Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

Garmin Nuvi 2797 Modification/Installation

94 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

It's been a few years (5 I think) since I last did my homework on a GPS for my ride. It is now time for a new GPS so I am interested to hear your recommendations.

I prefer a large touch screen with an audio out jack (not required).

Anyone have any good recommendations?

thecruiser

I'll have to follow this thread, John. I may be looking for a new GPS in the near future myself.

I had to upgrade my Garmin Zumo 550 maps after my computer was wiped clean in order to get a new MapSource program and have had problems with it ever since.

Sorry we couldn't hook up when you were in Florida. See ya in Va at the camp-out for sure.

I don't think I want another Garmin.

Dusty Boots

Good luck in trying to find a newer GPS that has an Audio Out jack, unless you spend mega bucks!  

Myself, having a GPS with an Audio Out jack is of utmost importance, as well as having the ability to upload my own custom routes onto it.

Everything else is secondary beyond those two points. Half the time you can't see the screen very well (no matter what the size) even with a GlareStomper sun shield on it, due to glare when the sun is shining over your shoulder.

Having the ability to hear turn commands in high traffic noise situations through my headset alieves a lot of the stress when navigating in unknown areas of a city/country. You also don't have to remove your eyes from the road

My older Garmin Nuvi 765T has these features, plus a lot more and has proven to be very reliable over the past 5 years, enduring all kinds of road/weather conditions imaginable.

You can pick up a good used unit for ~$65 off of eBay.

5776046435_10fb700b87_z.jpg

7425460590_b3bc5359c7_z.jpg

12254447513_6b06404bcd_z.jpg

9381765885_f856c98c76_z.jpg

My $0.02   ....  Dusty

jobe05

I have a 6" Tom Tom 1605.  It suctions to the windscreen and rarely falls off, if it does, I have it tethered so it's not going anywhere.  I like it for several reasons, #1 is the size of the unit.  I have it mounted right in front of me on the windscreen so it's easy to see without having to turn my head at all. It's large so it's easy to read and is loud enough to hear to hear.  I don't need a sunshade as I can just till the unit down a little more and can always see it, sun isn't an issue 99% of the time.  #2 would be the price of the unit, $169 new, cheaper on EBAY.  I also have a 4.5" Tom Tom affixed to the handlebars but sun is an issue, Size is small, my eyes leave the road to long because I can't hear it, I have to look, but it makes a nice spare.  It's been wet so many times it aint funny as it's been on my bikes for the past 6 years, and still works good.

Im thinking of buying one of those cheap Japanese 7" units off EBay that also plays movies........  They have the audio out jack also.  Just don't think they will work well or last long.  But it's one of those things that you have to try so you'll know.......

Halfling

I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 with lifetime maps that has treated me well (no audio out jack tho). I have the map software and can program my routes on the computer for upload. My current issue is that it's getting a little "buggy", reboots randomly and my trust level is not as good as it used to be. I will probably stick with Garmin just becasue I am familiar with it and like the functionality.

I'd like to go to a 6" or 7" screen as well.

The Garmin Nuvi 2797 is interesting (7") but again, no audio out jack (if I could get into the case without breaking something I could probably wire in an audio output).

Snorebaby

Oh JOHN.....do I have the GPS for you!!!!

I am selling my Garmin Zumo 590LM with a Kradellock to keep it secured on the bike.  I purchased it last year just prior to N7.  I love it, but Scarlett has a GPS built in so I no longer need it.  You can check out the 590LM specs here...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-590lm/prod145273.html

and the Kradellock here....

http://www.kradellock.com/

If interested, PM me for price and pics.

(edited to add "and pics")

Halfling

OK, I just may have found a solution I can get excited about.

This guy took a Garmin Nuvi 2797 (7" screen), opened up the case and modified it to to work with the Goldwing's headset/microphone. Check it out!

http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

jobe05

I like that one John!  The GPS Mod would seem pretty straight forward but Im not familiar with how you could tie that into the bike!

I may follow your lead on this one.  I like the idea of voice commands and the "Look Ahead" feature as I would use that the most.  My GPS now, I have to stop, look at POI's on my route but invariably it finds a place and sets a route to turn around and go back to get to the place.

Halfling

I like that one John!  The GPS Mod would seem pretty straight forward but Im not familiar with how you could tie that into the bike!

I may follow your lead on this one.  I like the idea of voice commands and the "Look Ahead" feature as I would use that the most.  My GPS now, I have to stop, look at POI's on my route but invariably it finds a place and sets a route to turn around and go back to get to the place.

Hey John, did you look at his home page? He has the procedure for installing the Monotubes...

jobe05

$900 to install Mono tubes??? I may have found a new sideline!!

I like his seal seating tool, Looks familiar!

jobe05

It would appear, (I could have read it wrong), That you would also have to buy the adapter kit to hook it up to the wing.

http://www.cellset.com/motorcycleitems.html

m2102

TOM TOM is coming out with a new bike friendly gps in april I believe. says it has look ahead, what lane to be in, traffic warning to help avoid and more. cheaper than the zumo's

jobe05

Thanks for the heads up Mike!  Im partial to TomTom.  It's all I have used and am for the most part familiar with them enough to feel comfortable programing something in while Riding the bike down the road at the same time.

m2102

I mite have to take another look at them too. the one coming out is touch screen, will follow your ride to go back again and put in your own way you want to go. and if remember right, it will tell you of any twisties  nearby.

Halfling

I had a Tom Tom for 24 hours once, took it back for a refund....during my test it took me into a parking lot....I probably didn't give it a fair shake but I knew right away that I didn't care for it.

I think there is a lot to be said for the "familiarity" that John talked about. I am very familiar with the Garmin so will probably not be moving away from it any time soon.

jobe05

Garmin is OK, I would put them right there with Tom \Tom for usability.  Magellan?  Never had good luck with them........ 

Halfling

I have been in contact with Jonathan Jambor at Kennedy Technical Group in Kansas and he has provided the following information. Looks like it will add about $185 to the price of the GPS for a complete and professional looking DIY installation which is not very attractive. Note: it will also void any warranty on the GPS. I was hoping for something less expensive but I really like that 7" screen and all of the options available. 

(Items with the * are required items)

Connecting a Garmin nüvi 2797 to an 1800 Goldwing:

*"A" CellSet, MC3-ICS/MIC

Part Number: 95413rev1

Price: US$85

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95413R1assydwg.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------

*"C" Harness, GPS, 2797, and pigtail, with modification instructions

Part Number: 95590rev0

Price: US$60.

Note: Installation instructions here  -  http://cellset.com/65531R0.pdf

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95590R0assydwg.pdf

*"B" Harness, Intercom, GL1800, type 2

Part Number: 95258rev0

Price: US$40

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95258R0assydwg.pdf

The following harnesses are not required, but if you do not have a cigarette lighter socket available for powering the GPS, you can use these harnesses to connect the nüvi power cable to the bike:

Harness, Power, cigarette lighter socket

Part Number: 95387rev0

Price: US$15

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95387R0assydwg.pdf

Harness, Power, 1800-US, switched

Part Number: 95201rev0

Price: US$25

Assembly Drawing: www.cellset.com/95201R0assydwg.pdf

If you prefer not to perform the modification, I can do it for you. 

Modification service, nüvi 2797

Part Number: 99014rev0

Price: US$50

To order, give me a call or send me an email.  I accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, PayPal,  and your personal or company check.  

If you want me to do the modification, I will send you specific shipping instructions once the order has been placed.

http://www.cellset.com/ 

jobe05

I looked at that yesterday and am still not clear on where everything gets plugged into in the wing.  Might be self explanatory once the bike is opened up.  Also don't see how the wiring comes out to the GPS unit.  I see one of the pigtails on #95258RO assembly is 16" long, but it doesn't appear to be the right connector and is 16" long enough to get you out of the left pocket area (Assuming it connects there) to the GPS?.........  I'm thinking of where my GPS is on the wind shield, which I like.

Halfling

I looked at that yesterday and am still not clear on where everything gets plugged into in the wing.  Might be self explanatory once the bike is opened up.  Also don't see how the wiring comes out to the GPS unit.  I see one of the pigtails on #95258RO assembly is 16" long, but it doesn't appear to be the right connector and is 16" long enough to get you out of the left pocket area (Assuming it connects there) to the GPS?.........  I'm thinking of where my GPS is on the wind shield, which I like.

Look at this drawing http://www.cellset.com/95590R0assydwg.pdf, the 6" part goes into the GPS (it has a gromet) and the 6' (6 foot) part goes from that to the Kennedy Interface Module that will be mounted under the left side pocket. I'm still looking at the remaining conncections.

I just ordered a refurbished unit, ram mount locking case/cradle, screen protectors, & 2 sun shades. I will be ordering the Kennedy stuff listed above in a few minutes.I also got a weatherproof hardcase ram mount for my Galaxy Note 3 phone.

jobe05

Thanks, That make that part a little more understandable.

Halfling

Hey John, try this...I think it might be a little clearer for all of the connections....A, B & C are the 3 required items mentioned above, I marked them accordingly.

GL1800 Connections

jobe05

Yes, it does.  The connection to the 5 pin headset cord is what I was thinking, but it was never spelled out.  And the 2 connectors that go to the GPS unit show up as square connectors in the drawings when it's not, visually, that was confusing.........   

dadztoy

Hey guys,

ya know, I use a Zumo 665 on my bike and love it, even though I have a Navi bike...  The Honda Navi on my 09 is pretty much a useless device as I always program routes on my computer...

Normally John I would say go Garmin, but I have been so turned off (pun intended) by Garmin and their BS regarding supporting Base Camp and the Zumo series, I have said along with others that if a viable alternative came out, I would switch and tell Garmin to go "pound sand"!!!  I will be watching that Tom Tom for bikes to see what it looks like...

I still use my 665 exclusively and still program routes with both Base camp and Map SOurce but I haven't updated my 2014.xx mapsets because that seems to be where the problems lie...  Additionally, Garmin doesn't seem to listen to bikers and what we are asking for, kind of like Mother Honda...  How freakin long does it take before we get an electrically adjustable windscreen or built in Bluetooth...

Anyway, I love my 665 and use it's full functionality in the form of GPS, MP3 player, XM with Nav Traffic and Nav Weather, and also Bluetooth for cell service...  If it ever takes a yak on me, not sure what I will go with...  Would probably switch XM and Nav weather to the bike and go from there...  I

I have an older Nuvi 660 that I used on the bike and it has worked well in the past except you cannot load routes into it...

Does anyone have a link to that new bike Tom Tom unit???

Les

m2102

just go to their web site, http://tomtom.com. it will be on the first page that opens, just scroll a little. it's called the RIDER .appropriate name.. not a bad price either

jobe05

I didn't see a price on it Mike, What was it?  Also didn't see a screen size.