't get along well with MapSource. I have to 'quick-learn' BaseCamp. I can't unlock the maps without the Product Code.

Where do I find it?

Larry

Dang Larry, I can't say that I remember. I thought it might have come with the GPS but I don't recall now (I know I had it though). I suggest a call to Garmin Support to see if they can assist.

thecruiser

I hope I get a chance to call before I leave on Friday. I can't make a route on the computer and download it onto the Nuvi 'til I can unlock it.I looked all over the box and paperwork for it. NOTHING!  Grrrr.

I finished putting in the hitch and wiring as well as the CB today. Tomorrow I hope to get the shelter and the rest back on so I can start it , warm it up and change the oil.  

thecruiser

I found from Garmin support that the new GPS models are automatically unlocked, no disc or unlock code needed. The asked for unlock code was for an old Mapsorce map in my computer. Can't delete it yet. Instructions from Garmin didn't work. Maybe when I finally delete Mapsource It will disappear then. 

The CB won't turn on. Checking the manual now to see where to start...

VTF6B

Oh JOHN.....do I have the GPS for you!!!!

I am selling my Garmin Zumo 590LM with a Kradellock to keep it secured on the bike.  I purchased it last year just prior to N7.  I love it, but Scarlett has a GPS built in so I no longer need it.  You can check out the 590LM specs here...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-590lm/prod145273.html

and the Kradellock here....

http://www.kradellock.com/

If interested, PM me for price and pics.

(edited to add "and pics")

Hi, I'm interested in your GPS. How much? txt me or call 7074791449

jobe05

THat GPS has been sold to another member

Halfling

I'm bumping this one up as it has become relevant again...at least for me...

Bluthundr31

That setup you have made REALLY looks good John, ,you've every right to be happy/proud about how it turned out.  I wish I knew more to help you with the mic/voice command issue.  You'll get 'er done, , ,I'm sure of it.

Nice job!

Halfling

Thanks Dennis! I've got a new bike and new helmet now so I am working on the interface again.  Maybe with the new stuff it will work better! We will see and I will post the results here...

jobe05

I gave up on the voice command part of the 2797.....  it apparently doesn’t understand “southern”......  has never even come close to getting the right address when I speak very clearly and slowly to it.

i got a notice yesterday that there was an update. I just updated about a month ago but figured if it’s new, I’ll go ahead and do it again. After the update I put in the address for Alabama and had a hard time to get it to find Oxnard, but it finally did. I checked the route and it had me traveling my neighborhood for about 35 miles, then took me to Augusta Ga and made a big loop just befor Augusta and stopped there.........  wished I had not done the update!!!  After about an hour and a half, I was able to get my end flag on Oxford, even though the rout still doesn’t show it going there......  hoping after a couple of uses it will figure it out.

• Confused 1