Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

Garmin Nuvi 2797 Modification/Installation

97 posts in this topic Last Reply

m2102

the price was 399.99$. on their site. I went to he bottom of the page and clicked on motorcycles. that went to the rider gps. I can't remember the screen size but I want to say it was 5". find a link to bikes on their site and should take you to it.

jobe05

Thanks Mike, found it......  4.3" screen......... 

Halfling

I'm moving forward with the Garmin Nuvi 2797 conversion. That 7" screen is what I'm after at this point (and Bluetooth). Ordered all of the components yesterday. Looks like I will have to go a bit longer without getting my CB fixed!

• Like 1

Halfling

Here are the details if anyone is interested in doing this, if you add up the "required" it comes to $374.95 then add in the "optional" items I wanted for another $68.30 for a total of $443.25

GPS City

Garmin Nuvi 2797LMT Newly Overhauled 1ea $179.95

(Optional) RAM Mount Garmin dezl 760 RV 760 nuvi 2757 2797 Locking Case Cradle RAM-HOL-GA61LU 1ea $35.84

NOTE: If you get the Ram mount do not forget to get this for the back of it...RAM MountDiamond Plate with 1 inch Ball RAM-B-238U 1ea $6.76

Glarestomper.com

(Optional) Soft Sunscreen GlareStomper Model 324  1ea $23.87 (Free Shipping)

Amazon

(Optional) VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS 2ea $9.98 (Note: I ordered 2 because they were cheep and I want to modify one to see what I can come up with)

NOTE: if using the optional Ram Mount Garmin dezi Case Cradle listed above you WILL NOT be able to use this item. Do not order!

(Optional) 3x Garmin Nuvi 2797 2797LT 2797LM 2797LMT 7" GPS Premium Clear LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard Shield Protective Film Kits 1ea $8.98

(Optional) Extra Large Hard Shell Carry Case For Garmin Nuvi 2757LM, Nuvi 2797LMT, RV 760LMT 7" GPS 1ea $13.50

NOTE: if using the optional Ram Mount Garmin dezi Case Cradle listed above you WILL NOT be able to use this item. Do not order!

Kennedy Technology

Shipping for the 3 items below was $10.00

CellSet, MC3-ICS/MIC

Part Number: 95413rev1

Price: US$85

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95413R1assydwg.pdf

Harness, GPS, 2797, and pigtail, with modification instructions

Part Number: 95590rev0

Price: US$60.

Note: Installation instructions here - http://cellset.com/65531R0.pdf

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95590R0assydwg.pdf

Harness, Intercom, GL1800, type 2

Part Number: 95258rev0

Price: US$40

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95258R0assydwg.pdf

jobe05

I want to do it.......  But Im going to wait to see what your results are first, and I have to pay my Credit Card off as my wife absolutely destroyed it last weekend..............  Not to mention I also had to buy another service van.......... 

m2102

I'm moving forward with the Garmin Nuvi 2797 conversion. That 7" screen is what I'm after at this point (and Bluetooth). Ordered all of the components yesterday. Looks like I will have to go a bit longer without getting my CB fixed!

that size of screen is like a small tv on board,lol. don't think i'm ready for one that size but maybe some day. good luck with it. let us know how it works with the bumps and such on the road

Halfling

that size of screen is like a small tv on board,lol. don't think i'm ready for one that size but maybe some day. good luck with it. let us know how it works with the bumps and such on the road

What bumps? I just installed new progressive monotubes!!!! 

:SmileyTooth:

m2102

OOPS, forgot abut that

:angel-praying-smiley-emoticon:

jobe05

I have my TomTom 6" suction mounted to the center of my windscreen, right above the vent.  That location provides a quick glance so I can see it and not let my eyes off the road for long.  (The way I drive, I can't afford to have my eyes leave the road)......

During our trip to Florida, Not once did the unit do anything quirky like it usually does, and we were on some pretty good washboard roads!  The new springs really smothed things out a lot.

Snorebaby

dadztoy....I use this program to make my routes http://www.tyretotravel.com/  It is free (has ads) or you can purchase it.  If you can connect your Garmin or TomTom to your computer, you can download your own routes into the GPS.  It is a little finicky to get used to, but once learned it is great to use.  I use it quite a bit and since my new GL1800 (Scarlett) has a Garmin based GPS, I can take the flash card out of the bike and download my routes into it.

I also have a Garmin 590LM with Kradellock for sale (no longer need it as Scarlett's GPS is built in).  I love it and used it on my GL1500 (Pearl) and used the program to download my routes to it.  The 590LM also has weather, traffic and music among numerous other features.

dadztoy

Thanks Doug, I'll take a look at that site...  I'll keep your 590 in mind if I find anyone looking for one -  I am not in the market currently and quite satisified with my 665 Zumo - just pissed at Garmin... :ANGRY:

Les

Halfling

Here are the details if anyone is interested in doing this, if you add up the "required" it comes to $374.95 then add in the "optional" items I wanted for another $68.30 for a total of $443.25

GPS City

Garmin Nuvi 2797LMT Newly Overhauled 1ea $179.95

(Optional) RAM Mount Garmin dezl 760 RV 760 nuvi 2757 2797 Locking Case Cradle RAM-HOL-GA61LU 1ea $35.84

Amazon

(Optional) VicTsing Navigator Sun Shade Glare Visor Shield for 7 inch GPS 2ea $9.98 (Note: I ordered 2 because they were cheep and I want to modify one to see what I can come up with)

(Optional) 3x Garmin Nuvi 2797 2797LT 2797LM 2797LMT 7" GPS Premium Clear LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard Shield Protective Film Kits 1ea $8.98

(Optional) Extra Large Hard Shell Carry Case For Garmin Nuvi 2757LM, Nuvi 2797LMT, RV 760LMT 7" GPS 1ea $13.50

Kennedy Technology

Shipping for the 3 items below was $10.00

CellSet, MC3-ICS/MIC

Part Number: 95413rev1

Price: US$85

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95413R1assydwg.pdf

Harness, GPS, 2797, and pigtail, with modification instructions

Part Number: 95590rev0

Price: US$60.

Note: Installation instructions here - http://cellset.com/65531R0.pdf

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95590R0assydwg.pdf

Harness, Intercom, GL1800, type 2

Part Number: 95258rev0

Price: US$40

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95258R0assydwg.pdf

Update: Received GPS, Ram Mount and all of the Kennedy Technology components today. The only surprise for me so far is that the GPS Ram Mount Case did not come with the actual ram ball to attach to the back. My own fault I guess (it didn't say it was included and it wasn't in any of the pics). I think I have one kicking around here somewhere!

Hooked the GPS up to the computer with the very short cable provided, downloaded Garmin Express for Windows and updated the Maps in less than an hour. I also downloaded the manual (a PDF document). Now it's time to play with it a bit. I probably won't start modifying the wiring until later this week.

P.S. Not sure if I needed to order the sun shield either (not received yet), the Ram Mount has a sunshield on it. I did go ahead and ordered a GlarStomper for it though as I liked the pic Dusty had posted of his.

Halfling

Update:

I was able to easily transfer all of my favorites over to the new 2797 from my old 1450 using Gaminexpress, nice!

I spent some time getting used to the user interface, not that much different from my 1450, the bigger screen is awesome, faster loading, more configuration settings available.

I set up and tested the voice commands, this is also awesome! I tested it in the comfort of my living room so out on the road may be a bit harder (background noise) but we'll see.

I connected to my cell phone via bluetooth and making and recieving calls works great! Phone book is loaded as well as call history. If I set up some voice activated phone numbers in my phones contact list I can call using voice commands. 

I have downloaded the smartphone app "Smartphone Link" and confirmed its interface with the GPS. I haven't played with it any further as yet.

Here's the actual layout of the components and their connections.

GPS Connection 2

GL1800 Connections

jobe05

Nice setup!!  Love the picture, good work.

Halfling

I mounted the new 2797 to the ram mount on the left handle bar this morning for the ride into work (it's not wired in as yet, just testing). It's size is awesome and I really really really like it. It also has a nice screen layout for the additional items on the screen, nice improvements over the older program and with the additional real estate on the screen its not jumbled together.

I also installed a screen protector last night, it was a pain but isn't it always!

• Like 1

jobe05

I was trying to visualize what a big screen would look like if it was on the handle bars (Maybe you can post a picture later).  I got use to having it right there in front of me, but I guess if I could hear the directions it wouldn't be that big a deal having on the bars versus right in front of me.  Although in the twisties it's nice to have it right there so I can quickly see the turns that are coming up.

• Like 1

Halfling

Here's a couple of pics from yesterday. After about 80 miles of it in this position I have pretty much decided that it is actaully too close for comfort. I have ordered a double ram ball connector that I will use on the left handlebar location to extend it forward out toward the windshield by about six inches or so.

CockpitView1

CockpitView2

Halfling

Update: there are a couple of "optional" items that I ordered that are not actually going to work out for my configuration and I noted in this listing I made above (sun shield and hard case). The ram mount case is meant to be nearly permanently attached and it makes them both unuseable.

Sun is still a problem as the ram mount case only has a small hard shade (maybe one inch). I ordered the soft sun shade from Glarestomper.com that Dusty showed us in an earlier post.

jobe05

THat location is what I was trying to visualize, with my 6" it seems like an awkward location......  My eyes are getting bad, but not that bad.

Do they make a suction cup mount for it that I could suction right to the windshield?

Halfling

It comes with a suction cup mount for the smaller Garmin knob (not the 1 inch ram ball) which means that you would not be able to use the (Optional) RAM Mount Garmin dezl 760 RV 760 nuvi 2757 2797 Locking Case Cradle RAM-HOL-GA61LU 1ea $35.84

However, if you want to use the Ram Cradle with a ram ball you can order a Ram suction cup mount at about $16 from GPS City. I ordered one for my cage so that I don't have to take it out of its Ram Cradle.

dadztoy

That is quite a bit of screen real estate John - should be really easy to see...  I use the Glarestomper on my Zumo 665 and did the soft wire mod so that it holds it's shape a bit better...  I can still fold it up on the GPS if desired so no issues there...   BTW -  we are back from Hawaii now - got home late this morning...

Les

Halfling

That is quite a bit of screen real estate John - should be really easy to see...  I use the Glarestomper on my Zumo 665 and did the soft wire mod so that it holds it's shape a bit better...  I can still fold it up on the GPS if desired so no issues there...   BTW -  we are back from Hawaii now - got home late this morning...

Les

"Soft Wire Mod"??? I got my Glarestomper yesterday so fill me in on this Mod please!

dadztoy

OK - you cut a slit in the forward edge seam of the Glarestomper on one side only and feed in a piece of soft copper wire or pipe cleaner, etc and it stiffens up the edge of the Glarestomper so it holds the shape you put it in...  I'll show you on mine when we get together...

I have read a few recent reviews on the newer Glarestompers which leads me ti believe that the new ones already have this wire sewn in - will have to see yours when we get together...

Les

Halfling

OK - you cut a slit in the forward edge seam of the Glarestomper on one side only and feed in a piece of soft copper wire or pipe cleaner, etc and it stiffens up the edge of the Glarestomper so it holds the shape you put it in...  I'll show you on mine when we get together...

I have read a few recent reviews on the newer Glarestompers which leads me ti believe that the new ones already have this wire sewn in - will have to see yours when we get together...

Les

No wire in mine that I can tell....not very stiff at all.

Dusty Boots

John  ....   with the size of that GPS and where you have chosen to mount it, it could very well interfere with full lock turns, with the GPS hitting the windscreen(?), nevermind it being distracting to view it

I'd be thinking on mounting it on a Texelent accessory bar  where that large screen would not interfere with turning and be easier to read while riding as the screen is mounted more to the centre instead of off to the side