Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Ol-Man

DIY Pet trailer

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ol-Man

Anyone built a pet trailer? I have an 85 lb heinz (mostly Staffie/Rottie mix) that I would like to drag with us on our '96 GL1500A Motortrike. Can't really afford new-bought here at the poor farm.  :sad-face: 

jobe05

My biggest concern with putting pets in a trailer is they are breathing in all those exhaust fumes......

I wouldn't put my pets back there

If they are small dogs you can modify your trunk lid to carry them or get a pet carrier that you can mount either on the back seat or the trunk rack.

• Like 1

Ol-Man

My biggest concern with putting pets in a trailer is they are breathing in all those exhaust fumes......

I wouldn't put my pets back there

If they are small dogs you can modify your trunk lid to carry them or get a pet carrier that you can mount either on the back seat or the trunk rack.

Never thought about that aspect. Anyone ever put a sidecar on a trike? :lol:  

• Like 1

DougW

They make commercial trailers with dog boxes on them to haul whole packs of dog. Horses, cattle and all manner of animals are hauled behind vehicles and I have never heard of an animal having problems from the exhaust. If you are concerned at all, put a pair of turndowns on the exhaust to be sure it goes under the trailer.

• Like 2

waltja02

I think Rudy had posted pictures a long time ago where he made a pet carrier that attached to his wing

• Like 1

KickButts

Being behind a vehicle the exhaust is just like setting in the back seat of a car with someone smoking. U WILL get sick just like cattle and hogs do on long trips to slaughter behind semi trucks

• Like 1

AJ1500

Never thought about that aspect. Anyone ever put a sidecar on a trike? :lol:  

Yes, not sure you wanted to hear that but it has been done :SmileyTooth:

oops didn't notice how old this thread was

• Like 1

Power Guy

post-5521-0-95455100-1472228300_thumb.jpg

CrystalPistol

Years ago I was stopping to check my local Rest Area as part of my patrol and there was a fellow with a BMW K series that has the engine laid over ... not a "boxer".  

Hooked to it was a  aluminum bodied trailer with a wedge shaped front nose that tapered down to a point from side and top at about 30 degrees est.  The top of the front "cone" had a triangle shaped door that was hinged along one side and had a latch at the opposite "point".   This accessed a compartment that contained food, water, etc for his companion and some of his own stuff (he also had saddle bags  and a seat bag, etc)

Behind the cone area was a more or less, "large box" area that had a round hole in top with a thickly padded collar around it and a maybe 8-9" high tapered windshield across the front ahead of the padded collar.  To access this area he would open the rear "door"  which carried his red tail & brake lights, signals and tlr tag. 

The neatest part was the exhaust .... he had a fitting on the back of the BMW exhaust  with a flexible exhaust pipe section attached that ran back to the trailer and attached to a long straight pipe pointed out under the trailer ... and the maybe 2" dia pipe was simply held in two "U" shaped hangers and was free to move forwards and back as the bike / trailer turned left or right.  He had some short rollers on the "U"s even.   Exhaust exited at rear of trailer.  The trailer body was mostly polished aluminum with some painted areas and used a lot of recessed flush rivets.   

I forget what exactly the dog was, it was large, tan & black, like a big hound .... and weighed likely 50-70 lbs.  Good size pooch.   Dog was let in / out of trailer by owner, he had water in front of his ride compartment he could get to, extra water was up front.  Compartment was thickly padded inside on sides and top and he had a plastic like padded pad on floor.  Dog was big enough to sit up in compartment and stick his head up into opening at top and look around at will .... hence the windshield.

I talked to the guy  a good 45 min - hour as he showed me his handiwork.   He was going through Va. as part of a long bike road trip with his dog  ... his job was at Boeing in Seattle, Wa.  

Somewhere I have a bunch of pictures .... have to look for them.   It was a sharp rig.   Pooch seemed happy, very friendly.